Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'll be starting A-Levels in September and one of the subjects I'll be studying is Sociology. A heads up with the difficulty of the course, etc would be very helpful! I have not studied it at GCSE level so I am slightly worried I may get the short end of the stick here. Should I be worried? Do you think it is a generally 'easy' subject? Also, do you think I should do light reading during my holidays now before September? Is the jump from AS to A2 in Sociology a lot or bearable? This is particularly to Sociology students who HAVE studied it at A-Level.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm_27)
    Hey guys,

I'll be starting A-Levels in September and one of the subjects I'll be studying is Sociology. A heads up with the difficulty of the course, etc would be very helpful! I have not studied it at GCSE level so I am slightly worried I may get the short end of the stick here. Should I be worried? Do you think it is a generally 'easy' subject? Also, do you think I should do light reading during my holidays now before September? Is the jump from AS to A2 in Sociology a lot or bearable? This is particularly to Sociology students who HAVE studied it at A-Level.

Thank you.
    So I didn't study it at GCSE either but just finished the AS and it was relatively easy. As long as you make sure you do revision 2-3 months in advance you should be fine. You should also by revision guides as I found that they're very helpful compared to other subjects revision guides. Out of the subjects I did it was the easiest, the others being philosophy, geography & History, however due to this I neglected it in terms of revision so don't think I achieved the A I was predicted. So far the month of A2 we've done has been pretty difficult but I'm sure it will get easier.

You'll also find that if you do similar subjects e.g.. Geography There's a lot of overlap.

ReputationRep:
    Most people haven't done it at GCSE so I wouldn't worry about that at all. In fact, I did it at GCSE and although it was useful in that I knew some key terms and I had a basic understanding of Marxism, Feminism, Functionalism and the New Right already, it certainly was not necessary. Its difficulty is obviously subjective but I found it relatively hard and I do maths, economics and French, so it's not like my other subjects are really easy. I found that it took too much effort for a subject that's not particularly well respected anyway, which is why I'm not carrying it on to A2. However, if your strengths lie within essay writing, it is a very good subject to pick.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry at all. You'll find that maybe in a class of 30 only 2/3 people did it at GCSE. I wouldn't go as far to say that the subject is 'easy' because there is a heck of a lot of content. As previously advised...as long as you dedicate a good 2/3 months to sociology revision and you attempt as many essays as possible (annoy your teacher with them) you will be fine. In my AS year I was worried sick about sociology because of how much there was to learn but the essays in the exam are straightforward and they are mainly only looking for application of knowledge. Good luck with your studies!!!

ReputationRep:
    I did sociology at GCSE, AS and A2. The GCSE course gives you good background understanding, but at AS/A2 its so different. I recommend you buy an AQA text book and if you're willing to read it over the summer then go for it. It will give you a brief understanding and will familiarise yourself with everything.

Make sure throughout the year (like the others have said) do a tonne of past papers and essays and get them marked. Just learn the content thoroughly and learn to apply it in the essay context and you will be fine!

P.S - there is a load of theorists, try and learn them as you go, dont leave it till the end!

ReputationRep:
    I intend in getting an A* overall, with early revision (2/3 months as suggested), is this possible? Or would a grade as such need more intense and even more earlier revision? How have you found it personally (in terms of getting an A*)?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done it GCSE, I'm predicted an A*

I've just finished AS. Just do as many practice essays as possible, give them to your teacher to mark, work on the feedback, it's like most subjects. I found it fairly easy, but it's fascinating to me. I love Sociology, and having a genuine interest in a subject often means you'll do better in it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about not having done it at GCSE, I didn't and I got an A at A Level in it. It is easy enough to understand but it is important to do enough essay practice. I did units in family, education, beliefs and crime. The theorists all overlap but have a different emphasis. I think the most important thing is to do essays all the time and fortunately my teacher marked them all the time and then you can improve and prepare yourself for whatever comes up in the exam and perfect your essay technique.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.