Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! :hello:

This week I have to decide between doing the following for GCSE: Business, History, Media, Art, Music. I was wondering if you could help me come to a decision.

I am already going to be doing the following for GCSE: Geography, French, Spanish, Chemistry, Maths, English, Physics, Biology, Statistics, Religion, Food (and perhaps more).

I'm leaning towards Business. Quite a few of my friends are doing Business and I think that it's a fairly useful subject. I have heard that it is easy, but boring. I have always liked the idea of Business, but what we do in class is rather boring and repetitive. The teacher that I would have is alright.

I have had some excellent grades in my recent History assessments (A*s), but the thing is that, often, History doesn't interest me. One of my friends is doing History. That's all I really have to say about History.

I find Media fairly interesting, presumably because I can relate to it; it's all about advertisement, magazines, films, etc. which we all grow up surrounded by. We have already started the Media GCSE coursework this year, but it has been extremely poorly organised due to changes in teachers and other factors, so we haven't done as much learning as we hoped to do. None of my close friends are doing Media and the teacher that I would have is no worse than, but no better than, mediocre. In my Media project I received an A-.

I think Art is the one I'd least rather do. More often than not, I enjoy Art and recently I've been getting Grade As and Bs, but there is so much coursework. If you love Art and are good at it, you wouldn't mind doing all that coursework. However, I don't think I'd like to do it.

I was thinking about Music originally. I play a bit of piano (passed Grade 1 with distinction) and used to do violin for 7 years (passed Grades 1 and 2). I've always liked Music, but only one of my friends is doing it, but she would probably not hang out with me as some of her better friends will be in the class too. The GCSE is split into performance, listening and composing. I struggle with composition unless I have been given guidance or a very specific criteria. With the occasional piece of music, I also find the listening section difficult.

Last month, I was thinking Music. Last week, I was thinking Media. Yesterday, I was thinking Business. Today, I just don't know! I was thinking that Music might look good on my CV because it would make me look more well-rounded, but Business is quite 'universal' because it incorporates Maths, English and other subjects.

I was thinking, if you wanted to do a job to do with Media, would a Business GCSE be acceptable? If you wanted a job to do with Business, would a Media GCSE be acceptable? I came to a conclusion that the first scenario would be better than the second, but what are your thoughts?

I know you can't decide for me and at the end of the day it's me who fills the form in, but could you help me to decide which option to choose?

Thank you very much in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know it is a long post, but there's no need to read all the detail in the middle if you don't want to.

Please could you give me a bit of advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by sophie !)
    Hi! :hello:

This week I have to decide between doing the following for GCSE: Business, History, Media, Art, Music. I was wondering if you could help me come to a decision.

I am already going to be doing the following for GCSE: Geography, French, Spanish, Chemistry, Maths, English, Physics, Biology, Statistics, Religion, Food (and perhaps more).

I'm leaning towards Business. Quite a few of my friends are doing Business and I think that it's a fairly useful subject. I have heard that it is easy, but boring. I have always liked the idea of Business, but what we do in class is rather boring and repetitive. The teacher that I would have is alright.

I have had some excellent grades in my recent History assessments (A*s), but the thing is that, often, History doesn't interest me. One of my friends is doing History. That's all I really have to say about History.

I find Media fairly interesting, presumably because I can relate to it; it's all about advertisement, magazines, films, etc. which we all grow up surrounded by. We have already started the Media GCSE coursework this year, but it has been extremely poorly organised due to changes in teachers and other factors, so we haven't done as much learning as we hoped to do. None of my close friends are doing Media and the teacher that I would have is no worse than, but no better than, mediocre. In my Media project I received an A-.

I think Art is the one I'd least rather do. More often than not, I enjoy Art and recently I've been getting Grade As and Bs, but there is so much coursework. If you love Art and are good at it, you wouldn't mind doing all that coursework. However, I don't think I'd like to do it.

I was thinking about Music originally. I play a bit of piano (passed Grade 1 with distinction) and used to do violin for 7 years (passed Grades 1 and 2). I've always liked Music, but only one of my friends is doing it, but she would probably not hang out with me as some of her better friends will be in the class too. The GCSE is split into performance, listening and composing. I struggle with composition unless I have been given guidance or a very specific criteria. With the occasional piece of music, I also find the listening section difficult.

Last month, I was thinking Music. Last week, I was thinking Media. Yesterday, I was thinking Business. Today, I just don't know! I was thinking that Music might look good on my CV because it would make me look more well-rounded, but Business is quite 'universal' because it incorporates Maths, English and other subjects.

I was thinking, if you wanted to do a job to do with Media, would a Business GCSE be acceptable? If you wanted a job to do with Business, would a Media GCSE be acceptable? I came to a conclusion that the first scenario would be better than the second, but what are your thoughts?

I know you can't decide for me and at the end of the day it's me who fills the form in, but could you help me to decide which option to choose?

Thank you very much in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello Sophie What career do you think you'd like to go into?

For buisiness: I'd suggest emailing or talking to the teacher or looking at the spec to see what is taught, you may find that you actually learn some new stuff that you find interesting? You'd probably be more likely to better at something you enjoy too.

For music, don't worry about coming along as "well-rounded" Universities and employers don't really care that much about your GCSEs and you can always put music listed as one of your hobbies and/or qualifications.. and you said that you find some bits of it difficult.

I think you should rule out art as you have doubts about it.

With media, I guess you could look more into the stuff you learn about? And check with the teacher thing, you need to know if the teaching is stable, it really messes you up if its not (I know from experience) A- is still very good and you can improve over the next 2 years if you work for it

For history, you're likely to do better at something that interests you. Even though you're getting A*s, you could get worse later on. Do you know about the content being taught for GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Hello Sophie What career do you think you'd like to go into?

For buisiness: I'd suggest emailing or talking to the teacher or looking at the spec to see what is taught, you may find that you actually learn some new stuff that you find interesting? You'd probably be more likely to better at something you enjoy too.

For music, don't worry about coming along as "well-rounded" Universities and employers don't really care that much about your GCSEs and you can always put music listed as one of your hobbies and/or qualifications.. and you said that you find some bits of it difficult.

I think you should rule out art as you have doubts about it.

With media, I guess you could look more into the stuff you learn about? And check with the teacher thing, you need to know if the teaching is stable, it really messes you up if its not (I know from experience) A- is still very good and you can improve over the next 2 years if you work for it

For history, you're likely to do better at something that interests you. Even though you're getting A*s, you could get worse later on. Do you know about the content being taught for GCSE?
    Hello.

I'll have a look at the content being taught for GCSE for Media, History and Business.

Not the career question again! I'm sorry, I have no idea what I want to do! Well, I have some ideas, but I don't feel strongly about any. Here are my ideas: private jet pilot, writing articles in a magazine, showing people around houses, GP… A primary school teacher even.

Astrology, meteorology and psychology have all always interested me for some reason. I hope to do Psychology GCSE if I get the chance next year.

My favourite subject has always been languages. I study French and Spanish at the moment. I hope to become more fluent in Italian as well, but at the moment I have got to focus on the other two languages which I am taking for GCSE. I also really like some aspects of Chemistry and some aspects of Geography, I suppose.

Although I'm only in Year 9, I've already got a good idea of what I'd like to do at A-Level if I do 4 A-Levels. I'd like to do a language and Chemistry. Those are the two that I'm sure about. I'm also thinking of Maths because, despite the fact that I don't consider myself a "Mathsy" person, it is preferred for a lot of jobs. For my fourth A-Level, I would pick either Geography, Psychology or Biology...or another language, even.

Sorry about all this detail and rambling on, but I thought it might help people give any more possible advice about my job and my GCSE options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ( That was kind of meant to be a smiley face rather than a winky face... Awkward. )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Hello.

I'll have a look at the content being taught for GCSE for Media, History and Business.

Not the career question again! I'm sorry, I have no idea what I want to do! Well, I have some ideas, but I don't feel strongly about any. Here are my ideas: private jet pilot, writing articles in a magazine, showing people around houses, GP… A primary school teacher even.

Astrology, meteorology and psychology have all always interested me for some reason. I hope to do Psychology GCSE if I get the chance next year.

My favourite subject has always been languages. I study French and Spanish at the moment. I hope to become more fluent in Italian as well, but at the moment I have got to focus on the other two languages which I am taking for GCSE. I also really like some aspects of Chemistry and some aspects of Geography, I suppose.

Although I'm only in Year 9, I've already got a good idea of what I'd like to do at A-Level if I do 4 A-Levels. I'd like to do a language and Chemistry. Those are the two that I'm sure about. I'm also thinking of Maths because, despite the fact that I don't consider myself a "Mathsy" person, it is preferred for a lot of jobs. For my fourth A-Level, I would pick either Geography, Psychology or Biology...or another language, even.

Sorry about all this detail and rambling on, but I thought it might help people give any more possible advice about my job and my GCSE options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, well that's quite a broad range of careers If you even want to go into anything specific like history, buisiness or media, I'm sure getting a good grade in English would be fine for that :yep: Haha, another language lover (I'm not one but I know some who are ) A levels are still a long way to go so you have a long time to decide still If you haven't got like a set career, I'd suggest to keep your options open :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well that's quite a broad range of careers If you even want to go into anything specific like history, buisiness or media, I'm sure getting a good grade in English would be fine for that :yep: Haha, another language lover (I'm not one but I know some who are ) A levels are still a long way to go so you have a long time to decide still If you haven't got like a set career, I'd suggest to keep your options open :yep:
    Yes - my career ideas aren't at all related to one another!

A good grade in English wouldn't be guaranteed if I'm honest - although my target grade is an A* (like most of my subjects' target grades), it's never been the easiest of subjects for me…

How could I revise for English, apart from reading as everyone always says? How should I try to decide on a career I want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You sound just like me as a year 10 with that careers list!

