Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Something I've always wondered about maths. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably as thick as a plank for asking this but this has puzzled me for a while.

Why is it that so many people who take A level maths/further maths, and who call it their favourite subject throughout their studies, end up taking either engineering or medicine degrees?

There must like 4 applicants from my year (including me) who wanted to do a math's degree.

Are they worried about career prospects, prestige or course difficulty?

Somebody give me a hint here :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Because maths a level is not same as maths at uni.

You cant do medicine at a level so maybe maths is their fav a level subject not subject overall.

They may prefer other subjects but dislike the way they are taught at a level ie i like history but hated a level history

Pure maths is also quite boring nice to mix it up with other modules

ReputationRep:
    The application of mathematics to a certain field of practice is generally more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    too hard for most kids

ReputationRep:
    Maths is my favourite subject at A-level but ive gone for physics (and applied maths) mainly because I'm not interested in the pure mathematics which has no real world use (as of yet) and is only done for the sake of maths. I want to learn all about the stuff that can be applied (which is actually most of it..)

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know. Maths and further maths are my fave/easiest subjects but I want to read physics at university. I think this is because physics will satisfy my mathematical needs as well as physical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Maths is my favourite subject at A-level but ive gone for physics (and applied maths) mainly because I'm not interested in the pure mathematics which has no real world use and is only done for the sake of maths. I want to learn all about the stuff that can be applied (which is actually most of it..)
    Get educated. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    I was good at Maths A-level and Fmaths and it was easy I applied and got into medicine because doing maths on it's own is boring and I don't envision myself doing that. A maths degree is not really hard.
    (Original post by sbj)

He's absolutely right. Why would anyone want to study a math degree is beyond me when you can do another STEM degree that uses math. Same thing with English on it's own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    I was good at Maths A-level and Fmaths and it was easy I applied and got into medicine because doing maths on it's own is boring and I don't envision myself doing that. A maths degree is not really hard.

He's absolutely right. Why would anyone want to study a math degree is beyond me when you can do another STEM degree that uses math. Same thing with English on it's own.
    A maths degree at a top university is hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    A maths degree at a top university is hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To a dumb person maybe. I could have done a maths degree at a "top uni" but the subject is honestly boring.

ReputationRep:
    Maths was one of my favourite subjects and now that I'm in uni I do miss it, but I still use maths in uni for my course and when I graduate (and hopefully get a job), I'll be relying on the application of maths daily for working out things like drug dosages, calculating fluid intakes/losses, nutritional planning etc. So I guess for me personally, choosing what uni course to study came down to more than just what subjects I liked. I also factored in career prospects, lifestyle etc. Studying maths wouldn't give me the job type, lifestyle etc that I want, which I'm sure is applicable to many others too when it comes to choosing courses.

ReputationRep:

No, he is not right. I can't understand how you will become a doctor if you don't know how to do a research.

First of all, school maths is just calculating, not maths. There is a huge difference with studiying maths at a university and school calculations.

Secondly, you have absolutely no clue. For example one of my friends is using fractional derivations to be able to control satellites on our orbit. The qwhole GPS system is mathematics.
    Every kind of secure system you have in your computer is maths.
    You need approximation of functions to be able to create smooth surfaces of any kind of thing (cars, planes, and so on).

You can look everywhere, it is maths. Just GET EDUCATED.
    Every kind of company is using operations research methods for maximazing their profit. You know EVERY KIND OF COMPANY.

There is no place where you don't have maths, pure maths. And not school stuff. I talk about that kind of mathematics, you think it is just done for the sake of it. No, you have absolutely no clue, really. Believe me.

ReputationRep:
    To a dumb person maybe. I could have done a maths degree at a "top uni" but the subject is honestly boring.
    Good joke, really. Not that you could not have done it, maybe. Just you have absolutely no clue about it (see post above), so you just can't judge about it.

It is like I'm saying I'd become without a problem a painter just because I was good at school...

ReputationRep:
    ^ umad?

Maths is not hard and maths is boring.

ReputationRep:
    ^ umad?

I am mad, yes.
    I keep asking myself how you will become a physician. Poor people.
    I have no problem with that you think it is easy and boring. Just you are so shallow, that you have no clue and you judge about those things. Absolutely funny.

ReputationRep:

These claims are ineffably ridiculous. No other discipline is as hard to warrant the multi-million prizes attached to the solutions of certain problems, and the fact that mathematical knowledge greatly outstrips that of any other discipline speaks volumes about how interesting it must be.

ReputationRep:
    They probably prefer the application of maths (which they would be able to do if they do med/engineering) to the theoretical side of it (which they would get from a maths degree).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbj)
    I meant im not interested in the pure mathematics which has no real word usage as of yet.

Most pure mathematics does have a usage and from what I've been told at university open days, what they treat as pure mathematics (atleast the unis that i asked) is a very hard line to define since if it can be considered to have a usage today then many would consider is to be applied..

ReputationRep:
    I meant im not interested in the pure mathematics which has no real word usage as of yet.
    Why is it that so many people require real-world use for mathematics to be interesting? Pure mathematics is far more beautiful as far as results go. For instance, the very fact that the Residue theorem is true is infinitely more interesting than any of its uses, of which there are many.

ReputationRep:

Most pure mathematics does have a usage and from what I've been told at university open days, what they treat as pure mathematics (atleast the unis that i asked) is a very hard line to define since if it can be considered to have a usage today then many would consider is to be applied..
    Look, everyone knows the prime numbers, right? 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17 ...

They are known for many many hundreds of years.

Until the computer was invented, they had no real use in our world. Just a chain of numbers. So, you would consider it as something which has no real world usage for the past thousand of years.
    But now the last 50 years, they are highly used. They are a great usage for encryption. And your internet connection, your phone, computer, and so on, everything today must have encryption to protect the user. Tell me another thing which is used by billion of people? It is literally a use in our world.

And these are just numbers. There are hundreds of pure maths which has a usage today which were not once a time.
    So, everything which you consider as it is not used for real world is just the current situation.

And everything which is applied today from the engineers and so on, was once high theoretical stuff until it was used.
    Engineers and scientists just use methods of the high theoretical stuff for their goals. They never see the theory behind it, because they are not able to understand it. So they know that what they need to know. Saying pure maths has no real usage is just ridiculous and it shows that you are shallow (I speak in general).

Yeah, there are stuff which just bunch of people understand and there are a lot of things yet they have no usage. But many of those highly theoretical stuff opens new doors for new things and these new things you use someday. So they had a usage for the real world, too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.