Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm finding it hard to write a PS for different courses. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been making a start on my personal statement for UCAS 2015 entry, since I'm Year 12, going into Year 13 come September.

Anyway, I want to do a languages degree, but the languages themselves are dependent on the university. I'm looking at Japanese and Spanish mostly, but alternatives include Chinese, Italian, Portuguese or maybe Korean. I'm really interested in all these languages but I know in the PS you have to explain why you are interested in that specific language.

How can I word this in my personal statement without making it irrelevant to some of my choices? Or do I have to cut down my choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serebro)
    I've been making a start on my personal statement for UCAS 2015 entry, since I'm Year 12, going into Year 13 come September.

Anyway, I want to do a languages degree, but the languages themselves are dependent on the university. I'm looking at Japanese and Spanish mostly, but alternatives include Chinese, Italian, Portuguese or maybe Korean. I'm really interested in all these languages but I know in the PS you have to explain why you are interested in that specific language.

How can I word this in my personal statement without making it irrelevant to some of my choices? Or do I have to cut down my choices?
    Really you have to cut down your choices. At the end of the day you can only study one course which normally only involves one or two languages so you need to make the choice as to which now.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a mixture of Norwegian, German and French - I only briefly mentioned German and hardly said a word about French and I still got in everywhere I applied, so it can be done. It might be best if you found a common theme or interest that can be applied to each language/country, in that way your statement will flow better and it won't look as if you're uncertain about what you want to study. For example, I mentioned a German WW2 film I liked and talked about my interest in the historical German-speaking population of Eastern Europe. I then linked that to minority languages in Norway.

Don't feel as if you have to talk about each language equally, if you're more interested in Portuguese or Chinese, write more about it.

(Original post by jelly1000)
    Really you have to cut down your choices. At the end of the day you can only study one course which normally only involves one or two languages so you need to make the choice as to which now.
    Rubbish. The personal statement library is full of language applicants who applied for three or more languages, it isn't that unusual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I get where you're coming from. I'm looking at Japanese and Spanish mostly, but some universities that I'm interested in going to do not offer this combination. Japanese seems to be a rare degree outside of London, so it does limit my choices. Hence, I'd like to consider other languages, which are equally just as enjoyable to me. I think Exeter do Chinese and Spanish and Cardiff offers Italian and Japanese.

(Original post by Samual)
    I applied for a mixture of Norwegian, German and French - I only briefly mentioned German and hardly said a word about French and I still got in everywhere I applied, so it can be done. It might be best if you found a common theme or interest that can be applied to each language/country, in that way your statement will flow better and it won't look as if you're uncertain about what you want to study. For example, I mentioned a German WW2 film I liked and talked about my interest in the historical German-speaking population of Eastern Europe. I then linked that to minority languages in Norway.

Don't feel as if you have to talk about each language equally, if you're more interested in Portuguese or Chinese, write more about it.
    Thank you. I think I'll take your advice on board, I could interlink an idea between them all. I suppose I could talk about the growing economy of East Asia in general and the need for Asian language speakers, then link this into the idea that we need more Spanish speakers due to the South American economy which is also growing.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Try to narrow it down. Two or three might be doable, but you've mentioned six and that would be impossible. You're limited to 4000 characters, so attempting to include that many means you can't write much on each - and that won't be convincing. Ideally, you'd apply to "French and..." at all unis, so that you can write about French mostly (or whatever language!).

ReputationRep:
    I get where you're coming from. I'm looking at Japanese and Spanish mostly, but some universities that I'm interested in going to do not offer this combination. Japanese seems to be a rare degree outside of London, so it does limit my choices. Hence, I'd like to consider other languages, which are equally just as enjoyable to me. I think Exeter do Chinese and Spanish and Cardiff offers Italian and Japanese.
    I would just wrote about Spanish and Japanese - that way you are covering at least one language at each university

There would be clear reasons for each of these that would apply to the alternatives

If statements talked about the usefulness of European languages etc then it would spread the interest around a little

ReputationRep:

Thank you. I think I'll take your advice on board, I could interlink an idea between them all. I suppose I could talk about the growing economy of East Asia in general and the need for Asian language speakers, then link this into the idea that we need more Spanish speakers due to the South American economy which is also growing.
    Leeds does Japanese and Spanish, UEA does BA Modern Languages https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergra...course-profile allows you to do Japanese and Spanish although the focus is on Latin America culturally rather than Spain. And I'm pretty sure unis like Sheffield and Newcastle do Japanese, not sure if you can do it with Spanish though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.