Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Haven't trained in 6 weeks. Best course of action? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went travelling for 6 weeks and have just got back. I've been to the gym twice since then and both times have been a depressing affair. My upper body strentgh hasn't suffered much but my lower body is noticeably weaker. Whereas I'd just reached a personal best of 65kg 3x3 squats the day before I left, I am now struggling with 40kg.
    Part of me wants to push myself to lift heavier and heavier, but I know this is only going to lead to me injuring myself. Is muscle memory even a thing? Will it take as long as it did in the first place to build my strength up again?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it obvious? Start training again!!!!

It won't take as long to regain strength as it did to build it in the first place. But you may want to ensure you are eating at least maintenance if not slightly above to help speed up re-gains.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.