Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the advance reading list for English? There is one on the birmingham website but I am unsure if this is the current reading list for 2014/2015. I missed the applicant day and so didn't receive the information if this was given to us then.
    Please send me the list if you have it. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm hoping to do English Lit joint honours with Classical Lit and Civ, I'm guessing the reading lists are the same for English? I missed the Applicant Visit Day too and had the same worry, but I rang up the English department today to check and the lady I spoke to said that the Advance reading list on the website (the 2013/2014) is the same as the 2014/2015. She recommended to read a few from the first semester before September if you had time, mainly The God of Small Things, as it will be the first text we look at, and also The Heart of Darkness. Hope this helps! She said she would email me the detailed list of modules that they received on the AVD, so i'll pass them on when I get them?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a reading list too. Going to do German and Eng Lit though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottep3ng)
    Hi, I'm hoping to do English Lit joint honours with Classical Lit and Civ, I'm guessing the reading lists are the same for English? I missed the Applicant Visit Day too and had the same worry, but I rang up the English department today to check and the lady I spoke to said that the Advance reading list on the website (the 2013/2014) is the same as the 2014/2015. She recommended to read a few from the first semester before September if you had time, mainly The God of Small Things, as it will be the first text we look at, and also The Heart of Darkness. Hope this helps! She said she would email me the detailed list of modules that they received on the AVD, so i'll pass them on when I get them?
    Thank you so much! I emailed the English admissions office but they have yet to get back to me (and I'm not sure if I even emailed the right place) but it would be such a great help if you could pass on the information once you receive it.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them at the beginning of June about a 2014 reading list - this is the one they've given me! I think it's pretty similar, if not the same as, the one on the website.

Reading Lists

Literature

These are some of the focal primary texts that you will be studying in your core first year literature modules:

Literary Aesthetics after 1800 (Semester 1)
    Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things (London: Harper Perennial, 2004)
    Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness and Other Tales, ed. by Cedric Watts (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008)
    Robert Browning, Selected Poems, ed. by Daniel Karlin (London: Penguin Classics, 2000)
    Christina Rossetti, Selected Poems, ed. by Alison Chapman (London: Penguin Classics, 2008)
    Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway, ed. by David Bradshaw (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008)
    James Joyce, Dubliners, ed. by Jeri Johnson (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008)

Literary Aesthetics before 1800 (Semester 2)

Malory, Le Morte Darthur, ed. by Stephen H.A. Shepherd (New York: W.W. Norton, 2004)
    Marlowe, Dr Faustus

Kyd, The Spanish Tragedy

Marston, The Malcontent

Middleton, The Changeling

18th Century verse, including Pope, An Epistle to Dr Arbuthnot

The following anthologies will be used for the drama and poetry in this module:
    Arthur F. Kinney, ed., Renaissance Drama: An Anthology of Plays and Entertainments, 2nd edn (Oxford: Blackwell, 2005)
    David Fairer and Christine Gerrard, eds, Eighteenth-Century Poetry: An Annotated Anthology, 2nd edn (Oxford: Blackwell, 2004)

Language for Literature

These are some of the core texts that you will be using in your first year language modules:

David Crystal, The Stories of English (London: Penguin, 2005)
    R. Carter, A. Goddard, D. Reah, K. Sanger and M. Bowring, Working with Texts: a Core Book for Language Analysis (London: Routledge, 1997/2001/2008).
    L. Jeffries,*Discovering Language: the Structure of Modern English (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006).
    P. Simpson, Stylistics: A Resource Book for Students (London: Routledge, 2004).

Landmarks in European Literature
    Dante Alighieri, Inferno, trans. J. D. Sinclair (Oxford University Press, 1981).
    Three Plays by Pedro Calderón de la Barca, adapted by Adrian Mitchell and John Barton (Bath:Absolute Classics, 1990). [ The Mayor of Zalamea, Life's a Dream, The Great Theatre of the World].
    Choderlos de Laclos, Les liaisons dangereuses, trans. Douglas Parmée, introduction by David Coward (Oxford: Oxford University Press (World's Classics), 2008).
    Thomas Mann, Death in Venice & Other Stories, trans. David Luke (London: Vintage, 1998), pp. 195-267.
    Thomas Mann, Mario and the Magician & Other Stories, trans. H. T. Lowe-Porter (London: Vintage, 2000), pp. 113-157.

Writing the Region
    A few key texts:
    Henry Green, Living in Loving, Living, Party Going (London: Vintage, 2005)
    Jonathan Coe, The Rotters’ Club (London: Penguin, 2002)
    Arnold Bennett, Clayhanger (Kelly Bray: House of Stratus, 2008)

Creative Writing
    These texts are the advanced reading recommended by the department for your first year Creative Writing module:
    Ted Hughes, Poetry in the Making (London: Faber and Faber, 2008).
    Stephen King, On Writing (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2012).
    Ruth Padel, 52 Ways of Looking at a Poem (London: Vintage, 2005).*
    James Wood, How Fiction Works (London: Vintage, 2009).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverneek)
    I emailed them at the beginning of June about a 2014 reading list - this is the one they've given me! I think it's pretty similar, if not the same as, the one on the website.

Reading Lists

Literature

These are some of the focal primary texts that you will be studying in your core first year literature modules:

Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness and Other Tales, ed. by Cedric Watts (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008)
    Robert Browning, Selected Poems, ed. by Daniel Karlin (London: Penguin Classics, 2000)
    Christina Rossetti, Selected Poems, ed. by Alison Chapman (London: Penguin Classics, 2008)
    Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway, ed. by David Bradshaw (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008)
    James Joyce, Dubliners, ed. by Jeri Johnson (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008)

Malory, Le Morte Darthur, ed. by Stephen H.A. Shepherd (New York: W.W. Norton, 2004)
    Marlowe, Dr Faustus

Kyd, The Spanish Tragedy

Marston, The Malcontent

Arthur F. Kinney, ed., Renaissance Drama: An Anthology of Plays and Entertainments, 2nd edn (Oxford: Blackwell, 2005)
    David Fairer and Christine Gerrard, eds, Eighteenth-Century Poetry: An Annotated Anthology, 2nd edn (Oxford: Blackwell, 2004)

Language for Literature

These are some of the core texts that you will be using in your first year language modules:

R. Carter, A. Goddard, D. Reah, K. Sanger and M. Bowring, Working with Texts: a Core Book for Language Analysis (London: Routledge, 1997/2001/2008).
    L. Jeffries,*Discovering Language: the Structure of Modern English (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006).

Dante Alighieri, Inferno, trans. J. D. Sinclair (Oxford University Press, 1981).
    Three Plays by Pedro Calderón de la Barca, adapted by Adrian Mitchell and John Barton (Bath:Absolute Classics, 1990). [ The Mayor of Zalamea, Life's a Dream, The Great Theatre of the World].
    Choderlos de Laclos, Les liaisons dangereuses, trans. Douglas Parmée, introduction by David Coward (Oxford: Oxford University Press (World's Classics), 2008).
    Thomas Mann, Death in Venice & Other Stories, trans. David Luke (London: Vintage, 1998), pp. 195-267.
    Thomas Mann, Mario and the Magician & Other Stories, trans. H. T. Lowe-Porter (London: Vintage, 2000), pp. 113-157.

Writing the Region
    A few key texts:

Creative Writing
    These texts are the advanced reading recommended by the department for your first year Creative Writing module:
    Thank you, that's really helpful! Who did you email because I've still not had a reply back and I don't know if I emailed the right person.
    Also, I was just thinking, are you going to buy most of the books before the course starts or before each semester ect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni14)
    Thank you, that's really helpful! Who did you email because I've still not had a reply back and I don't know if I emailed the right person.
    Also, I was just thinking, are you going to buy most of the books before the course starts or before each semester ect?
    I called up the English admissions office who forwarded the request - I then got an email from Sophia Robertshaw (Admissions and Recruitment Co-ordinator
    School of English, Drama and American & Canadian Studies). I've got some of the books but I worked out that criticism in particular will be quite expensive (my Amazon basket came to £140 just for that section). I think I'll get main texts and try and buy criticism when I'm there

ReputationRep:
    I called up the English admissions office who forwarded the request - I then got an email from Sophia Robertshaw (Admissions and Recruitment Co-ordinator
    School of English, Drama and American & Canadian Studies). I've got some of the books but I worked out that criticism in particular will be quite expensive (my Amazon basket came to £140 just for that section). I think I'll get main texts and try and buy criticism when I'm there
    I just had a reply from Sophia Robertshaw, she was the person I emailed. I might look into getting some books second hand. I can imagine the criticisms will be really expensive, I might buy the ones for the books we're studying in our first semester beforehand so I'll have them ready but buy the rest once I get there.
    Thanks for your help anyway, you seem super nice and maybe we'll meet on the course

ReputationRep:
    I just had a reply from Sophia Robertshaw, she was the person I emailed. I might look into getting some books second hand. I can imagine the criticisms will be really expensive, I might buy the ones for the books we're studying in our first semester beforehand so I'll have them ready but buy the rest once I get there.
    Thanks for your help anyway, you seem super nice and maybe we'll meet on the course

Yeah, second hand is definitely the way to go, particularly for criticism! I think one book I looked at on Amazon was £40. I have The God of Small Things, Heart of Darkness and Mrs Dalloway already, the others I intend to get when I'm there. You're welcome! We probably will

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I just finished an English course at UoB this year and we have a Facebook group where prospective students can buy these books from other students at great prices - so much cheaper than amazon.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1396796250541029/

Just join the page and post a list of books you're looking for and any sellers will comment!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing the English and Classics course in 2014/15 as well, and I was just wondering if anyone has found anything about a reading list for Classics? I've sent an email - but have received no reply so far - and pretty much found the list for literature based on this forum, but there isn't anything yet on the rest of the course. I didn't know whether we'd need to get specific books on classical literature, like The Iliad or The Prose Edda. Does anyone know anything about this?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I emailed the English admissions office but they have yet to get back to me (and I'm not sure if I even emailed the right place) but it would be such a great help if you could pass on the information once you receive it.
    No worries! I received a list of the Joint Honours English Lit modules for the first year which is only the modules of Literary Aesthetics before/after 1800 and critical practice, and an overview of the JH modules in second and third year, so hopefully they will give you more information on the other English modules. I'll try and attach it anyway
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docxJH English Lit First Year Modules.docx (14.5 KB, 105 views)
  2. File Type: docJH English Literature Course Structure.doc (91.0 KB, 131 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valkyrior)
    Hey, I'm doing the English and Classics course in 2014/15 as well, and I was just wondering if anyone has found anything about a reading list for Classics? I've sent an email - but have received no reply so far - and pretty much found the list for literature based on this forum, but there isn't anything yet on the rest of the course. I didn't know whether we'd need to get specific books on classical literature, like The Iliad or The Prose Edda. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Hi, I'm sure you'll hear from them soon, I emailed the Classics department too so just in case i'll attach the reading list I received. Like the English one they just suggest that if you want to read them before then you can but its not expected too much
    Attached Images
  3. File Type: pdfCLC Reading List.pdf (58.6 KB, 176 views)

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the editions are important? I've got quite a few of the books already but they're not the same publisher/year/editor and I really don't want to have to buy new copies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottep3ng)
    Hi, I'm sure you'll hear from them soon, I emailed the Classics department too so just in case i'll attach the reading list I received. Like the English one they just suggest that if you want to read them before then you can but its not expected too much
    Hello I just wanted to thank you for posting the list and course outline - I checked my emails this morning and have heard back from them, but, thanks to your post, I've been able to head out and buy many of them already. So thank you for getting back to me so soon

ReputationRep:

Reading Lists

Literature

Marlowe, Dr Faustus

Kyd, The Spanish Tragedy

Marston, The Malcontent

Language for Literature

Writing the Region
    A few key texts:

Creative Writing

Thanks for posting this! Was totally starting to freak out about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieturnerk)
    Thanks for posting this! Was totally starting to freak out about it!
    You're welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.