Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim girl who went to an Islamic faith school... Ask me anything! Watch

ReputationRep:
    There was a lot of stuff about Muslim faith schools in the media last month and I figured it'd be good to try and answer any questions you guys may have about it. Or anything else you want to ask really

ReputationRep:
    Did it promote ideas of sharia law such as stoning? Also, what was the teaching on such religions as Christianity and Judaism like and were they taught from an impartial perspective?

ReputationRep:
    Are you happy that you went there or would you have rather attended a standard sate school?

ReputationRep:
    If you have knowledge of normal schools, what is done differently at your Islamic school?

Do you feel those differences will position you at a disadvantage when going into the 'real world'? By this I mean in terms of jobs and so on, rather than university. I often wonder about the value of a faith-based education in a society such as the UK which does not tend to regard a faith-based education as useful, particularly not an Islamic one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morethanafeeling)
    Did it promote ideas of sharia law such as stoning? Also, what was the teaching on such religions as Christianity and Judaism like and were they taught from an impartial perspective?
    Nope, I can honestly say that when I left that school at age 16 I had a zero knowledge of what sharia was. We weren't taught much about it, and when it came to GCSE the textbooks only offered a vague notion of what it was.

We weren't taught anything about any other religions, only Islam. I even did got a Religious Studies GCSE despite having never studied anything other than Islam, no idea how the school managed to pull it off tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    Nope, I can honestly say that when I left that school at age 16 I had a zero knowledge of what sharia was. We weren't taught much about it, and when it came to GCSE the textbooks only offered a vague notion of what it was.

We weren't taught anything about any other religions, only Islam. I even did got a Religious Studies GCSE despite having never studied anything other than Islam, no idea how the school managed to pull it off tbh
    So you don't have a balanced perspective on religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartplums)
    Are you happy that you went there or would you have rather attended a standard sate school?
    At the time I resented the school quite a bit, especially when I started because obviously all my friends had gone to the local state school. And when I was there I disliked it still (and every other student there really) but I enjoyed myself at the same time because I made very good friends there.

Now, I regret going there a teeny bit because the standard of education there was quite poor and so my grades suffered as a result but on the whole I am more than glad my parents sent me there as I was able to practise my faith openly and without question, which is difficult to find in a state school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    If you have knowledge of normal schools, what is done differently at your Islamic school?

Do you feel those differences will position you at a disadvantage when going into the 'real world'? By this I mean in terms of jobs and so on, rather than university. I often wonder about the value of a faith-based education in a society such as the UK which does not tend to regard a faith-based education as useful, particularly not an Islamic one.
    Not much, apart from the fact that everyone there was Muslim and female obviously. The curriculum was the same as a normal school, with the addition of some faith-based subjects. School environment was the same. (I say this having attended a state primary school before and a state sixth form afterwards.)

Honestly I haven't given that much thought, I guess having an Islamic school down on my CV will disadvantage me a bit. That never crossed my mind actually

ReputationRep:
    There was a lot of stuff about Muslim faith schools in the media last month and I figured it'd be good to try and answer any questions you guys may have about it. Or anything else you want to ask really

Basic info: Female, 18 years old, born and raised in UK, live in London, off to university in September to study English Literature.
    Did they give you eid and ramadan off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morethanafeeling)
    So you don't have a balanced perspective on religion
    I'd say that I do, more than others in fact. I learnt a lot about other religions myself, just by reading lots especially Christianity, I have many Hindu/Sikh friends so I know quite a bit about their religion and I have a Jewish friend who answers any questions I have about Judaism Plus I did R.E in primary school, if that counts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Did they give you eid and ramadan off?
    Yep, several days off for each Eid, and the last 10 days of Ramadan off. In my earlier years at the school we even had a Hajj holiday added onto our Decemeber holidays. And we had all the other national holidays of course

ReputationRep:
    what did you most enjoy most about going to a Islamic faith school?

ReputationRep:

Basic info: Female, 18 years old, born and raised in UK, live in London, off to university in September to study English Literature.
    If you have children will you ever send them to a faith school.

My sisters went to faith schools and I went to a private school. When I talk to them about school it sounds like worlds apart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by securetrust)
    what did you most enjoy most about going to a Islamic faith school?
    Check the post directly above yours The holidays were awesome, but the best thing for me (although I didn't realise it at the time) was being able to pray whenever. There were designated places for prayer, prayer breaks during the school day, everything. I could literally get up and pray in the middle of class if I wanted to, which we did in the winter when 'Asr and Maghrib were early, the whole class would get up and pray together and then resume class. Also we were taught Arabic, Islamic history, Fiqh, Qur'an, Tajweed, Tafseer etc etc. Didn't appreciate at the time (I guess that's how life always is) but now I'm very glad I went there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    If you have children will you ever send them to a faith school.

My sisters went to faith schools and I went to a private school. When I talk to them about school it sounds like worlds apart.
    Depends, of course. If you'd asked me this time last year I would have vehemently said no haha, but if I can then yeah I hope to (God willing)

ReputationRep:
    Did they have Quran recitation classes?

If yes, then did they punish you if you mispronounce an Ayat (verse)?

Were you expected to memorize passages from the Quran?

Did you like your teachers?

Do you like Biryani?

ReputationRep:
    What did you enjoy the most about your school?

What did you most dislike about your school?

Are your parents strict?

Did you get time to do Salah in school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    Did they have Quran recitation classes?

If yes, then did they punish you if you mispronounce an Ayat (verse)?

Were you expected to memorize passages from the Quran?

Did you like your teachers?

Do you like Biryani?
    They did for a while I think, teachers often came and went so what we were taught change a lot. I remember this one teacher who made us recite the bottom 3 surahs of the Qur'an over and over for months even though we already knew them :lol:

Not really, many of our teachers couldn't pronounce Arabic very well themselves (I don't mean that in a rude way) so they weren't too strict on pronunciation.

Not particularly

Yes I love it!

ReputationRep:
    You going to university? If so where and what are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    What did you enjoy the most about your school?

What did you most dislike about your school?

Are your parents strict?

Did you get time to do Salah in school?
    1, 2. Already mentioned in previous posts but basically:

good points: was able to pray on time, spend time with other muslims

bad points: education was pretty bad, lack of facilities, biased teachers (they only liked you if you were asian )

3. Yeah they are pretty strict, some would consider them very strict i think lol

4. Yep we did, as I mentioned above

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.