Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving lessons- how many hours? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have booked a driving lesson for the first after years of putting it off due to the costs and not being committed. However, I have heard that on average one should have 100 hours of driving before they will be able to pass, is that true? I won't be able to practise outside lessons, so 100 hours would cost me over £2000

ReputationRep:
    100 hours? Who said that lol, I passed 3rd time and in total i took like 50 hours.

ReputationRep:
    100 seems a bit excessive, maybe if you failed a lot... 50 is adequate. But then it might depend on where you are learning/how naturally you take to driving. I know a few instructors say you MUST do x amount of practice before they enter you for the driving test. Just get your theory out of the way asap, I had to wait aaaages to do mine because of the waiting list

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on taking my test after I finish 20 hours worth. My instructor is really down to earth. Make sure he/she is sure you're not ready and not just milking you for your money.

ReputationRep:
    Who said 100?! It really depends on the person.

I believe the recommended hours is between 30 - 40 maybe 50 now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think my sister took about 20 and I took I think about 35.
    But mine included about an hour most times getting to and from Cambridge whereas she had her lessons when already there. My instructor was also a slightly mlre thorough one, spending more time making sure everything is correct [enough] and has an exceptional first time pass rate. (I also had my first test canceled due to bad weather which added a few more hours).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did it after 13 lessons everyone learns at a different pace (passed first time)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow 100? Nahhhh most would be 15

ReputationRep:
    I took 15 lessons in total (14 lessons practicing and "lesson 15" was my practical) and passed first time, I had no access to a car outside of those lessons so it was my only chance to practice

It really depends on the individual and the instructor, everyone learns at their own pace, some get the hang of it straight away whereas others don't

You may want to shop around first to find an instructor you like, and it's also a good idea to book your theory test as soon as if you've not already done it and once you've passed that book your practical, it'll help if you have a target to work towards. If you don't feel ready when the test date arrives you can always reschedule for free. I think booking your practical will also stop your instructor from messing you around and making you take more lessons than you actually need.

ReputationRep:
    Older people take longer to hone the skill than younger people. Females tend to take longer than males. Then there are the various hurdles such as poor co-ordination, dyslexia, dyspraxia etc. Then there are those who are just a bit thick.

Although 100 hours seems somewhat excessive, there are people who have taken that long. Be realistic and don't worry too much about the total cost. It's not like you're paying it all at once, is it? If you pay £x per week or per month, the amount you pay will be the same; it will just be for more weeks / months of the year, that's all.

A good instructor will be reassuringly expensive, but you'll get value for money and will learn a lot with every hour spent with him or her. Beware the instructors who milk you week in / week out with a very cheap (hourly) deal, but you'll be still be taking lessons this time next year and be no better at controlling the car than today. Telling the difference is not easy. Personal recommendations will help.

ReputationRep:
    I took about 40 hours passing first time with bill plant. In my opinion. You should probably have bill plant instructing as i find their teaching is great compared to acclaim driving and on the plus side you're driving an audi a3 and i guess it's one of the smoothest cars i've driven to date!

ReputationRep:
    I took 15 hours. 100 hours seems kind of extreme.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Reporter Team
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    I have booked a driving lesson for the first after years of putting it off due to the costs and not being committed. However, I have heard that on average one should have 100 hours of driving before they will be able to pass, is that true? I won't be able to practise outside lessons, so 100 hours would cost me over £2000
    100 is excessive. I took about 50 hours and passed first time, with 3 minors.

ReputationRep:
    100 is excessive, agreed. Some people pass their test in very few lessons but I think this is a bad idea, you need at least a good run of lessons to become used to and at least experienced (in terms of just a beginner/new driver!) enough to be able to drive safely. As a member and instructor of the IAM, an organisation that conducts advanced driving tests, I'd say around 40 hours or so is sufficient as long as you and your instructor feel comfortable with your driving. 13 lessons (as stated above) I think is not enough lessons, even if you can pass your test within that time.

Generally speaking, the more driving experience you have the better, money permitting! Of course, you can gain further experience driving yourself once you've passed your test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth)
    100 is excessive. I took about 50 hours and passed first time, with 3 minors.
    Why did you wait that long if you passed first time? You could have passed sooner

ReputationRep:
    I had about 30 hours and passed first time. You'll be surprised how quick you come on after about 10 lessons.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Reporter Team
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben_Dover)
    Why did you wait that long if you passed first time? You could have passed sooner
    I wouldn't have passed first time had I taken it earlier. On the day of my test I actually felt ready, and I know that I wouldn't have felt ready any sooner.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.