Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Staying friends with a girl you have feelings for? watch

ReputationRep:
    I really like my friend but she has a BF (LDR) and she's happy with him so I can't do anything. That being said, I want to stay friends with her. Is this ok? How can I make things easier for me? I mean we are close friends and she really appreciates me as a friend.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in the same situation. Don't do anything to jeopardize your friendship with her. Clearly it means a lot to you if you're seeking help. Even if she wasn't happy with her current boyfriend, you shouldn't try to do anything, it's not your place to interfere with her relationships.
    It'll hurt now, and no matter how much people say, "Stop feeling that way" or "Try to take your mind off of her", it's impossible to do so, believe me, I know. You just need to grit your teeth and bear through whatever you're feeling.
    It's probably no comfort at all, but if something is meant to happen with you two, it will in time, but for now, you have to be happy for her and put on a brave face.

ReputationRep:
    of course you must stay friends with her! does she know how you feel? i have been in the same situation but someone told the guy i liked him and i had to sit sit next for him for 2 years even though a few months later he had a new gf and i just acted my normal self around him. He never said anything about it and neither did i even though i still had feelings for him. It is very difficult but if they brake up you have to tell her how you feel.For now just be friend and although it is hard, if she is close to you should be happy that she is happy( no matter how much it sucks)

Don't play with fire and try to split them up, it's just not right no matter how much you and your friend get on. Can I ask, how long have you known your friend for? Does she show any outward signs she wants more than friendship? If so, I would actually take this as a red flag...if shes willing to flit off with another guy so easily, what makes you think you'd be so special if she got with you?

She could just as easily go off with some other bloke whilst with you...doesn't seem so good when the shoe is on the other foot really.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you do that? Just break the friendship off.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do the wrong thing of trying to split them up. That might just cause resentment between you two. You don't have to break up either though.

I know the answer of don't do anything and move on isn't what you want to hear but you should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most girls I know wait until they've lined up a replacement before moving on, or move on because they've found a replacement. You don't have to split them up. It's a LDR, you simply have to provide a credible alternative and she'll do the work for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation. My best friend who I have feelings for has just got a girlfriend. It's killing me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is going to be difficult but, as I said elsewhere, long distance relationships seldom last and then you just never know what might happen.

ReputationRep:
    You have 2 choices.

Watch what's going on, suffer and hope.

Get as far away for them as possible and let time and geography do it's work until you meet someone else.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to tell her then you either let the friendship die, or you hold on to it in a sort of torturous manner where you can never truly talk about how you feel. Either way, maybe you'll meet someone else who can take your mind off her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.