Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just recently passed my driving test and like most young drivers I can't wait to be on the road. I can afford to buy a car but my insurance is coming in at 200£ a month which is pretty average for my area. The university I am looking to go to is 54 miles away so having a car would make it quicker, possibly cheaper (than paying bus and rail fares) and less stressful. However is it worth it. I mean 200£ is a lot.
    It has been suggested to me that I should offer to drop and pick people up for a small fare which would cover the costs of my petrol....would it be worthwhile if I did this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophus18x)
    I've just recently passed my driving test and like most young drivers I can't wait to be on the road. I can afford to buy a car but my insurance is coming in at 200£ a month which is pretty average for my area. The university I am looking to go to is 54 miles away so having a car would make it quicker, possibly cheaper (than paying bus and rail fares) and less stressful. However is it worth it. I mean 200£ is a lot.
    It has been suggested to me that I should offer to drop and pick people up for a small fare which would cover the costs of my petrol....would it be worthwhile if I did this?
    I really hope you're living at home and commuting to uni. Otherwise this is a non-argument.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm staying in halls at uni but I will be back home every few weekends as I have elderly grandparents that are in caring homes so I wish to see them as often as I can.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm staying in halls at uni but I will be back home every few weekends as I have elderly grandparents that are in caring homes so I wish to see them as often as I can.
    No-one visits home as often as they think they will before they get there. It's very unlikely you'll be using your car while at uni, and I mean at all, unless for example you're studying Medicine and have to make your way to far-away placements on a regular basis. You need to find out whether you'd even have anywhere to park your car at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, the immediate costs might be cheaper - ie petrol costing less than the train ticket, but it'll work out a lot more expensive when you take the other costs into account - tax, insurance, MOT, service, any extra maintenance...

I always rather enjoyed sitting on the train to travel between home and uni. It was a good chance to just sit and relax. Long drives are substantially more stressful...

ReputationRep:
    True. If that's the case then I'll forget the car and only get one if after being uni decide I need one. Just thought that if it was deemed worthwhile might as well get it sorted before I go. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and the train journey is only an hour home so it can't be that bad.
    Definitely seems right now to get a car after uni now. Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.