Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have completely lost hope . I am 20 years old and in the future i'd like to become a nurse. But the question is how ? I dont know what to do ! I do not have basic knowledge of science, maths or english. I have been in college for 4 years now and i have reached nowhere. i dont know what to do ... please advise me , i am lost .

ReputationRep:
    Just google become nurse:
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore...to-be-a-nurse/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advise)
    I have completely lost hope . I am 20 years old and in the future i'd like to become a nurse. But the question is how ? I dont know what to do ! I do not have basic knowledge of science, maths or english. I have been in college for 4 years now and i have reached nowhere. i dont know what to do ... please advise me , i am lost .
    Did you not do GCSEs at school?

ReputationRep:
    No i never did my GCSE , reason being is because I moved out of the UK in year 10 . that is something that hunts me deeply.

ReputationRep:
    I have done my research but the thing is I didnt do any GCSE or A'levels ect and I cant because I dont have the knowledge . i just dont know what to study in order to get there

ReputationRep:
    I have done my research but the thing is I didnt do any GCSE or A'levels ect and I cant because I dont have the knowledge . i just dont know what to study in order to get there
    You should give GCSE's a go!! There's no reason why you can't manage them if you try your hardest!

ReputationRep:
    Oh for heavens sake - pull yourself together. What is the point in metaphorically standing there in a panic. You are twenty not fifty. If you want do be a nurse then aim in the right direction.

Go back to college to 5 GCSEs in a year. Maths, English; Biology and two others. Then take two years to do some A levels.

I expect you have been doing some stupid BTec or other silly course that these colleges peddle

Get a weekend job as a heath care assistant in a care home to give you some money to support yourself. Things will not be handed to you on a plate so get off your rear end and do something about it

ReputationRep:
    you could also look in to doing an Access to Nursing course.

ReputationRep:
    Another route is to find a health care assistant job in the NHS, you'll get to know the environment and decide if it is for you. Once you've got a foot in the door you can look at studying while you work, and your employer may well support you to do that. Win-win
    And it is never too late to resume your studies, your local college should offer Maths and English GCSE classes for free if you haven't got a C in the subject already.

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet is to do an access course through your local college through this you will gain the equivalent of 5 gcses and 3 alevels

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, go to your local college and ask about access courses. Such as Access to Nursing, or Access to Health and Social Care. They don't ask for qualifications generally, however they will interview you and get you to do some tests. An access course has equivalents to english/maths/science or you can enroll on the gcse classes.

It's also a good idea to try to get some experience in a care environment, voluntary or paid.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would concur with access course being your best bet

ReputationRep:
    Get your GCSE Maths and English - you will not be considered for nursing with anything less than grade C in both.

When you have got your GCSEs, you can apply for an Access to Nursing course. Most local colleges offer them.

Get experience! You will need to give examples of how and when you have worked in a nursing/care environment at uni interviews. Care homes are always recruiting and have a look at http://www.healthjobsuk.com/ or https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/ for HCA positions.

Above all, don't panic. At your age, you would be considered one of the younger students on a nursing course. Most of my cohort are aged 25+ (me included - I'm 41!). You have plenty of time to get to where you want to get to. The questions is how determined you are to make it happen.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.