Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure if it belongs here in society but here goes.

As the title suggests, I want to speak up about feminism which is something that is talked about pretty much everyday whether its in the media e.g. newspapers, television, social media sites or campaigns. It's also a topic that a person (female and male) will come across or even experience in their lives.

I came across this article on Buzzfeed earlier today and it's about this tumblr which is called Women Against Feminism (go search for it if you wish to but prepared to get angry like I did). Basically the article posted pictures of 15 women holding up placards with why they are anti-feminism (although I don't understand why women would want to be anti-feminists but that's my opinion) but the cards didn't make sense in terms of what they think feminism is actually about as the cards kept mentioning playing the victim, self-control etc. Feminism is about equality for women in education, employment, politics, society, opinions not playing the victim which is something women aren't.

Without feminism, the society would be exactly like it was in the Victorian period. Women wouldn't be allowed to vote in elections (Emily Pankhurst and the Suffragettes didn't campaign and die for it to get it thrown back in their faces - metaphorically of course), education would mean gender-specific subjects; so while the men designed and created products, the women learnt how to cook and wash clothes for their later life. Women either had to stay home and be a housewife for their husbands or got into employment which was lowly-skilled so that meant no managerial positions (that changed temporarily in 1914 when the Great War broke out).
    Women were seen as 'inferior' to men which meant they couldn't speak up unless they wanted a beating or even worse raped which was the common form of punishment for 'speaking out'. why would we want that in today's society for women to get raped and then not to be able to speak up about it and the women being made out that they are the ones that insinuated it when they don't. They never do.

Without feminism, women are seen as 'second class citizens' which is right, we're human - why shouldn't we be treated the same? I mean the two (technically three) differences we have are that we have the additional X chromosome in our DNA and that we can push out a human watermelon through a tiny hole and feed the baby using our own supplies.

An example of what I mean:
    A man and woman work in a bank and have the same experience as each other but the only difference is that the woman went to university and got a First Class Honours in Finance so the degree has enabled her to gain valuable skills to work in the job she does and enjoys. Yet the man gets treated better than the women and gets a bigger salary than the woman, why? Because men are still considered to be the superior sex and can 'do the job better' regardless if he went to university or not.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    the thing is people are often misinformed about stuff hens' that tumblr and all the treads you see on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)

A man and woman work in a bank and have the same experience as each other but the only difference is that the woman went to university and got a First Class Honours in Finance so the degree has enabled her to gain valuable skills to work in the job she does and enjoys. Yet the man gets treated better than the women and gets a bigger salary than the woman, why? Because men are still considered to be the superior sex and can 'do the job better' regardless if he went to university or not.

With the above example, I question how often this happens, and how often the opposite happens as well.

As for "anti-feminists", the truth is that feminism is a movement with the eventual aim of equality between men and women, but the movement itself concerned with the dealing with ways in which women were worse off, which made sense at the time as women were in a far worse position than the men of the time.

However, feminism is a broad movement with multiple schools of thought. Because, for the most part, the legal inequality that the first feminists felt has now been dealt with, the movement now deals with social inequality (much like anti-racism movements have). Now, this is where all the problems start, as everyone disagrees as to what the issues are, and how to deal with them. It is no suprise then, that both men and women feel that feminism is attacking them in some way, and although they may appreciate what feminism has done in the past, they may feel that the continued existence of feminism as a movement today only seeks to undermine the very work in intends to accomplish.

ReputationRep:
    " man and woman work in a bank and have the same experience as each other but the only difference is that the woman went to university and got a First Class Honours in Finance so the degree has enabled her to gain valuable skills to work in the job she does and enjoys. Yet the man gets treated better than the women and gets a bigger salary than the woman, why? Because men are still considered to be the superior sex and can 'do the job better' regardless if he went to university or not."

Bullshine youve just pulled right out of your arse.Nothing new there though, you see feminists do it all the time and is a symptom of not expecting to be challenged on things

ReputationRep:
    There are some worryingly extreme parts of feminism that still come under the title of feminism. This is what puts people off about the movement. I don't try and say they don't exist because they do exist and they do strive for female supremacy. I have a perfect example of such a movement.

