Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Im looking for advice regarding conditions I was set for entry onto the above course. I have been studying at UOA on the Access to degree studies program, and received an offer from both Aberdeen and St Andrews. The conditions for Aberdeen were clear based on the CAS marking system - 15 and above - however the condition set by St Andrews was '2 and above in both subjects'. This caused confusion as it did not seem to relate to the CAS grading scale, I therefore contacted UCAS and they advised that it seemed to relate to the same condition set by UOA(CAS 15 and above), and as the access course was split into four subjects, 2 in the first half of the academic year followed by a further two in the second half, the 'both subjects' part of the condition made no sense, however both the UCAS adviser and myself seemed to concur that it would logically seem to imply CAS 15 and above in each subject(or combined scores for each half). I then spoke to an admissions adviser from the university of St Andrews and provided screen shots of the first half scores on my student portal which were at that point completed(16 for English and 18 for IR) and asked whether they only required two subjects for entry conditions to be met(in effect meaning that at that point they had been met by the aforementioned), he confered with the admissions team and advised that the term set would require the two second half subjects also, again above CAS 15(which i expected). I aced the second half with an 18 for Politics and 17 for Sociology, and even my course coordinator was delighted that as I had achieved the required grades and bided me good luck at St Andrews. She forwarded my results to St Andrews and I awaited the confirmation on UCAS track. Three weeks later and no unconditional! I contacted the admissions team and they did'nt seem to know what was going on but assured me they were very busy and would deal with it, I phoned my access coordinator and she was puzzled and sent another email to St Andrews as well. A few days later I spoke with them again and forwarded a screen shot of my portal with all four results. I was assured it would be dealt with promptly. The next week(this week) I phoned on Monday and was told much the same as the very first phone call...extra busy, no explaination, would be dealt with asap. By Thursday still nothing, I phoned and spoke with someone who went off to investigate, returning with the assurance that it would be passed to the head of admissions for consideration on Monday(as the said was on holiday!). She apologised for the further delay and also informed me that the decision would be relayed through UCAS track(which I assume will take time as well!) I was naturally concerned that something was wrong and pressed the staff member for verification that I had the grades needed and she declined to respond, telling me that it had to be the head of admissions who verified and signed off the offer. I told her that, as a mature student, I have to provide notice to my landlord(as 6 weeks are required and freshers will soon be upon us!) and that I could not progress with funding etc until the unconditional came in and she told me she could not advise me to hand in notice but that funding goes through pretty quickly so not to worry about that. The advice over the notice alarmed me and I pressed her to confirm my grades met the conditions set, which she declined to do. I am now very very stressed and feel like I am having to beg when I should not have to, as I have done damn well to get the grades I have this year, and met the conditions that I was led to believe correlated with the required. As such I have been arranging accommodation, have paid a lot of money from my red robe and bought a lot of St Andrews clothing and merchandise for Uni etc. Now worst comes to worst UOA are my second choice and I know Ive got the required grades should there be a problem. But can anyone help shed any light on what may be happening on the admissions end, or how the UOA CAS scores would tally with the grading system set out in my St Andrews conditions? I have searched high and low and cannot find any information on how CAS is compared with this numerical scoring system, although my portal shows a C2 alongside Sociology and English and a C1 alongside Politics and Int Rel, could this be what they are looking for? Any help would be most appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    No idea about what they are doing with you, but sounds ridiculous. Try getting in contact with Mike Johnson, he will probably know best. Or Joanna Fry. Emails here (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/adminis...issions/staff/). Do you have any written confirmation from St A's on the grades they accepted. Mention this, quote yourself in the email. They have no position (at least to my knowledge) of failing to accept you on those results, and should have already confirmed you, really.

Hope it all gets resolved, and a genuine congratulations on your results, I have sympathy for the situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.