The Student Room Group

drop out/year off of uni to go on gap year to work abroad

Heyy all,

I've currently just finished my first year at uni studying a Spanish degree. My first year results weren't that good and I tried really hard so that is one of the main factors persuading me to drop out/take a year off. Also, I don't enjoy studying at all and I often feel depressed just being at uni and not travelling.

I know it's not a very good career, but I really want to work abroad as a holiday rep/animation team as I feel that would be perfect for me. I'd like to do it for a summer/year to get an idea of it then I would be able to make a decision about whether to stay working abroad or go back to university.

Right now, the only thing that makes me excited to go back to uni in the slightest is my society. Because if I don't go back to university in Sept and decide to work abroad then I will be gutted that I can't do my sport. However that is no reason at all to continue my degree if that is the only reason I want to be there.

Sorry for the long essay, I hope you all understand my situation well so you could give me some advice please - even if it's about how to get a job abroad as currently I have no idea.

Any advice, no matter how little would be extremely helpful!
Thanks!
Original post by hannabelle_
Heyy all,

I've currently just finished my first year at uni studying a Spanish degree. My first year results weren't that good and I tried really hard so that is one of the main factors persuading me to drop out/take a year off. Also, I don't enjoy studying at all and I often feel depressed just being at uni and not travelling.

I know it's not a very good career, but I really want to work abroad as a holiday rep/animation team as I feel that would be perfect for me. I'd like to do it for a summer/year to get an idea of it then I would be able to make a decision about whether to stay working abroad or go back to university.

Right now, the only thing that makes me excited to go back to uni in the slightest is my society. Because if I don't go back to university in Sept and decide to work abroad then I will be gutted that I can't do my sport. However that is no reason at all to continue my degree if that is the only reason I want to be there.

Sorry for the long essay, I hope you all understand my situation well so you could give me some advice please - even if it's about how to get a job abroad as currently I have no idea.

Any advice, no matter how little would be extremely helpful!
Thanks!

Could you maybe apply to the British Council and teach English in Spain?
But there's no point doing your degree if you're really unhappy about it, so I'd consider the year out :smile: Look at teaching English, as well as sites like Jobs Abroad Bulletin etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
A long stretch on the dole will help you become less depressed about studying or "not travelling"

You need to work to get the funds with which to play...or get to uni and use those funds and credit to play .. then go bankrupt .. FFS use your brain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have grown up in a rich society and we get this whining from you. Try see how the other 3/4 of the world lives.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest