Hi all

Just finished building my custom pc:

i7 4790k
    noctua nh d14
    gtx780
    seasonic x-850
    8gb ddr3
    asus maximum gene vii

Got windows 7 booted up (64 bit) but have been having problems with stress testing (no oc). Running linpack (same with prime 95) quickly results in the computer freezing. Temps seem pretty high 80-90. I'm fairly sure the heatsink is on properly with a decent level of tim. Even left the case panel off. All the fans are running.

I've run gpu stress test and memcheck and no issues there. I'm thinking that this is a bad cpu/motherboard/psu. Anyone got any ideas? Is there anything which I should check?

Posted some photos of the build to see if anyone thinks I've done anything wrong:

http://imgur.com/YxaVpYI,Dgv4ITK,LO8cr3N

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I put your build (roughly) together, http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BKfddC, so at least we know it's nothing to do with compatibility issues (hopefully). Have you double checked you heat sink/coolers are actually on properly? Are the fans set at their max settings?

ReputationRep:
    Download speedfan, it'll let you check your fan voltages to see whether they're actually adjusting to the temp properly. It'll let you redefine the curve if this is what's causing the problem. Does it get hot in normal use or just in a stress test?

ReputationRep:
    72.72C is the max temp allowed on the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) of the i7. This isn't the core temp, but if that's what your IHS is hitting, it'll shut down the system.

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/...up-to-4_40-GHz

Have you made sure all the fans are spinning in the correct direction for a good air flow? Should the exhaust fan at the top be spinning, if so, is that intake or exhaust?

Your case looks pretty small to me - what case is it and what size are fans?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as people have been saying, it sounds like CPU issues; a modern intel CPU shouldn't get that hot unless you have some whacky OC, have done something wrong, or have a defective unit (and the last is least likely). It's almost certainly not a mobo (bar socket) or PSU issue, you would almost certain know if it were.
    First thing to do is check which ways the fans are going, the front fan, CPU fans and rear fan should be pulling air from front to back, and the top mounted fan probably ought to be an exhaust, although the positioning seems a bit awkward with that CPU cooler and doesn't look like it would do a great deal of good either way.
    I would also double check that the cooler is firmly (but not too tightly) screwed in.

(Original post by mikeyd85)
    72.72C is the max temp allowed on the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) of the i7. This isn't the core temp, but if that's what your IHS is hitting, it'll shut down the system.

Have you made sure all the fans are spinning in the correct direction for a good air flow? Should the exhaust fan at the top be spinning, if so, is that intake or exhaust?

Looks like a 350d and all 120mm to me, except maybe the top, unused fan, which seems to be 140

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Looks like a 350d and all 120mm to me, except maybe the top, unused fan, which seems to be 140
    Mebbe. Looks a little smaller than I thought the 350d would be. Though I tell you what, everything is thrown out by that Noctura! It even makes the GTX780 look small... I've got one of them and that ain't small at all!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Mebbe. Looks a little smaller than I thought the 350d would be. Though I tell you what, everything is thrown out by that Noctura! It even makes the GTX780 look small... I've got one of them and that ain't small at all!
    It's defo corsair obsidian, and looks too much like 350 not to be (it is only a SFF case), and I would say it's less the noctuas and more the towers, comparing them to the corsair fans in those pics and having seen them in assorted vids they can't be much bigger than any of the fans I have, but when your cooling is only 87mm thick total its hard to make a GPU look small, especially a 690 (which is about half an inch longer than 780)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Also, OP, what prime95 test, because it could also be RAM issues, although I do expect it's something with the CPU.

ReputationRep:
    Your CPU temps should not be that high! They should only hit about about 40 with the STOCK cooler.
    An NH-D14 is excessive for that CPU you'll hit the CPU limits before the cooler. You must have pull the cooler on wrong

ReputationRep:
    I think I fixed it. I updated the BIOS and one of the updates was for the new devils canyon's cpus (i.e. the 4790k).

Ran prime95 for a while and linpack - no problems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    Download speedfan, it'll let you check your fan voltages to see whether they're actually adjusting to the temp properly. It'll let you redefine the curve if this is what's causing the problem. Does it get hot in normal use or just in a stress test?
    on loading speedfan i get a bsod!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as people have been saying, it sounds like CPU issues; a modern intel CPU shouldn't get that hot unless you have some whacky OC, have done something wrong, or have a defective unit (and the last is least likely). It's almost certainly not a mobo (bar socket) or PSU issue, you would almost certain know if it were.
    First thing to do is check which ways the fans are going, the front fan, CPU fans and rear fan should be pulling air from front to back, and the top mounted fan probably ought to be an exhaust, although the positioning seems a bit awkward with that CPU cooler and doesn't look like it would do a great deal of good either way.
    I would also double check that the cooler is firmly (but not too tightly) screwed in.

Thanks for your help. My heatsink was the wrong way wrong. Better temps now.

ReputationRep:

Yeh for some reason top case fan wasn't spinning. It's working now.

I'm using a fractal design arc mini r2

ReputationRep:
    It's defo corsair obsidian, and looks too much like 350 not to be (it is only a SFF case), and I would say it's less the noctuas and more the towers, comparing them to the corsair fans in those pics and having seen them in assorted vids they can't be much bigger than any of the fans I have, but when your cooling is only 87mm thick total its hard to make a GPU look small, especially a 690 (which is about half an inch longer than 780)
    It's a fractal design arc 2 mini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    Yeh for some reason top case fan wasn't spinning. It's working now.

I'm using a fractal design arc mini r2
    Glad it's all working man! Nothing worse than a new build not behaving properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    on loading speedfan i get a bsod!
    Oh yeah, I got that, I can't remember how I fixed it now. Glad to hear the build is sorted though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.