The Student Room Group

Never proud

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdul-Karim
I don't believe it to be a true condition. It's just people making complaining or making excuses, in my opinion.

What a disgusting thing to say. I really hope karma comes and bites you.
Please stay on-topic

While discussion of depression in the context of if it affects the OP is fine, discussion on if depression is a real illness or not belongs in its own thread.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
This is a weird question. I am never happy with myself or my achievements , I got an offer from oxford university for a masters and I'm still not proud of myself? Does anyone ever feel this way? Or is it cause I have no one to share it with? Like I don't have a bf or anything... Anyone ever feel this way? Is this depression? I'm never happy with myself.

the reason you do well is cause your never happy with what you have.
once you feel you have reached the top.
go and find your yourself by travelling the world. go and smoke weed in india with gurus n grow dreadlocks. and wear flip flops with flannel trousers
Original post by Abdul-Karim
What does pride have to do with being unappreciative?

I'm still not convinced.

grand your choice kid

have a nice day
Original post by thatrollingstone
Because happiness never comes through academic or material achievements. It is about meaning and purpose through rich experiences and relationships.

Yes, relationships. I would never have known if someone asked me a few years ago. I wasted a large part of three years at university because I was too concentrated on academic performance and my career. I felt largely regret during my grad ceremony, despite achieving a first class honours.

Ask any human bring on the brink of death what they regret about their life. One that almost always comes up is that they didn't invest enough in their relationships and connecting with others.

I have 'achieved' quite a lot for someone my age (theoretically), however I am no more proud of myself than I was 10 years ago, perhaps just grateful.

There are too many factors that go into success. I know for a fact that a large part of mine has been down to influences that I didn't really choose or work for - intelligence, caring parents, intrinsic motivation etc etc.

Pride is for fools, gratitude is what really distinguishes the enlightened from the blind.

Wow ,was just reading through this thread and I must say I'm like a mini version of you.
This
Yes, relationships. I would never have known if someone asked me a few years ago. I wasted a large part of three years at university because I was too concentrated on academic performance and my career. I felt largely regret during my grad ceremony, despite achieving a first class honours"
Honestly touched me ,made me rethink and evaluate my life .(18 just finished A2). I've always been so focused on my academic performance even a few teachers have told me I need to chill.

I've only just realised how much it has affected me as a person.Ive become so distant from everybody.I falsely tell myself I don't need anybody,don't need friends yet still miserable all the time.i didn't want to accept the fact that as humans we are social creatures ,we need others to survive.
Thankyou for sharing :smile:
I think I can now see something I didn't *want* to see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by livealittle
Wow ,was just reading through this thread and I must say I'm like a mini version of you.
This
Yes, relationships. I would never have known if someone asked me a few years ago. I wasted a large part of three years at university because I was too concentrated on academic performance and my career. I felt largely regret during my grad ceremony, despite achieving a first class honours"
Honestly touched me ,made me rethink and evaluate my life .(18 just finished A2). I've always been so focused on my academic performance even a few teachers have told me I need to chill.

I've only just realised how much it has affected me as a person.Ive become so distant from everybody.I falsely tell myself I don't need anybody,don't need friends yet still miserable all the time.i didn't want to accept the fact that as humans we are social creatures ,we need others to survive.
Thankyou for sharing :smile:
I think I can now see something I didn't *want* to see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad I reached someone :wink: You definitely sound like me at A2, becoming distant from everybody etc.

You're in the perfect position to make a change now. When you start uni, be open minded, connect with people, join societies and go to their events. Start conversations with people common rooms, pubic libraries etc. Do crazy stuff with your friends (doesn't have to be drink related). Don't lose your sense of balance and ignore academics You will need to invest more and more into work during second and third years but it's perfectly possible to come out with great results whilst also having created meaningful experiences and connections at the same time.

Maybe keep a relevant quote or reminder on your pinboard e.g. "Have no regrets" to remind you.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending