Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Europe can't compete financially with America if Soccer grows in the USA!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking this was the most popular World Cup ever in American history in terms of viewership.... Around 20 million watched the USA games and about 10 million Non-USA GAMES. 115 Million Americans watched the Superbowl so quite away to go but the USA games did beat this years addition of the NHL Finals(slightly)and World Series.

What is clear though is that more increased American interest in "football" is a trans-Atlantic shift in the sport. Europe is the dominant center o the sport but in economic terms individual football powers UK(EPL), Spain(La Liga), Italy(Serie A) , Germany(Bundaliga) can't compete 1on1 with the USA especially as far as sports is concerned. The USA is literally obsessed with sports and has a larger sporting culture than any other nation on earth.

The USA has the Big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) plus the NCAA(University sports, Nascar and High School Sports plus AAU, Rec League youth sports.

Soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world but there are only 3-5 Billion dollar soccer clubs in the world. American sorts account for 41 of the 50 Richest sports teams in the world (Soccer does occupy the Top 3 slots)!

There are 29 Billion dollar NFL Teams alone (The Richest sports league in the World) The NFL also has the highest average attendence of any sports league averaging over 60,000 fans per game.

NFL avgs 1.17 Billion per team
    MLB ags 900 Million
    NBA 600 Million

The Top 20 Soccer teams(around the world) avg 900 Million

Now imagine if Americans put as much effort in soccer as we do our domestic sports or like the rest of the world. It's very unlikely the European leagues could match America. Let's be honest if you are a 20 something year old Multi millionaire athlete would you rather live in New York , Los Angele's, Miami, Las Vegas Chicago or Rome, Paris , Berlin, Madrid???

I believe we all know this and might explain the Anti-American sentiment in European soccer.

ReputationRep:
    That's true but ultimately if clubs like PSG/Monaco/Real Madrid etc realise that the USA are going to invest more money into football, they WILL invest further. As you can see with players like David Luiz these owners are throwing money around like it's no ones business and with financial fair play rules America would struggle to get to world class status.

Also, if I was a 20 year old millionaire as much as I would love to live in NY, Chicago, LA etc I would rather live in Rome, Madrid or Berlin (or Milan, which you didn't mention)

ReputationRep:
    It would take decades for the US to wrestle the strangle hold away from Europe (if it ever did). Football would always be competing with the other 4 big sports in the US, its the undisputed number 1 in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    It would take decades for the US to wrestle the strangle hold away from Europe (if it ever did). Football would always be competing with the other 4 big sports in the US, its the undisputed number 1 in Europe.
    True but for the purpose of this thread.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    That's true but ultimately if clubs like PSG/Monaco/Real Madrid etc realise that the USA are going to invest more money into football, they WILL invest further. As you can see with players like David Luiz these owners are throwing money around like it's no ones business and with financial fair play rules America would struggle to get to world class status.

Also, if I was a 20 year old millionaire as much as I would love to live in NY, Chicago, LA etc I would rather live in Rome, Madrid or Berlin (or Milan, which you didn't mention)

Really? Rome over NYC as a 20 year old millionaire? Milan over L.A? Berlin over Miami? Nawww!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beyoncstan)

Really? Rome over NYC as a 20 year old millionaire? Milan over L.A? Berlin over Miami? Nawww!

Hmm I guess the more I think about it, as a millionaire perhaps. But if I was a 20 year old millionaire I'd have houses in all of them listed above :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    US football will never overtake European football. Football is far too ingrained into European culture.

With that said, I do believe that if the States took football as seriously as they took basketball/baseball/american football, they would be one of the strongest nations in the world. I think it's a pretty safe bet that the USA will win the World Cup before England wins it again.

(Original post by AdamCee)
    That's true but ultimately if clubs like PSG/Monaco/Real Madrid etc realise that the USA are going to invest more money into football, they WILL invest further. As you can see with players like David Luiz these owners are throwing money around like it's no ones business and with financial fair play rules America would struggle to get to world class status
    FFP is a UEFA restriction, so US clubs (or anyone outside Europe for that matter) would not be subjected to it. The MLS have their own set of rules, where I believe each club is allowed one or two ''star players'' who are exempt from the salary cap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    FFP is a UEFA restriction, so US clubs (or anyone outside Europe for that matter) would not be subjected to it. The MLS have their own set of rules, where I believe each club is allowed one or two ''star players'' who are exempt from the salary cap.
    Oohhh I forgot about that, that's a good point.

However there aren't any big leagues outside of Europe anyway. I think that if another league was to become big outside of Europe, Blatter would find a way.. After all could you imagine if a team were exempt from more rules than Barca?!

ReputationRep:
    It's not that. The point is that the big US sports are structured completely differently from football, with players coming mostly from collegiate teams and having annual drafts. This is completely incompatible with the football model.

The US soccer leagues are franchise based and have no promotion or relegation - teams are just told which league they are in, and that's it. For football to become a big money sport in the US, there would have to be some incentive for Americans to play. They aren't going to get this under the existing model, and without big money transfers and drafts. Soccer is a very minor sport in colleges and high schools and just will not get the attention. The best athletes will always go to the big sports first.

ReputationRep:
    Football won't become as big in the US as it is in the rest of the world. The MLS commissioner made an interesting comment recently. He said that due to the natural predisposition of the American market, football will never on par with the big 4 in our lifetime. Big statement, but it's probably true, the MLS is growing very fast, however it still only gets around 250k views out of a population so large so clearly it's not going to match the big sports there.

If the USA however did worship football, I reckon they'd by far be the strongest nation in the world. They have a population of over 310M and pump a very large amount of money into sports (just look at the Olympics, with their talent pool and money anything other than 1st is an embarrassment). How hard would it be for them to find 23 quality players. I can see it now, pacy black wingers...

Speaking of populations, China have over 1.3B. If they were to invest in developing a competitive footballing infrastructure over the next few decades, I imagine they'd grow to become dominant. They're such a disciplined nation with the way they go about there sports. There would probably be death threats for not winning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beyoncstan)

Bologna over Rome, although I don't know how well it has recovered from the earthquake. And San Francisco over LA.

ReputationRep:
    what has this got to do with world cup?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.