The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mxcvii
Yesterday I was debating against UniOfLife and he was losing the debate and at the end when I basically won the debate he stopped posting and reported me for an "Offensive/Trolling" post. The reason he reported me was because I asked him "Are you an Idiot". remember I asked him, I never called him it. The reason I asked him was because apparently when he got crushed in the debate he replied something like "You ignored my points here" (Not the exact words but had the same meaning to what he replied) and then posted a link to a debate that he had with another user. Apparently he thought he hadn't lost the debate because I didn't reply to post he made to another member.

After the debate the posts were deleted where he got crushed in the debate. Good job UniOfLife your the best debater I've ever met.

I actually did not report your post, sorry. And those posts did not get deleted just merged into this thread. As to who won the debate that's really up to onlookers to decide not the participants.

Original post by MostUncivilised
It's a bit like being a lady; if you have to say you are one, you're not.

This comes to mind:

Superb post mate. The fact that the Islamo-fascists and ISIS supporters feel the need to avoid actually responding to you, and instead simply claiming they "won" the debate, speaks volumes about the quality of your posts and the absolute garbage that constitutes theirs

Thank you.

There are real and genuine grounds to be opposed to many of Israel's actions but those grounds are rarely explored. I can only suppose that the decision to oppose Israel is made first from a position of ignorance and thereafter it is determined that opposition based on its actual actions and policies would be far weaker than opposition based on lies, so the lies win.
Original post by mxcvii
Here comes his sidekick, funny how you didn't reply to the whole post.

:yawn: Really? Really?
Original post by UniOfLife
I actually did not report your post, sorry. And those posts did not get deleted just merged into this thread. As to who won the debate that's really up to onlookers to decide not the participants.

This. Anyone with a modicum of class and background might say, "Me? Win the debate? Well, that's for others to decide. I couldn't possibly comment".

One imagines tsr1269 isn't from... you know.. he's not one of us :wink: He doesn't get it.

He might be in for a few shocks in adult life in terms of how England works, socially speaking
This. Anyone with a modicum of class and background might say, "Me? Win the debate? Well, that's for others to decide. I couldn't possibly comment".

One imagines tsr1269 isn't from... you know.. he's not one of us :wink: He doesn't get it.

He might be in for a few shocks in adult life in terms of how England works, socially speaking

I wouldn't presume to comment on his background or indeed yours. He may be an adult already for all I know. But his behaviour and that of others suggests that he's an argumentative teen who cannot admit to being wrong and after a while just argues for the sake of arguing. Whether or not he's an adult he seems to act like a teenager.
Original post by UniOfLife
I wouldn't presume to comment on his background or indeed yours. He may be an adult already for all I know. But his behaviour and that of others suggests that he's an argumentative teen who cannot admit to being wrong and after a while just argues for the sake of arguing. Whether or not he's an adult he seems to act like a teenager.
Yes I am a teen is there anything wrong with that, last time I checked this was the "student" room. What do you mean I can't admit defeat, yesterday you got crushed and then stopped posting. Like somebody said yesterday you've been crushed many times on this thread. It's also funny how your sidekick has to reply to everything when I quote and reply to you on something. Tell him to go away or can't you debate by yourself
Original post by mxcvii
Yes I am a teen is there anything wrong with that, last time I checked this was the "student" room.

Which includes postgraduate and PhD students. What are you, a GCSE student? That's undoubtedly the level of debate you're at

What do you mean I can't admit defeat, yesterday you got crushed and then stopped posting. Like somebody said yesterday

Wasn't it you that said that? Either way, making a claim on your own behalf is considered rather gauche in English society. Just a friendly tip for you, you'll find it useful when you enter adult society and start dealing with... ahem, people from other backgrounds

It's also funny how your sidekick

Feeling the heat? That's okay babe :wink: I understand
Original post by mxcvii
Yes I am a teen is there anything wrong with that, last time I checked this was the "student" room. What do you mean I can't admit defeat, yesterday you got crushed and then stopped posting. Like somebody said yesterday you've been crushed many times on this thread. It's also funny how your sidekick has to reply to everything when I quote and reply to you on something. Tell him to go away or can't you debate by yourself

