Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am Pharmaceutical Science (MPharmSci) student and I have just finished my first year. Initially I had applied to do Pharmacy but my grades weren't high enough so I was given the opportunity to do this course. This year I have achieved 70% overall which means I can transfer to Pharmacy if I want to. But the thing is, I am unsure what to do right now. Will it be better to transfer to Pharmacy or carry on studying Pharmaceutical Science? Which course is better in terms of getting a really good job? And also which one is better in terms of actually get a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nanthini)
    I am Pharmaceutical Science (MPharmSci) student and I have just finished my first year. Initially I had applied to do Pharmacy but my grades weren't high enough so I was given the opportunity to do this course. This year I have achieved 70% overall which means I can transfer to Pharmacy if I want to. But the thing is, I am unsure what to do right now. Will it be better to transfer to Pharmacy or carry on studying Pharmaceutical Science? Which course is better in terms of getting a really good job? And also which one is better in terms of actually get a job?
    Studying pharmacy would be better in terms of employment prospects: pharmacists can work in the industry / academia as pharmaceutical scientists, but pharmaceutical scientists cannot work as pharmacists without an MPharm (or equivalent) degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I was told (I just transfered but I was doing BSC in PCS)
    That in Pharmacy the job at the end of the degree is better for employment prospects and job security, however with PCS employability is much harder to get into because your against Chemistry BioChemists and the whole lot of them so its usually harder but if you do land yourself a job with this degree you can be earning more... But again it is unlikely so I'd transfer Pharmacy has still more options and is more accredited.

I was once in a lab and the technician who was doing his Masters in Chemistry told me people who do Pharmaceuticals are at the bottom of the chain and biologists, chemists, biochemists, biological sciences etc are all above. This of course scared the life out of me and may or may not be true..

ReputationRep:
    I have just transferred after doing 2 years, yes 2 years! (my university admissions process is unique) of Applied chemical and pharmaceutical sciences BSc to pharmacy last week. I've looked a bit into both courses and where they lead as I had to choose.. I'm really with what these people are saying. I'm sure you could easily transfer with that score and also admissions really respected that I had originally applied for pharmacy and had relevant work exp. etc.

I think you really have to be confident in your skills and abilities as people do stay on the course and get sandwich placements but they do further education and know they are something special to go onto phDs etc and be successful to work upwards in the chemical / pharma industries. There's nothing wrong with being a dam good BSc analyst, you can go far but its just much less guaranteed. For example, people who have got 2:1 minimum even some 2:2 BSc and done a placement I have been told about have started in quality and worked their way up to quality lab manager for a company, even qualified person (QP) which is incredible responsibility and therefore a huge pay check. If you stay on the course I cant emphasise enough to get a placement if you can ! So valuable. If you don't get a placement then straight chem / biochem / biomed science students etc. will be competing with you and there's a lot of different science grads out there. Saying that though, your current course looks more academic than mine was from the sounds of it if its a masters.

However if you can handle the MPharm and can get a 2:1 when you are qualified there are many options in industry, I think for industry they like you to do well and you can even be a qualified person very fast (QP) in industry and other regulatory jobs or management positions, obviously there's still hospital / community /academic pharmacy open to you from what I have heard they're not as bothered about your grade. Personally, I had a placement job lined up as part of the sandwich course but I always liked the idea of a pharmacist as you can be part of the healthcare team.. more people oriented rather than pure science / math / analysis and lab teams / lab reports which can be social but not as much. It just depends on the person like my lecturers say, they were always confident that really successful people come out of the BSc and go far.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.