Report Thread starter 13 years ago
-edited-
Last edited by matrah; 6 months ago
belafron
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm you don't happen to be Mr Hanley by any chance do you?! First of all I think I had better explain what "matrah" means about STYC's. A STYC is a Second/Third Year Contact and is a volunteer second/third year who volunteers with their JCRC (Junior Common Room Committee) Welfare to help look after freshers in their first couple of weeks and takes them around the JCRC organised events in Freshers Fortnight. In this case, Goodricke which is going to have an awesome programme of events for you lucky people who hapen to be out into the best college in York. When you know you are in Goodricke, head over to www.goodricke.co.uk
Where you will find information about the college and a forum for getting to know people before you arrive. You will also find a few memebers of the JCRC lurking around (including yours truly[mike_01])who would be willing to help you with any queries you have before you arrive.
Anthony Arundel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How soon do you get told? I only received my application pack this morning - surely there's no way anyone can know already, what with results day only being last Thursday! :confused: I'm about to send it off.
belafron
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No-one will know yet for a couple of weeks don't worry!
eth0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If I remember correctly, last year, we received our confirmations in mid-September.
laser
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes. It's 3 weeks before you move in, iirc.
KerriT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So we have another month to wait? I just sent off my accommodation for today. Oh well, to be honest I'm impressed that the university can organise accommodation for 2000 students in 2 weeks.
sophieD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i was waiting ages last yr and didnt hear till like 2 weeks before i went. seriously it doesnt matter where you get.
xlucyx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ive put standard college room as first choice, ensuite as second choice, and fairfax house as third, and 33/34week let (i really want to be in one of the older colleges, so thought that might help!)obv don't really know as i haven't seen the rooms etc, but from what I've heard, I think I'd like to be in goodricke or vanbrugh
KerriT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've asked for a 38 week let with ensuite first choice, standard college room second choice and fairfax house third choice.
laser
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Woah, someone who'd like to be in Goodricke :O

I've heard rumours that due to new fire regulations, Goodricke kitchens are being downgraded to "microwave pantries".
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Only 1 - D block I think. Not totally sure about that. The Goodricke website has a thread about that in the forum area.
Goodrickers with Mat as your STYC - you're very lucky!
happyslacker
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know this might sound weird but I really want to be in Goodricke, I couldn't care about the so-called awful accommodation to be honest. (I've been to visit the C block, it's really not that bad!) The college sounds super fun Anyone have any ideas what I should put on my form so I can end up there?
xlucyx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
that's the same as me, i'd rather have a fun college with rubbish rooms and don't really want ensuite, as i've heard they can be less sociable...
i thought putting standard room with 33week let would be the best way of getting one, but obv don't know what i'll be given.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think whether you have an ensuite or not will affect how 'social' your corridor is whatsoever. You don't necessarily make the friends of your life just because you happen to use the same ****ter, and if you are going to get on with the people you're living with, you'll do so, with ensuites or not.
laser
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Personally I think that it'd work against you being in Goodricke for being social. I was in Alcuin last year and the large kitchens became a focal point for social things, whereas in the older colleges you don't have that luxury.
KerriT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I applied for ensuite basically because I want a big kitchen, I think it is sociable and I don't know what I'd do without an oven.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by laser)
Personally I think that it'd work against you being in Goodricke for being social. I was in Alcuin last year and the large kitchens became a focal point for social things, whereas in the older colleges you don't have that luxury.
Although, in the older colleges, the security basically consists of one combination lock which anyone will tell you the code to, and then you've got access to the entire college's accommodation. The newer accommodation's security is far better, so you can only actually stroll on to your actual corridor, and have to be let in everywhere else.

This means that you're much less likely to have people you don't actually live with walking through your kitchen at various points in the day. Although chances are you will hate them and want them to die from colonic cancer anyway, so that may not be a problem.
SunburnedCactus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
One time a random Chinese man walked into our kitchen and took our microwave. When he returned a few hours later he said he had "borrowed it for a party". Interesting.
xlucyx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is there a similar amount of people on each corridor in all the colleges?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed