Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about running the Sheffield 10k. I think there's three months until the start, so I've got time to make long term changes.

I've been going to the gym for around seven/ eight weeks not. I'm a lot stronger and I eat a balanced diet, so I guess my routine is in full flow.

In terms of my running ability, I'm quick off the mark and I guess my stamina isn't that bad. I always get some cardio when I'm at the gym, and on the treadmill, I run for 15mins at 15.5kmph. I'm able to do this without too much effort, and I just use it for a warm up for lifting.

I've heard high intensity training is good, but I'm not sure which area I should improve, my stamina, or my speed?

I haven't run a 10k race before, but I'm also wondering what time should I aim for. I think I should be able to do it in 50 mins, but I'm really wanting is somewhere at 45 mins or below. In terms of the track, it has wide roads, but there's one rather large hill. It's not a massive incline, but it does go on for a while. I live quite close, so I was planning on running the course once every two weeks, and incorporate it into my gym routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)
    I'm thinking about running the Sheffield 10k. I think there's three months until the start, so I've got time to make long term changes.

I've been going to the gym for around seven/ eight weeks not. I'm a lot stronger and I eat a balanced diet, so I guess my routine is in full flow.

In terms of my running ability, I'm quick off the mark and I guess my stamina isn't that bad. I always get some cardio when I'm at the gym, and on the treadmill, I run for 15mins at 15.5kmph. I'm able to do this without too much effort, and I just use it for a warm up for lifting.

I've heard high intensity training is good, but I'm not sure which area I should improve, my stamina, or my speed?

I haven't run a 10k race before, but I'm also wondering what time should I aim for. I think I should be able to do it in 50 mins, but I'm really wanting is somewhere at 45 mins or below. In terms of the track, it has wide roads, but there's one rather large hill. It's not a massive incline, but it does go on for a while. I live quite close, so I was planning on running the course once every two weeks, and incorporate it into my gym routine.
    Stamina. You only run for 15mins at a time, how on earth do you know how you're going to cope for 3x the distance? You should start incorporating runs of 30-60mins into your routine, and also incorporate hill sprints. There's enough time to get under 45 minutes if you start now. Also, run on the road, it's a whole different ball game to the treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)

To be fair, 15.5 kph for 15 minutes isn't bad at all. BUT, it's harder on the road and you need to improve your stamina. Try longer runs, and like the other guy said do Hill repeats. Hill repeats rule. Good luck kidda

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.