The Student Room Group

When and how do I apply for DSA?

Hi guys I'm just wondering when and how I go about applying for the DSA. I start uni this september. I am clueless what to do. I was only diagnosed with my learning difficulty in feb and i wasn't told about the DSA by my college until my last week and i was given little information of what to do for uni with regards to the DSA.
Reply 1
I haven't applied for DSA yet either, I have an appointment at my chosen uni this week and they're going to go through it all with me, I would advise you to get in touch with the disability support team at your chosen uni.

I don't think there is a deadline to which you can apply for DSA, even if it isn't up and running by Sept then that is not a problem.

My disabilities are different from learning difficulties, so I have to get a report from my doctor with regards to my problems, and then have an assessment. I am not sure if the same applies to learning difficulties.

I would get in contact with Student Finance and ask for a DSA application form - either the uni's disability support team or someone at SF with be able to tell you what you need to do to claim DSA.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant. I'll contact my uni tomorrow and see where I go from there. I'm thankful for your input
You can find out about DSA and how to apply here (assuming you live in England):

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/overview

I'd start the process ASAP. It's a short form (assuming you've already applied for normal finance) and you just need to attach the evidence i.e. the reports you have recently received

Good luck :smile:
Apply ASAP because you want to have the support in place for when you start uni.
Reply 5
What exactly does the DSA help with? What will i be entitled to at uni?
DSA is intended to level the playing field, so to give you the support you need to remove as many as possible of the barriers to learning caused by your SpLD. Exactly what those things are will depend on how you are affected/what course you'll be on etc and can include support from people (e.g. study skills, note-takers, mentors) or equipment (e.g. laptop, software) or travel costs (prob not likely for SpLD).
Try having a look at this and see if it helps with your questions:
www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media/664653/sfe_dsa_guide_1415_d.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest