Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Major help required about clearing and choosing the wrong uni course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I'm hoping to go to uni in September . I am a student from northern ireland' The a levels I have done are : home economics , ict and religion. I need major help on a number of issues regarding the whole application process and desperately need some useful tips and tricks so if you could help me out that would be fab!

I have applied for computing and information technology in queens university belfast which I hold a conditional firm offer . My insurance offer is information and communications in manchester metropolitan university which is my conditional insurance. Queens uni are looking BBB and manchester are looking BCC . I recently went over to manchester from Northern Ireland and I loved the city however I felt that the uni course wasn't the one for me . From this I have now decided that I do not particularly want to partake in a computing related degree.

My mind has totally changed now from carrying out voluntary work and making me realise that the degree I really would like to do is teaching . I am aware that teaching is an interview that is required in order to hold a place at that university.

I want to know what my options are on teaching(primary)?
    Is there a degree such as early years which would then allow me to do a pgce?
    Do I have to take a gap year ?
    What grades are normally required?
    Which university's would you recommend for primary school teaching?

Thank you so much any help is greatly appreciated as I am very confused at the moment as to what action I should take

Thanks

Jayne xx

ReputationRep:
    My friend is currently doing primary teaching and she needed at least a C in English, Maths and Science. You could go through clearing but the spaces will be filled up very quickly I could imagine as it is a very popular course. Some universities (I know Lincoln do this, already have a list on their website with spaces left in certain courses, it doesn't contain a number but it will give you a rough idea) Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I hope I get a place which will allow me what I want to do and it's such a shame that I haven't my science gcse. It's just so confusing what universities have places or not? What are you hoping to do at university ? Good luck to you too x

ReputationRep:
    Some universities (not sure which ones) will allow you to do a Science GCSE alongside your degree. Yeah it is confusing but most will reveal which places they have left on the 14th August. I'm hoping to do Film Production at Sheffield Hallam and if I don't get in there I'm hoping Lincoln will have a place on their course for me. Aww thank you x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.