The Student Room Group

Taking a BTEC certificate alongside A-Levels

Hi,
A friend of my sister's is just about to go into sixth form, and she is set on a healthcare-based degree (e.g. nursing, midwifery, social work, physiotherapy, occupational therapy etc.).

She is taking the following subjects:
Biology
Psychology
Sociology
BTEC certificate in Health and Social Care ('equivalent' to 1 AS Level, or 1 A level if she continues for A2).

I know that generally speaking unis are more biased towards A levels, but A level HSC is not offered at her sixth form and they only offer the btec. Also, HSC is a very good A level for healthcare-related professions (but it is less suitable for 'academic' degrees e.g. arts, sciences etc), so it was recommended she took it.

Anyway, will a btec in place of 1 A level screw her chances up at uni?

Thanks.
No it wouldn't, I've just completed my level 3 Btec diploma in health and social care and got all 5 offers from my choices, so they didn't seem to mind that I have done Btec, if you look on the university's entry requirements if she is just doing it for the 1 A level equivalent the it is requested that she would need something to go with that Btec... So it shouldn't screw up her chances .... I hope this makes sense lol

Quick Reply

Latest