Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I realistically progress? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'9 and weigh about 10 and a half stone. I guess you could call me skinny ... I am built pretty muchlike this guy Oscar from Chelsea FC -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=os...w=1366&bih=634

I've been going to the gym now for about 2 months-3. I've seen slight improvement and will post a couple pics later.... however the problem I have is gaining weight. I'm an ectomorph, like Oscar. I just don't gain weight. I evem have a dump about 2-3 times a day, daily. The problem is I'm not seeing any noticeable progress and I don't know whether that is down to lack of weight gain, my workout plan or that I'm just being impatient. I'm not seeing massive gains, that is for sure. But I wonder if I've hit my ceiling unless I gain weight.

The weird thing is though that I can lift on certain weights or machines a fair bit. Like on the shoulder press I can do 4x8 reps of 60kg. Or chest press with dumbbells I can do 4x8 of 17.5kg each side which for someone for my size and when I look at others in the gym, seems pretty reasonable. Over time I have DEFINITELY increased my lifting weight across most exercises. But I don't think my body looks particularly different to when I started, I look more toned but that's it.

And then there's weird things I don't get. I can do 60kg on the shoulder press machine but I struggle to achieve 12.5kg 4x8 bicep curl dumbbell reps. Why is there such a big difference?

I don't currently take protein shakes which I know would help but I've read they affect your kidneys, I need to research it more.

Any answers to the above points/questions would be great. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    What's your diet like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMike)
    What's your diet like?
    I usually have porridge for breakfast. Often with banana. If not I'll have some toast with banana and a yogurt. Something like that. Lunch I will take to work, which consists of either carry over dinner consisting of rice with chicken, or it could be 4 sandwiches etc Sometimes I'll pop into waitrose and buy a further something like a pastry or some kind of calorific bun. Then I'll have dinner which my mum will make and usually be something healthy/calorific. I have healthy food, plus chicken/meat etc Right this moment as I type I'm having a glass of milk and 2 slices of bread with peanut butter.

My diet is kind of like that. Is that good or bad? I don't know.

Tbh I don't strategise my diet. I just try to eat when I can to keep ontop of my weight and try to make sure I eat/drink calorific stuff when I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    I usually have porridge for breakfast. Often with banana. If not I'll have some toast with banana and a yogurt. Something like that. Lunch I will take to work, which consists of either carry over dinner consisting of rice with chicken, or it could be 4 sandwiches etc Sometimes I'll pop into waitrose and buy a further something like a pastry or some kind of calorific bun. Then I'll have dinner which my mum will make and usually be something healthy/calorific. I have healthy food, plus chicken/meat etc Right this moment as I type I'm having a glass of milk and 2 slices of bread with peanut butter.

My diet is kind of like that. Is that good or bad? I don't know.

Tbh I don't strategise my diet. I just try to eat when I can to keep ontop of my weight and try to make sure I eat/drink calorific stuff when I can.
    If you want to take it seriously and really boost your gains, you need to be eating a lot more than that. Frequent small meals. High protein food. Cut out anything fattening. The diet is absolutely crucial, you won't make big gains without getting it right.

ReputationRep:
    I think that you are a little impatient, the body generally does not react well to drastic changes, so what the guy above said about changing your diet instantly will have an opposite impact to your body that you want.

You say that you've been working out for 3 months, usually beginners need to find their plateau which is the stage at which they slow down their muscle gain as there body learns to cope with the stress.

This can be done through simple and weightless exercises such as push ups, pull ups and sit ups. I would advice not to get too complicated with your workouts until you've hit your plateau. Your body needs to just ease into working out.

That's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMike)
    If you want to take it seriously and really boost your gains, you need to be eating a lot more than that. Frequent small meals. High protein food. Cut out anything fattening. The diet is absolutely crucial, you won't make big gains without getting it right.
    But where do people find the time to eat like that? If you work from 11-8 it is hard to find time to have these meals. The expense as well to really treat the diet with that attention jeeez.

ReputationRep:
    Peoples goals are often unrealistic their training is often inconsistent along with their diet, and sleep.

You can make noticeable gains with in a few months. Truth be told this is the internet and marketing hugely misportrays what is achievable.

Lets say a bodybuilder is 220lbs and looks really fat and bloated, he then cuts down to 195lbs in 15 weeks and looks unbelievable, this isn't 15 weeks work, its years of work before building up that lean body mass.

It takes years and I mean 6+ years to develop a decent physique. Then again bodybuilding is subjective, so it's all personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    What is your routine in the gym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG44)
    Peoples goals are often unrealistic their training is often inconsistent along with their diet, and sleep.

You can make noticeable gains with in a few months. Truth be told this is the internet and marketing hugely misportrays what is achievable.

Lets say a bodybuilder is 220lbs and looks really fat and bloated, he then cuts down to 195lbs in 15 weeks and looks unbelievable, this isn't 15 weeks work, its years of work before building up that lean body mass.

It takes years and I mean 6+ years to develop a decent physique. Then again bodybuilding is subjective, so it's all personal preference.

It does not take as long as you are saying to see noticable differences. I know this because my older brother recently started at a gym and in 5-6 months he looks completely different. Your scale of 6+ years is way off.

ReputationRep:
    That's really light man you need to gain a stone just to be up to maintenance imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    But where do people find the time to eat like that? If you work from 11-8 it is hard to find time to have these meals. The expense as well to really treat the diet with that attention jeeez.
    You can eat twice before 11, presumably you have a lunch break, then eat when you come back. With those hours you've got plenty of time to hit the gym in the morning too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    I'm 5'9 and weigh about 10 and a half stone. I guess you could call me skinny ... I am built pretty muchlike this guy Oscar from Chelsea FC -

The weird thing is though that I can lift on certain weights or machines a fair bit. Like on the shoulder press I can do 4x8 reps of 60kg. Or chest press with dumbbells I can do 4x8 of 17.5kg each side which for someone for my size and when I look at others in the gym, seems pretty reasonable. Over time I have DEFINITELY increased my lifting weight across most exercises. But I don't think my body looks particularly different to when I started, I look more toned but that's it.

And then there's weird things I don't get. I can do 60kg on the shoulder press machine but I struggle to achieve 12.5kg 4x8 bicep curl dumbbell reps. Why is there such a big difference?

I don't currently take protein shakes which I know would help but I've read they affect your kidneys, I need to research it more.

Any answers to the above points/questions would be great. Thanks.
    First off I'm no guru, but the movements you're excelling in are compound movements so you're using a number of muscle groups - therefore you'll be stronger in those than little isolation exercises like curls. The shoulder press sounds impressive, but I doubt you'd do so well with a barbell OHP, likewise that bench really isn't very high - don't mean to burst your bubble.

You really should weight at least 11 stone tbh at the least, sort your diet ( don't worry about protein shakes, they're fine) focus on compound movements (i.e. deadlift, bench, OHP, squat, rows, pull ups, chin ups) and you should be on the beginner gains train like erryone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakekelly_)
    It does not take as long as you are saying to see noticable differences. I know this because my older brother recently started at a gym and in 5-6 months he looks completely different. Your scale of 6+ years is way off.

That is clearly false, you're not going to look like a bodybuilder in 6 months of training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG44)
    That is clearly false, you're not going to look like a bodybuilder in 6 months of training.
    Sorry I didnt read it properly

ReputationRep:
    you need to eat. Doesn't matter if lots of small meals or a few big, just eat

try shakes w/ whole milk, protein powder, eggs etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.