The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tsr1269
It had borders, did it not?

Poor argument bordering on denial.

It had borders in the same way the Hindu Kush or Norfolk has borders, doesn't mean either of these places are countries
Original post by The Right
To prove a point really, but one thing we have learnt from you is your hatred towards Israel and the Jews does stem from what they have done but from what you are taught as every Muslim I have ever known hates Jews so clearly this is a cultural thing.

I have shown no hatred towards the SS and you'd be hard pressed to find any.

In fact, let me be clear and state that I would have no problem with a Jewish State.
Original post by yo radical one
It had borders in the same way the Hindu Kush or Norfolk has borders, doesn't mean either of these places are countries

I don't understand why you are denying that Mandatory Palestine was a country.
Original post by tsr1269
I don't understand why you are denying that Mandatory Palestine was a country.

Because it wasn't :dunce:
Because it wasn't :dunce:

If it wasn't a country, what was it?
Aerial destruction of Gaza:

Original post by tsr1269
I have shown no hatred towards the SS and you'd be hard pressed to find any.

In fact, let me be clear and state that I would have no problem with a Jewish State.

You have argued against Israel's offensive yet given next to no input on the ISIS development. You blame every barbaric action that is committed by Muslims on the western intervention, western policies, WW2, Israel and I imagine the holy wars comes somewhere in there. Never would you accept the responsibility of these scum as a member of Islam. Typical response is "they are not Muslim". So once a Muslim commits an act they are no longer Muslim and so not the responsibility of the Islamic world.

Never did you consider Hamas and the threat they posed. Yes Israel were bombing and yes there was a blockade but you never took a step back to think why or at least understand why.

Now a clear racist who has been up the *** of his predominately Muslim electorate so decides to to tarnish an entire race for the actions of Netanyahu and the IDF. You need to start wondering why the rest of us act as we do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tsr1269
If it wasn't a country, what was it?

A geopolitical entity

I could ask you a similar question, if Norfolk isn't a country what is it?

Answer: A county

My point being that not everything which exists is a country (should sound obvious to the point of being patronising)
Original post by The Right
You have argued against Israel's offensive yet given next to no input on the ISIS development. You blame every barbaric action that is committed by Muslims on the western intervention, western policies, WW2 Israel and I imagine the holy wars comes somewhere in there. Never would you accept the responsibility of these scum as a member of Islam. Typical response is "they are not Muslim". So once a Muslim commits an act they are no longer Muslim and so not the responsibility of the Islamic world.

Have we met before? Could you show me where I have stated these things that you have claimed that I have stated?

Never did you consider Hamas and the threat they posed. Yes Israel were bombing and yes there was a blockade but you never took a step back to think why or at least understand why.

Didn't I? See my excellent analysis in the Israel/Palestine Conflict thread.

Now a clear racist who has been up the *** of his predominately Muslim electorate so decides to to tarnish an entire race for the actions of Netanyahu and the IDF. You need to start wondering why the rest of us act as we do.

I take it you don't support the IDF? You could have fooled me...:rolleyes:
Original post by tsr1269
I genuinely do not know which "country" you are referring to.

Out of which country, do the Palestine's want to carve out their state?

You defined a country as "the territory of a nation/state". This is somewhat vague and I understood it to mean that a country is any area of land controlled by a nation or state. Is that what you intended? Help me out here by tightening your definition so that we can usefully discuss it.
Original post by Malorys ballsack
Lol at you lot not realising it had another meaning. Galloway is playing on the anti-Semitism of his Muslim constituents the fact he's even an MP should demonstrate how nutty these people are.

Yes Israel is a Jewish state but it is not anti-Semitic to say you don't like Israel.
A geopolitical entity

I could ask you a similar question, if Norfolk isn't a country what is it?

Answer: A county

My point being that not everything which exists is a country (should sound obvious to the point of being patronising)

:facepalm:

Mandatory Palestine being a geopolitical entity does not mean that it cannot be a county, city or a country.

But it seems you want to go about this in a roundabout way so I'll oblige:

What kind of geopolitical entity is it?
Original post by UniOfLife
You defined a country as "the territory of a nation/state". This is somewhat vague and I understood it to mean that a country is any area of land controlled by a nation or state. Is that what you intended? Help me out here by tightening your definition so that we can usefully discuss it.

Listen man, just state the country and whatever arguments you want to put forward and we'll work with them together.

As I've indicated to you before on that little challenge you gave me, I'm happy to be flexible...
Original post by tsr1269
:facepalm:

Mandatory Palestine being a geopolitical entity does not mean that it cannot be a county, city or a country.

But it seems you want to go about this in a roundabout way so I'll oblige:

What kind of geopolitical entity is it?

A mandate (that is what it would have been) hence Mandatory Palestine
A mandate (that is what it would have been) hence Mandatory Palestine

That seems reasonable. And I suppose this (Mandatory Palestine) was the under the purview of the predecessor to the UN, the League of Nations, correct?
Original post by tsr1269
Listen man, just state the country and whatever arguments you want to put forward and we'll work with them together.

As I've indicated to you before on that little challenge you gave me, I'm happy to be flexible...

Using the generally understood definition of the word, the Palestinians (at least some of them) want a State from land that is not currently part of any country. Using that same definition Israel was formed out of land that was not part of any country.

But you seemed to disagree with the second sentence above which indicates that you have a different definition of the word "country" such that somehow the British Mandate becomes a country. According to that definition it would seem more than likely that the land the Palestinians want for their state would come from the country of Israel. But since you seem incredibly reluctant to provide a usable definition I can only speculate.
Original post by tsr1269
That seems reasonable. And I suppose this (Mandatory Palestine) was the under the purview of the predecessor to the UN, the League of Nations, correct?

Yes this is correct.
Yes this is correct.

But then this doesn't make sense:

"A League of Nations mandate was a legal status for certain territories transferred from the control of one country to another following World War I"

If it was a mandate and not a country as you are claiming, then why did they write "country"?:confused:
Original post by UniOfLife
Using the generally understood definition of the word, the Palestinians (at least some of them) want a State from land that is not currently part of any country. Using that same definition Israel was formed out of land that was not part of any country.

How so?

But you seemed to disagree with the second sentence above which indicates that you have a different definition of the word "country" such that somehow the British Mandate becomes a country. According to that definition it would seem more than likely that the land the Palestinians want for their state would come from the country of Israel. But since you seem incredibly reluctant to provide a usable definition I can only speculate.

I don't understand what is so difficult about this.

British Mandate formed. British Mandate dissolved. Borders formed and this now includes Jordan and the SS.

From whose country are the Palestinians demanding a state from?

It can't be the SS because that has borders, it can't be Jordon because that has borders and it can't be Mandatory Palestine because that entity has been extinguished.

So I ask again, from whose country are the Palestinians demanding a state from?
Original post by tsr1269
But then this doesn't make sense:

"A League of Nations mandate was a legal status for certain territories transferred from the control of one country to another following World War I"

If it was a mandate and not a country as you are claiming, then why did they write "country"?:confused:

Because it was a system for territories to be transferred from the control of one country to another

The territory was "Palestine", the country it was transferred from was the Ottoman Empire and the country it was transferred to, was the British Empire.

Latest

Trending

Trending