Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am taking a gap year in which I would like to have a full time job in retail stores. I was wondering if it's possible to get a job with no work experience. I took a look at a few job offers and they all state they want relevant work experience which I don't have. Does that mean I would have to spend time volunteering at a charity shop or something? If so how much time do I need to spend and for how long?

Also what are some other things that will improve my chance of employment? What kind of extracurricular activities do employers look for Would having a blog/website help?

Lastly, do people lie on the CV about volunteering? If you have done so before did it go well?

ReputationRep:
    Just apply anyway.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HassanD)
    Very few employers ask for 'relevant work experience' as that would severely limit the applicant pool and there would never be any entry level jobs. However, employers do want the best employees they can get, so they will ask for, or be looking for relevant experience - which is quite different.

You can show relevant experience by having a clear idea of the skills the employer is looking for, then working out how you can transfer evidence from other aspects of your life, eg teamwork and leadership from playing in a sports team, retail work from YE etc

Don't lie on a CV - an employer can dismiss you instantly for lying on a CV, and then you are in a whole world more trouble in finding a job once you have been fired.

ReputationRep:
    I got a job in a shop recently with only my weeks work experience in school to go on

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't need experience for retail. If you really can't find a job, volunteer in a charity shop for the summer and then apply for jobs in September/October when there are more jobs available. Don't lie on your CV!

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I decided to volunteer in a charity shop for two weeks or so and then apply for jobs after the summer. Hopefully I will be successful, thanks for everyone's input.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.