Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a portuguese student and I'm thinking about applying to medicine in UK. I've read about the BMAT/UKCAT tests and I've found them really hard since they're based on the british curriculum and have so many questions for such a short amount of time.!! Any adivice about them would be great
    Besides, what are the best uni? I liked clare college and kings (cambridge) but I don't know what they would think about my profile.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanillasky123)
    I'm a portuguese student and I'm thinking about applying to medicine in UK. I've read about the BMAT/UKCAT tests and I've found them really hard since they're based on the british curriculum and have so many questions for such a short amount of time.!! Any adivice about them would be great
    Besides, what are the best uni? I liked clare college and kings (cambridge) but I don't know what they would think about my profile.
    Hi

Take a look at some of the general FAQs that might answer most of your questions about medicine in the UK (including the UKCAT/BMAT): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Guide_and_FAQs

For questions about the UKCAT ask them here, so the right people can answer: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2659689

And the BMAT: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2629211

As for the best uni, there isn't one - it all depends on your personal preferences (what city? what kind of course?) etc. which is described in more detail here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...school_is_best

A (very) common question asked on TSR is "Which medical school is the best?" or "Which medical school is the most prestigious?" and this article will try and go someway into answering those questions and dispelling some common myths. The short answer is that there is no best medical school. Medicine is different to the vast majority of other university courses in that there is no 'best' or 'highest ranked' institution to study at. There are multiple reasons for this, which will be discussed further in the article, but they can be summed up with: it doesn't matter where you graduate as it makes no difference to your competence or your job prospects.
    The self-perptuating notion that some medical schools are 'more respected' than others has it's origins in the fact that other university courses work like this. For example, studying a science subject at a 'prestigious' institution will make it easier to find a job as the degree you earn is more respected. This same logic doesn't work for medicine as unlike other subjects, a medical degree is highly respected no matter where it was awarded from.

When choosing medical schools to apply to, it is strongly advised to research the courses intensively to ensure that they'd suit your style of learning. There are a lot of factors you should bear in mind when picking a medical school, some of which are listed on the Where should I apply? page on this wiki. Do not apply to medical schools which you think are "the best" or "more prestigious". Or if you do, don't be surprised when you become disillusioned with a course and university which may not suit you.
    If you have international qualifications I'm not sure any of us would be qualified to give you any advice on applying to Cambridge - it would be best to email them directly. If you have GCSE's / A-Levels, there's advice on the link I posted before. Cambridge generally look for high AS module marks from applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Hi

Take a look at some of the general FAQs that might answer most of your questions about medicine in the UK (including the UKCAT/BMAT): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Guide_and_FAQs

For questions about the UKCAT ask them here, so the right people can answer: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2659689

And the BMAT: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2629211

As for the best uni, there isn't one - it all depends on your personal preferences (what city? what kind of course?) etc. which is described in more detail here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...school_is_best

If you have international qualifications I'm not sure any of us would be qualified to give you any advice on applying to Cambridge - it would be best to email them directly. If you have GCSE's / A-Levels, there's advice on the link I posted before. Cambridge generally look for high AS module marks from applicants.

Thank you so much. As a non UK student should I apply through a school or as an individual?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. As a non UK student should I apply through a school or as an individual?
    Probably as individual unless there is somebody at your school that runs UCAS applications etc.

ReputationRep:

Hi vanillasky123!

I saw your post about applying to medical school in the UK and wanted to offer some advice.

Important stages:

1. Personal statement
    2. UKCAT/BMAT/both
    3. Interview

1. The personal statement is an essay about why you want to do medicine. This is so important because if it's good, you will get an interview. If it's bad, you won't.

2. Don't bother booking any courses for UKCAT. Just get a book and practice. I didn't go on a BMAT course but I was told there are some good ones. Not sure which though so you will have to ask someone who went.

3. Interview... get through stage 1 and 2, then we can talk about interviews!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi - you have good taste if you like Clare

Personal statements are important for medicine but rather less so than what grades you get and for Clare how you do at the BMAT exam. The BMAT is supposed to level the playing field for people with different qualifications but if you don't have the level of knowledge required for the exam then you wouldn't survive a tough Cambridge medicine course. However not all students finish the questions, some inspired guesswork goes on. You shouldn't get someone else to write your statement and this site offers some help for free.

The medicine wiki is pretty good and there's a thread called "ask an admissions tutor" where you might get some help with Cambridge questions, although don't mention Clare or Kings as I don't think they are from either college.

Cambridge medicine courses and London courses are generally 6 years and others 5 years, something to consider as either is expensive!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.