There's nothing wrong with being a teen, I was merely describing your behaviour. As for my "sidekick" he is about as under my control as the media is under Zionists'. Make of that what you will.
Which includes postgraduate and PhD students. What are you, a GCSE student? That's undoubtedly the level of debate you're at

And it takes a 2 guys to debate this "GCSE" level student, of course ones the sidekick

Wasn't it you that said that? Either way, making a claim on your own behalf is considered rather gauche in English society. Just a friendly tip for you, you'll find it useful when you enter adult society and start dealing with... ahem, people from other backgrounds

I said it after somebody else said it. Aren't you the one that's been making all these claim.

Feeling the heat? That's okay babe :wink: I understand

Funny how you missed the rest of my post out, I take it that you agree that he cant debate by himself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mxcvii
And it takes a 2 guys to debate this "GCSE" level student

I think you're having delusions of grandeur. But that's cool, I'll wait for you to actually debate by responding to UniofLife's points before taking your claim seriously.

I said it after somebody else said it

So you're repeating your own, self-serving claim, and ascribing it to someone else, and expecting people to take you seriously? Haha, that's cool :wink:

I take it that you agree that he cant debate by himself

Given you prefer these side skirmishes to actually addressing the points he's made, I rather think you're the one who can't debate
Confidence boosters

Err, I'm not sure why you felt the need to plaster my name all over your post but if you are attempting to indicate that I am always on your thoughts at all time, then I'm flattered! Truly. :tongue:

I wish I could return the compliment but unfortunately, the reverse just isn't the same. However, I did want to say, in response to your post (which seems to have been mistakenly aimed at me), that the manner and form in which those on "other side", so to speak, cannot refrain from giving each other "confidence boosters" to constantly but erroneously reassure themselves that they are "right", is just so terribly amusing

Keep it up guys! :wink:
Original post by tsr1269
Err, I'm not sure why you felt the need to plaster my name all over your post

By which you mean to say, "You mentioned my name once". I know that given you're not married yet, it feels very good when someone mentions your name, but try not to overplay it.

And on the substantive (relatively speaking) issue, you and mcxxxvvviiiiiii1111!!111 are so insubstantial that you literally blend into one another. Neither of you have made any particular impression on me beyond, "Shrieky, hysterical pro-Hamas user" so I thought you were the same person
Ithink you're ng delusions of grandeur. But that's cool, I'll wait for you to actually debate by responding to UniofLife's points before taking your claim seriously.

Which post didn't I respond to? He's the one that made a fool of himself yesterday after saying claiming I didn't reply to his post which was directed at another member. Then
all of a sudden he disappears without posting any replies to me-

So you're repeating your own, self-serving claim, and ascribing it to someone else, and expecting people to take you seriously? Haha, that's cool :wink:

Its a fact

Given you prefer these side skirmishes to actually addressing the points he's made, I rather think you're the one who can't debate

Which points exactly? Arent you 2 ganging up on someone who cant debate
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Huskaris
I also ponder this, do you think (as I do) that it might be because we actually don't expect Muslim nations/factions to have any real standards, Israel on the other hand is basically a Western democracy dropped in the Middle East, and as such we expect higher standards from them?

I think that's probably it to be honest, and it doesn't make it right at all, but I just think we don't expect anything of Muslim nations. They've killed each other over nothing for thousands of years and they will continue to do so for thousands more, because a book means more to them than other lives.

I totally take your point. More is expected of a Western democracy.

But the people who are making the most of this, the Muslim community, don't expect more. Many of them hate the West, they think we are all bastards who just want to drink the blood of Muslim children.

Thus, one can detect a degree of hypocrisy in the level of attention they pay to Israeli "crimes". Personally, I have no doubt that you are more than sincere on this subject. My concern is about the 420 million Arabs and 1.1 billion Muslims (as opposed to 16 million Jews, of which 6 million are in Israel) that they are being disingenuous in their criticism and shrieks of "genocide"
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

Though I am sure there's a culture of Arab-hating in the IDF, due to various reason.

And what do you think the culture is in Hamas? Do you think it's "We only hate Israeli soldiers, not all Jews. And we totally accept anyone, no matter what their sexuality".

Do you think that's the culture in Hamas?
And what do you think the culture is in Hamas? Do you think it's "We only hate Israeli soldiers, not all Jews. And we totally accept anyone, no matter what their sexuality".

Do you think that's the culture in Hamas?

Ahhh, here we have the classic and ubiquitous squirming "rebuttal" given by those of the pro-Zionist leaning, the "whataboutery"....

So cliched...
Original post by tsr1269
Ahhh, here we have the classic and ubiquitous squirming "rebuttal" given by those of the pro-Zionist leaning, the "whataboutery"....

So cliched...

By "whataboutery", you mean "Don't compare like with like". (apples with apples)

I'm not sure if you've been to university yet, but comparing "like with like" is the basis of sociological, social and political comparison.
I totally take your point. More is expected of a Western democracy.

But the people who are making the most of this, the Muslim community, don't expect more. Many of them hate the West, they think we are all bastards who just want to drink the blood of Muslim children.

Thus, one can detect a degree of hypocrisy in the level of attention they pay to Israeli "crimes". Personally, I have no doubt that you are more than sincere on this subject. My concern is about the 420 million Arabs and 1.1 billion Muslims (as opposed to 16 million Jews, of which 6 million are in Israel) that they are being disingenuous in their criticism and shrieks of "genocide"

I understand the hypocrisy of course but this whole " war on terror" as the west calls its constant wars in Islamic countries can only fall under "war on terror" and thus retain the support of the western public if we are 100% sure we are morally superior. Therefore the second we lower ourselves to "their" standards we in the eyes of many, become as bad as them and are no longer fighting a just war. The brutality that one British soldier commits will be shouted about more, even by many of the British public, than the cold blooded execution of a British man, purely because we are "superior" and expect ourselves to be better than them.

Its a fight the west has to fight, but in PR times its a fight it has to to be fought a certain way. Israel, rightly or wrongly, didn't get that memo and as such is exceptionally unpopular with western democracies.

As for shrieks of genocide, those people are ridiculous, Hamas would commit genocide on all Jews on earth ttomorrow if you put the button in front of them and turned your back.
Yup, the top brass of the IDF are naive idiots.

Wow, this selective quoting is so great. I'm glad you agree with me.
Original post by Huskaris
Therefore the second we lower ourselves to "their" standards we in the eyes of many, become as bad as them and are no longer fighting a just war.

I would agree with you if it were Britain bombing Gaza, but it's not. The Jews are just like any other Middle Eastern tribe, just with better weapons. And they behave like it. I don't fault them for it, particularly given within their own country, they behave quite civilly

Its a fight the west has to fight, but in PR times its a fight it has to to be fought a certain way. Israel, rightly or wrongly, didn't get that memo and as such is exceptionally unpopular with western democracies.

The things is, I totally agree that this is basically tribal warfare with modern weapons. But that is what the Middle East is like. And the fact is, the Jews are really good at this game. Better than the Arabs. Unlike the Western world. they have agents who can go into Arab/Palestinian cities and speak the language and pretend to be them. They turn Arabs by the thousands to act as informants. The Jews know how to play the Middle East game. Applying Western morality to it is futile, it's a completely different world.

Yes, Israel acts like a modern democracy in the sense that they give their Arabs full civil and voting rights, they treat gay people well, women have full equal opportunities. But on the military side of things, they say "**** it, we are in the Middle East, and we're going to act like it". Personally, I can't fault them for that

As for shrieks of genocide, those people are ridiculous, Hamas would commit genocide on all Jews on earth ttomorrow if you put the button in front of them and turned your back

I completely agree. And I think the opposite does not apply given there are 1.6 million Arabs in Israel that the Jews could have easily wiped out, but they are not barbarians. They hate what this conflict is doing to them, they hate that this conflict is making them harsh, that it hardens their hearts. They despise the deadening of their moral senses it has. But to be honest, I think the Palestinians have contributed to that
Original post by Jammy Duel
Wow, this selective quoting is so great. I'm glad you agree with me.

And I'm glad you felt so threatened by my response, so paralysed by it, that you couldn't produce a retort

Latest

Trending

Trending