Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a smart phone and have decide to make the leap. I've seen refurbished iPhone 4s going for about £150 and I was wondering whether it's worth buying one at this point or should I fork out the extra £100 or so (which I don't have) for a 5? I don't want to use it for anything fancy that might require extra processing power or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to 4S, the only difference for the money is some gimmicky finger print recognition, and a slightly bigger screen; it probably has a better processor too, but that shouldn't matter to you To be honest if you can, I recommend getting an Android, as a previous iPhone owner and now a proud Samsung owner, it's 100x better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boner in joggers)
    I've never had a smart phone and have decide to make the leap. I've seen refurbished iPhone 4s going for about £150 and I was wondering whether it's worth buying one at this point or should I fork out the extra £100 or so (which I don't have) for a 5? I don't want to use it for anything fancy that might require extra processing power or whatever.
    If you're looking for a inexpensive phone, have a look at the Moto G. It's a lot better bang for your buck

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in iPhones, the best thing to do at this stage is probably to wait until September-the new model will come out and the current models will come down. I'd recommend you get at least a 5/5c as the 4s is 3 years old and will only be supported for another year.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get the 4s they're slow and laggy - get a 5c if you're wanting cheap but alright. And yeah I'd wait till all the newer ones come out as it'll be even cheaper. Or an android phone as they last longer and don't tend to break as much from what I've experienced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not worth it. The Moto G 4G goes for about £150, packing a quad core processor and further specs that run circles around the 4S. Just check amazon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scratchyjam)
    If you're looking for a inexpensive phone, have a look at the Moto G. It's a lot better bang for your buck
    I also second the moto G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharpenedPencils)
    I recommend getting an Android, as a previous iPhone owner and now a proud Samsung owner, it's 100x better
    Why is it better?

ReputationRep:
    I also recommend the Moto G on this budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Why is it better?
    Obviously it all comes down to personal preference, but here are 4 reasons:

1) Much bigger screen, and better audio.
    2) Cheaper
    3) Much more customisable compared to a non-jailbroken iPhone. And I can download stuff a lot more easily, as everything isn't so absurdly controlled.
    4) Better camera, can run several programs and device won't slow.

Although, I think the iPhone does have a nicer interface, but nothing to persuade me to buy it again.

ReputationRep:
    No, iOS8 is coming out in a few months, it will be designed for current gen iPhone and will work slower and ****ter on older models.

I made the mistake of sticking of upgrading to iOS7 on an iPhone 4 it was annoyingly slow. I'm sure you'd be able to pick up and iPhone 5 for £200 easy once the iPhone 6 or whatever they decide to name it is released in September. Just wait a month or two and save up the extra money, it will be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering this too, but come to the conclusion that with the iPhone 6 coming out soon, the iPhone 4s would be a waste of money for me as its starting to get a bit dated. IPhone s are about £250 refurbished, and the 5s is about £400. I would go for the 5 If I were you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.