Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PGCE - rejected a confirmed place and applying at another university Watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

    I have recently completed my undergraduate degree and been awarded a 2.1. However, as I was predicted a 2.2 I applied at universities that are far out due to entry requirements.

    I now hold a confirmed offer for a Primary PGCE through apply 2. HOWEVER - My dilemma: now that I have a 2.1, it has opened up universities closer to home who still have vacancies. I am tempted to pull out of a confirmed offer and try again. This is a huuuge risk!!!! I am really thrilled and appreciative holding an offer however due to other circumstances, as well as distance, moving far from home is difficult for me.

    Does any have any advice??? (please!) :confused:
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    At this late stage in the game, it's a huge risk. As universities don't always keep their lists up to date, don't do anything before you confirm with the new universities that those places actually exist and aren't just out of date data.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    At this late stage in the game, it's a huge risk. As universities don't always keep their lists up to date, don't do anything before you confirm with the new universities that those places actually exist and aren't just out of date data.
    Hi!

    Thank you for your advice! I called the universities on Friday and they said that they still have vacancies. However, as you said, it is a massive risk!
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pc_853)
    Hi!

    Thank you for your advice! I called the universities on Friday and they said that they still have vacancies. However, as you said, it is a massive risk!
    Well, at least you are making it on the basis of up to date information. I'm afraid the decision is all yours.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    It's only nine months, one or two of which are Christmas/Easter. I don't know your situation but, unless there's a serious obstacle (e.g. health, responsibilities at home, money, etc.), you should just take the offer.
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pc_853)
    Hi all!

    I have recently completed my undergraduate degree and been awarded a 2.1. However, as I was predicted a 2.2 I applied at universities that are far out due to entry requirements.

    I now hold a confirmed offer for a Primary PGCE through apply 2. HOWEVER - My dilemma: now that I have a 2.1, it has opened up universities closer to home who still have vacancies. I am tempted to pull out of a confirmed offer and try again. This is a huuuge risk!!!! I am really thrilled and appreciative holding an offer however due to other circumstances, as well as distance, moving far from home is difficult for me.

    Does any have any advice??? (please!) :confused:
    If your happy to risk ending up on a gap year then by all means take the risk, however if your insistent on going this year you'd be foolish not to take your current offer.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hi maskofsanity and jelly1000! Thank you both for your advice. It is a big decision and after much more consideration I believe I should take up for the offer and start! No need for an unnecessary risk! 😀
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pc_853)
    Hi maskofsanity and jelly1000! Thank you both for your advice. It is a big decision and after much more consideration I believe I should take up for the offer and start! No need for an unnecessary risk!
    Best of luck with it!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Best of luck with it!
    Thank you!!!
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Talk to some of those universities, won't they make you an offer first so you can reject your other?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntdoug)
    Talk to some of those universities, won't they make you an offer first so you can reject your other?
    Hello!
    No see this is my problem, I have to get the university to reject my offer before I can submit an application. Which would mean I would lose my current offer and hope that the new university would offer me a place. Massive risk. I keep going round in circles trying to make a choice, ha! Was so set on sticking with it yesterday..
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pc_853)
    Hello!
    No see this is my problem, I have to get the university to reject my offer before I can submit an application. Which would mean I would lose my current offer and hope that the new university would offer me a place. Massive risk. I keep going round in circles trying to make a choice, ha! Was so set on sticking with it yesterday..
    Ahh right, my bad. Good luck mate!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntdoug)
    Ahh right, my bad. Good luck mate!
    Haha, thankyou!
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.