Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and will start sixth form in September. I'm planning to take Biology, Geography, English Literature and Chemistry for AS, and then drop my weakest subject at A2 where I would then pick up EPQ.

However my school advised me to take 3 Alevels plus EPQ because my APS is only just high enough to take 4 Alevels (51) but I honestly don't know which one to drop because I love all 4 of them and I don't really know what I want to do career wise yet.

Another issue is if I do get high enough grades to take my 4 chosen subjects when I get my results in august is that my school is part of a link partnership which is where we travel to different schools to do Alevels if our options clash and to save the school money but for my combination to work I would need to go to 3 different schools and I think this would have a really negative on my grades.

What do you think I should do? Which one should I drop or should I try and stick to 4 and convince my school that I am capable and that it is in my best interests to do 4? Also what should I do about having to go to 3 different schools for my subjects? Has anyone else been put in this position and how did you overcome it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelimoo)
    I'm in year 11 and will start sixth form in September. I'm planning to take Biology, Geography, English Literature and Chemistry for AS, and then drop my weakest subject at A2 where I would then pick up EPQ.

However my school advised me to take 3 Alevels plus EPQ because my APS is only just high enough to take 4 Alevels (51) but I honestly don't know which one to drop because I love all 4 of them and I don't really know what I want to do career wise yet.

Another issue is if I do get high enough grades to take my 4 chosen subjects when I get my results in august is that my school is part of a link partnership which is where we travel to different schools to do Alevels if our options clash and to save the school money but for my combination to work I would need to go to 3 different schools and I think this would have a really negative on my grades.

What do you think I should do? Which one should I drop or should I try and stick to 4 and convince my school that I am capable and that it is in my best interests to do 4? Also what should I do about having to go to 3 different schools for my subjects? Has anyone else been put in this position and how did you overcome it?
    Firstly, requiring an average GCSE points score of 51 to take 4 AS levels is much harsher than my school (46) and plenty of people cope fine with 4, so don't think you can't. Many people find that the subject they thought was their 4th choice turns out to be much better than expected (but something else they hate) and they drop something unexpected for A2. You won't have this choice if you only do 3.

Secondly, 3 different schools sounds awkward - my school swaps with one other and that works OK most of the time but there are mismatches in mock weeks and special events that mean people do miss lessons, plus the support fragments a bit if you are having problems - transfer of info between the schools isn't brilliant. This can only be compounded by adding a third school and is one to avoid if you can.

You could just wait until results day and the choice may be made for you. If not, then what you should do depends a lot on your circumstances - e.g. how good are the links between schools

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.