Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grip Strength - Deadlifts Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tips for improving this?

Once I get up to around 120kg for sets of 5 it seems to go completely to pot, obviously this is pretty rubbish. Don't want to use straps either.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you're already doing alternate grip (i.e. one palm faces forward, the other backward). Get some chalk, I use the liquid stuff from Myprotein; only put it on for heavy sets. Do this and your grip strength will improve since you'll be stressing it as you work up to your heaviest DL set; plus you'll be using it in other exercises (e.g. pull ups, bent over rows, etc. so it'll catch up eventually)

ReputationRep:
    As above, chalk helps massively, amazon sell it for a couple quid for chalk balls, they last months.

Ideally you want to increase grip strength, this will happen with again as said doing pulling barbell exercises mainly deadlift, providing you are going for reps (above 3). Make sure you really squeeze the bar tight. If you have an axel bar use that for deadlifting, you my have to lower the weight slightly until your hands get used to it, but this seriously improves grip strength. Another really good way to improve is to do deadlift hangs at the end of your deadlifts or as part of your routine. Moderate weight on the bar, hold for around 25-40 seconds, try and beat your time each week. Also don't do alternate grip when doing deadlift hangs.

You could also hang from a pull up bar.

If you want to improve grip strength, stay way from hook grip, straps and alternate grip for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Do you do deadlifts primarily for your grip?

If the answers to this question is no then nothing wrong with straps. If the answer is yes then you're doing it wrong.

Train grip separately if you want. Unless you plan on competing in powerlifting then stop making silly excuses and use the aid you need to properly work your big muscles. Even if you plan on powerlifting then use chalk and mixed grip, just no straps.

ReputationRep:
    Post your age/height/weight and typical week of training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    Post your age/height/weight and typical week of training.
    22/6 foot/ 82 kg/ Starting Strength on M/W/F

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same thing, but transitioning into intermediate programming over the next couple months.

I used to be almost exactly the same weight, and my grip on sets of 5 would start going to **** around 140kg. All I can tell you from my own experience is to gain weight and add more volume at submax weights, pulling everything double overhand except your work set.

For example, my last workout was:
    60x5
    80x5
    100x3
    120x1
    155x6 (mixed grip)
    115 hold to failure
    110 hold to failure

You might want to start adding chins for more grip work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    I'm doing the same thing, but transitioning into intermediate programming over the next couple months.

I used to be almost exactly the same weight, and my grip on sets of 5 would start going to **** around 140kg. All I can tell you from my own experience is to gain weight and add more volume at submax weights, pulling everything double overhand except your work set.

For example, my last workout was:
    60x5
    80x5
    100x3
    120x1
    155x6 (mixed grip)
    115 hold to failure
    110 hold to failure

You might want to start adding chins for more grip work.
    You'll probably get to the stage relatively soon where your final warmup will be too heavy for DOH.

Also do you use chalk?

ReputationRep:
    I'll make a note of that, cheers. I do use chalk.

ReputationRep:
    Mixed grip + chalk should be enough really for those weights, if you're deadlifting regularly. Don't use straps for deadlifts. Straps are OK for most pulling exercises, but don't really offer anything more than a mixed grip on deads.

The thing that has not been mentioned is getting the grip itself right. It's not just a case of bend down, put your hand on the bar and pull. I always take a few seconds really screwing my hands tight onto the bar, and I squeeze the hell out of it when I lift. There are plenty of articles about proper grip on the internet and I'd advise looking some up, but the things that really helped me banish grip issues were adjusting the placement of the bar in my hands, and my thumb placement. I should say my grip used to fail around the 180kg mark. After fixing my grip technique my deadlift could increase again and I've never had any further issues, even up to 255kg. This was without any other dedicated grip work.

Firstly, I used to grip with the bar in my fingers. Some places will tell you this is better. I'm not so sure. It may be more comfortable, but it is certainly harder. When I moved the bar up so that it was resting on the fleshy bit of my palm just below my fingers, my ability to hold the bar increased immeasurably.

Secondly, I used to wrap my thumb around the bar itself. Later I transitioned to wrapping my thumb over my first two fingers and squeezing them down. This means you can really squeeze your hand into the bar and helps a lot with all pulling movements. I also chalk the back of those two fingers for deadlifts, because if the thumb slips the grip weakens and can break.

Technique may not be your problem. All I'm saying is give it a go and you may well smash that impediment on your deadlift like I did.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.