I would call this pretty extreme and it still comes under the title of feminism.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

Women were seen as 'inferior' to men which meant they couldn't speak up unless they wanted a beating or even worse raped which was the common form of punishment for 'speaking out'. why would we want that in today's society for women to get raped and then not to be able to speak up about it and the women being made out that they are the ones that insinuated it when they don't. They never do.

That's a straw-man argument if I ever saw one. No one is saying we want a society in which rape of women is prevalent. The attitude toward feminism has simply shifted; this is because: the arguments by feminists are many times hyped and exaggerated; women's rights is no longer seen as a huge issue since people feel both sexes are now, at least legally, equal; "feminism" is much too ambiguous as there are many different attitudes toward it within the feminist community, of which some attitudes are very extreme and these ones often strive for making women superior to men. Suffice it say that when people dismiss feminism they are not arguing against women's right and that we should go back to the victorian era but rather the fact there is no need for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    That's a straw-man argument if I ever saw one. No one is saying we want a society in which rape of women is prevalent. The attitude toward feminism has simply shifted; this is because: the arguments by feminists are many times hyped and exaggerated; women's rights is no longer seen as a huge issue since people feel both sexes are now, at least legally, equal; "feminism" is much too ambiguous as there are many different attitudes toward it within the feminist community, of which some attitudes are very extreme and these ones often strive for making women superior to men. Suffice it say that when people dismiss feminism they are not arguing against women's right and that we should go back to the victorian era but rather the fact there is no need for it.

Thank you exmus, you summed it up better than I, spot on.😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    This!

/thread

ReputationRep:

That's illegal under Equal Pay laws.

ReputationRep:

Who knows, the man might have been able to do the job better, not because he is considered to be of the superior sex, but because he was naturally good in his field and impressed at interview.

You don't know the whole story so you can't make assumptions about this case.

Besides, what's so wrong with believing men "can do the job better". I personally believe that men tend to have better leadership skills, whilst women tend to have better communication and people skills, hence men tend to get into more managerial positions. What's so wrong with that? Whilst fighting for equality, one must also accept the differences between men and women.

As long as we have equal opportunities (and I think we do) I'm happy. If anything men are disadvantaged by the hype over feminism and the pressure on businesses to employ women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2209)
    That's illegal under Equal Pay laws.
    And also foolish on the part of businesses. The real proof that women don't get paid less for the same job is that there isn't a massive male unemployment problem. After all, what business would hire an expensive man when a woman can do the job cheaper? This is exactly what happened around 100-150 years ago, where many factories employed women and children, but men were too expensive.

(Original post by TheDreadedDuck)
    Besides, what's so wrong with believing men "can do the job better". I personally believe that men tend to have better leadership skills, whilst women tend to have better communication and people skills, hence men tend to get into more managerial positions. What's so wrong with that? Whilst fighting for equality, one must also accept the differences between men and women.
    The problem is not making generalisations about a group (although if they have no evidence to back them up, that is an issue). The problem is when decisions about individuals are made based on these. Men may have better leadership skills in general, but paying a man more than a woman in the same leadership position is not fair, because of individual differences among the groups. It'd be like claiming that because men are faster than women, I'm faster than professional female athletes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    The problem is not making generalisations about a group (although if they have no evidence to back them up, that is an issue). The problem is when decisions about individuals are made based on these. Men may have better leadership skills in general, but paying a man more than a woman in the same leadership position is not fair, because of individual differences among the groups. It'd be like claiming that because men are faster than women, I'm faster than professional female athletes.
    Yes, I entirely agree with you there: decisions on job applications should be based on individual merit. However, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about when feminists have a whinge because "more men are in higher-up positions and that proves that women are still seen as inferior to men" (or something like that) Well, no it doesn't. It doesn't prove anything, but it may suggest the general differences between men and women that I was talking about. Of course paying a man more than a woman for the same job is unfair, but I'm not yet in the world of work so I really have no idea whether this actually occurs or not.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you don't seem to understand that feminism has already achieved the bulk of its goals and many feel that movement shouldn't really exist anymore. It would be inappropriate to still see a civil rights movement demanding equality for black people when they're already equal.