Mine was: fashion designer, surgeon, GP, A&E doc, fashion mag editor/writer, primary school teacher, scientist (research), 'businesswoman', lawyer. LOL

Don't take maths for the sake of jobs and what not. I took maths despite not being great at it and didn't do great. Also hated it for a year (the teacher didn't help). But you're a long while away from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingunique)
    You sound just like me as a year 10 with that careers list!

Mine was: fashion designer, surgeon, GP, A&E doc, fashion mag editor/writer, primary school teacher, scientist (research), 'businesswoman', lawyer. LOL

Don't take maths for the sake of jobs and what not. I took maths despite not being great at it and didn't do great. Also hated it for a year (the teacher didn't help). But you're a long while away from that.
    So what are you doing now, job-/education-wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Yes - my career ideas aren't at all related to one another!

A good grade in English wouldn't be guaranteed if I'm honest - although my target grade is an A* (like most of my subjects' target grades), it's never been the easiest of subjects for me…

How could I revise for English, apart from reading as everyone always says? How should I try to decide on a career I want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How well do you think you are at English? What grades would you expect? I think a B would be alright It depends on what you're revising specifically for, what will you be doing at GCSE? MrBruff's youtube channel is really good as well as SparkNotes. Wouldn't worry about it yet though as you haven't started the GCSE yet

To decide on your career, I'd think about the subjects you're good at and enjoy, that's really all the advice I can give on that, apart from waiting to decide as you haven't started your GCSE's yet Also think about the chance of employment..

ReputationRep:
    How well do you think you are at English? What grades would you expect? I think a B would be alright It depends on what you're revising specifically for, what will you be doing at GCSE? MrBruff's youtube channel is really good as well as SparkNotes. Wouldn't worry about it yet though as you haven't started the GCSE yet

To decide on your career, I'd think about the subjects you're good at and enjoy, that's really all the advice I can give on that, apart from waiting to decide as you haven't started your GCSE's yet Also think about the chance of employment..
    Realistically, I would expect a B if not an A in English, but I will definitely aim for an A*.

Thanks, I will look at MrBruff's YouTube channel and Sparknotes.

I suppose I have some time to decide about my career. The problem is that none of my ideas are related to one another - for example if someone wanted to be a doctor, chemist or pharmacist they would know to go down the medicine route. However, I don't know! Maybe if I started more hobbies I would find more things that interest me.

Thanks so much for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do business, take it - but it also tends to be a subject with a lot of coursework. It also is apparently quite boring and I don't really know that many people who enjoy it, but the subject content or anything isn't too difficult. I'd encourage you to think about history as you're good at it and it's the most respected out of those choices. Also if you take it you'll get the Ebacc or whatever it's called, but at GCSE it doesn't really matter what subjects you choose but choosing more traditional subjects leaves you more options open at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    If you want to do business, take it - but it also tends to be a subject with a lot of coursework. It also is apparently quite boring and I don't really know that many people who enjoy it, but the subject content or anything isn't too difficult. I'd encourage you to think about history as you're good at it and it's the most respected out of those choices. Also if you take it you'll get the Ebacc or whatever it's called, but at GCSE it doesn't really matter what subjects you choose but choosing more traditional subjects leaves you more options open at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough. Thanks. So, which of the 5 choices is most respected?

Would you rather do something thay you're fairly good at and that is respected, but you don't enjoy it - or something that isn't all that respected by universities, but you really like it and you're very decent at the subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So what are you doing now, job-/education-wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL I am (well was) a hot mess. I applied to Medicine (+ foundation year) rejected it, and am now pursuing neuroscience at Leicester. I've just finished yr 13 and hope to start uni this yr.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do Business, I think. It was a tough decision. Do you think I've made the right choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow thats great! I've chosen some of the same subjects as you (Media, History) although i'm doing Economics instead of Business since our schools Business teachers aren't very good and i'm pretty dependent on the notes haha :P, I think you'll enjoy doing History if you're passionate about it, but its a plus point if you are good at memorising and writing essays! I'm at the same stage as you :P It is pretty hard choosing subjects!

A good idea would be to choose the subjects you are good at, thats all that matters! I don't think universities really bother what on your GCSE subject choices, they look at your grades on it. So don't take subjects you aren't sure about doing or have a lack of interest in but are doing because its related to what you want to be or something. Choose a subject according to how good you may be at it or how willing you are to do the subject, if you want to start something new like Media Studies/Business? then its probably good to do some research on that subject so that you have a boost in that subject. Hope this helps and lets hope we have a good year 10

ReputationRep:
    It's official - I'm going to be doing Geography and Business!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    It's official - I'm going to be doing Geography and Business!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's great you've decided, how did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    That's great you've decided, how did you choose?
    I've always liked the idea of Business. A few friends are doing it too which will make it more fun. My brother has a GCSE in it and my dad has a degree in it, so they can help me if need be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.