Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (I'm new so apologies if I've done this wrong)

Hello, I'm starting sixth form this September. I was wondering whether I should write my class notes in a notebook and put handouts in a binder or whether I should just write on file paper and store it in my binder?

I'd really appreciate your help, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It's down to personal preference really, whatever you think will work best for you. Personally, I found that a folder full of plastic wallets with paper in was the best bet, it made it easier to organise everything so I could find specific things for revision. I took in a notebook full of A4 file paper to school, then just ripped the pages out to put them in my folder. Probably the complicated way of doing it but it worked for me

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I personally like file paper but it really is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    If you choose to use file paper, make sure you keep it organised as throughout the year, I would find myself surrounded by heaps of unorganised notes

ReputationRep:
    I just use one note pad/paper to take all of my notes in - having one for each just gets too heavy to carry daily! I like to use the pukka pads where you can move the dividers accordingly.

I also retype my notes! I do this everyday then after each module is over I print them out. This cuts down on SO much space when you want to bring in your previous notes.

I like to keep typed notes in a folder with handouts, this keeps everything looking neat and safe. I then label each topic with a sticky tab of what it is and colour code for each different subject.

This method means you're only using one folder and one note book at a time but you still have all of your subject work with you. Also, by the time you've ran out of space in your notebook for notes and you need a new notebook, everything will be typed already.

ReputationRep:
    What I intend on doing is making and keeping all class notes and handouts in a folder and then at home make neat notes in notebooks. Not looking forward to carrying all the folders but we have lockers and I think for me it'll be the easiest way of organising myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, everyone! I think I'll probably use file paper and then use a notebook for revision notes

ReputationRep:
    The other reason to use lined paper is thats its easy to include hand outs
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZahrahBlack)
    (I'm new so apologies if I've done this wrong)

Hello, I'm starting sixth form this September. I was wondering whether I should write my class notes in a notebook and put handouts in a binder or whether I should just write on file paper and store it in my binder?

I'd really appreciate your help, thanks!
    people do different things but what i did was have a ring binder folder for each subject i did and have file dividers in each folder for different topics. once i finished a topic i would take out the notes i had for it and put it in a plastic wallet to keep for revision later on, that way i didn't need to carry unnecessary notes around with me.
    i wrote my notes in one of those A4 lined paper refill pads and then put then in the relevant folder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Minion)
    What I intend on doing is making and keeping all class notes and handouts in a folder and then at home make neat notes in notebooks. Not looking forward to carrying all the folders but we have lockers and I think for me it'll be the easiest way of organising myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a nice and simple idea, I think I will do that. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I tried using various different folders, ring-binders and files since in my mind more things = more organisation at the start of AS. I regret that a lot.

The best thing, for me, would have been to have one of those Pukka notepads with all the dividers in them. One big notepad would have made things so much easier! Different parts of the book for different subjects. Then come home and organise them into files.

I think I'd advise new Sixth Formers to take in one notebook too, but then after 2 weeks once you're familiar with your teachers' teaching styles, and how much you'd have to write for each subject, adapt your style in a way that's easiest for you. For people taking vastly different kinds of A-levels they may need a 'hybrid' system e.g. ring-binder with wallets for Product Design, perhaps, and a whole notebook for English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    I used notebooks all through AS and A2 because it was just easier keeping things in one place and my notes follow a nice chronological order. Plus the lack of loose paper everywhere was pretty handy and I never needed to rely on borrowing any paper as I kept my notebook in my files.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.