These days, feminism is a relic of the past that desperately tries to justify its existence in modern West. There is no point and most of their campaigns are facile and juvenile. Equality means equal before the law and they got it, but clearly that's not enough. They want equality everything, however they have no problem using the government to do it (equal pay, anti discrimination laws etc). If they need the government to compete with men on equal grounds, they're ironically admitting their own inferiority.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I do not like about feminism is that women complain about things here but when in the Middle East if you are a girl you can be shot for going to school. So my point is that maybe more campaigning should be done over there first instead of here where things are in my opinion really good.

ReputationRep:
    feminism is a bigoted self serving movement.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience I have never seen a man being paid more than a women when those two people are the same in every way. Why haven't I seen that probably because it's impossible to compare that because everyone is different and to be honest in a place of work where someone is being paid more than me irregardless of gender I would give management a reason to pay me more by working hard and being competitive not say pay me the same as him/her because I'm a woman or man.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure if it belongs here in society but here goes.

As the title suggests, I want to speak up about feminism which is something that is talked about pretty much everyday whether its in the media e.g. newspapers, television, social media sites or campaigns. It's also a topic that a person (female and male) will come across or even experience in their lives.

I came across this article on Buzzfeed earlier today and it's about this tumblr which is called Women Against Feminism (go search for it if you wish to but prepared to get angry like I did). Basically the article posted pictures of 15 women holding up placards with why they are anti-feminism (although I don't understand why women would want to be anti-feminists but that's my opinion) but the cards didn't make sense in terms of what they think feminism is actually about as the cards kept mentioning playing the victim, self-control etc. Feminism is about equality for women in education, employment, politics, society, opinions not playing the victim which is something women aren't.

Without feminism, the society would be exactly like it was in the Victorian period. Women wouldn't be allowed to vote in elections (Emily Pankhurst and the Suffragettes didn't campaign and die for it to get it thrown back in their faces - metaphorically of course), education would mean gender-specific subjects; so while the men designed and created products, the women learnt how to cook and wash clothes for their later life. Women either had to stay home and be a housewife for their husbands or got into employment which was lowly-skilled so that meant no managerial positions (that changed temporarily in 1914 when the Great War broke out).

Without feminism, women are seen as 'second class citizens' which is right, we're human - why shouldn't we be treated the same? I mean the two (technically three) differences we have are that we have the additional X chromosome in our DNA and that we can push out a human watermelon through a tiny hole and feed the baby using our own supplies.

Put simply:

1. All your examples relate to good work feminism did in the past, but feminism is now redundant in the western world as men and women are legally equal. I can see how feminism would still be relevant in Arabic and African countries for example, but there is no need for feminism in the UK.

2. Your example is a complete fabrication, that doesn't happen. Firstly it's illegal and secondly it does not make business sense. In banking people are paid according to how much money they bring in, not what gender they are.

ReputationRep:
    The goal of modern feminism is to turn all women into proud hairy binge drinking, binge eating, masturbating sex addicts who vomit on the streets, fart in public, get their tits out and go on holiday and and have sex with multiple people in one day.

Proud to be woman.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Feminism has done a LOT of good so far. The next stages for feminism in the UK should be to include men instead of alienating them and to focus on gender equality everywhere.
    Gender equality is a term that us much less threatening to men than feminism so perhaps feminism needs a revamp.

ReputationRep:
    Same **** different day on here...

Typical feminist, downplaying / out right denying sexual dimorphism.

Here's a fun fact for you OP - Women are physically inferior to men.

There are many many differences between men and women. Maybe you should read up on them before you start spouting feminist nonsense. Man ≠ woman just ftr.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.