Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it easy to become a hospital pharmacist? How is the job different to a community pharmacist?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

With regards to getting into hospital pharmacy, the best way to achieve this is to gain as much experience and as many placements as possible. This will help you have more to talk about when applying for a hospital pharmacy job. The pre registration application to hospitals is competitive but it's just a case of making yourself stand out as much as possible via experience, extra curricular activites etc.

Hospital pharmacy is much more clinical than Community pharmacy from what i have seen, you spend time on the wards screening drug charts and talking to patients (although there is still dispensing to be done in the hospital dispensary) where as Community pharmacy is mainly in the dispensary in a pharmacy, although the pharmacist is becoming more and more involved with services such as counselling as time goes on. Both hospital and community have their own appeal and are both rewarding, it just depends on what you see yourself doing in the future .

Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nanthini)
    Is it easy to become a hospital pharmacist? How is the job different to a community pharmacist?
    No, there are very few places for junior pharmacists relative to community (retail) pharmacists. It is very different; I've uploaded the job description of a typical Band 6 Pharmacist post (1 year post-graduation).

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docHospital.doc (44.0 KB, 155 views)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand Pepito)
    Hi there,

With regards to getting into hospital pharmacy, the best way to achieve this is to gain as much experience and as many placements as possible. This will help you have more to talk about when applying for a hospital pharmacy job. The pre registration application to hospitals is competitive but it's just a case of making yourself stand out as much as possible via experience, extra curricular activites etc.

Hospital pharmacy is much more clinical than Community pharmacy from what i have seen, you spend time on the wards screening drug charts and talking to patients (although there is still dispensing to be done in the hospital dispensary) where as Community pharmacy is mainly in the dispensary in a pharmacy, although the pharmacist is becoming more and more involved with services such as counselling as time goes on. Both hospital and community have their own appeal and are both rewarding, it just depends on what you see yourself doing in the future .

Hope this helped!
    Have you done any placements in the hospital?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuaib786)
    Have you done any placements in the hospital?
    I have indeed, most hospitals will advertise summer placements so i'd definitely advise applying to them if you can.

ReputationRep:
    I have indeed, most hospitals will advertise summer placements so i'd definitely advise applying to them if you can.
    Hi. Thank you so much for your help. I also wanted ask do hospital pharmacists work really long hours? Is it possible that they can be called by the hospital during night time?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Thank you so much for your help. I also wanted ask do hospital pharmacists work really long hours? Is it possible that they can be called by the hospital during night time?
    No problem . It can vary from trust to trust but yes some trusts do require pharmacists to work nights on some weeks etc but from my experience it's less common compared to Doctors, for example. That being said, as a general rule (from what I have seen), it definitely varies depending on where you work.

ReputationRep:
    Mist hospital pharmacies operate from 08.30 to 1700, though there'll usually be a late rota of people who start and finish later to make sure all the work gets finished at the end of the day. However a lot of trusts are introducing 7 day working for pharmacy, with extended opening hours so you may have to work into the evenings.

Basically all junior pharmacists are expected to go onto the on call rota, unless there's good reason you can't! Depends where you work, and how big the on-call team is, but you might have 2-3 on-calls a month, or you might get a week of on-calls at a time.
    On-call is always made out to be worse than it is, most calls happen before midnight, though occasionally you will get called after midnight. Think my latest finish was 3 am, though that was my own fault!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem . It can vary from trust to trust but yes some trusts do require pharmacists to work nights on some weeks etc but from my experience it's less common compared to Doctors, for example. That being said, as a general rule (from what I have seen), it definitely varies depending on where you work.
    How often does a hospital pharmacist go around checking the wards? Do they stay in the dispensary most of the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rx_Sarcasm)
    Mist hospital pharmacies operate from 08.30 to 1700, though there'll usually be a late rota of people who start and finish later to make sure all the work gets finished at the end of the day. However a lot of trusts are introducing 7 day working for pharmacy, with extended opening hours so you may have to work into the evenings.

Basically all junior pharmacists are expected to go onto the on call rota, unless there's good reason you can't! Depends where you work, and how big the on-call team is, but you might have 2-3 on-calls a month, or you might get a week of on-calls at a time.
    On-call is always made out to be worse than it is, most calls happen before midnight, though occasionally you will get called after midnight. Think my latest finish was 3 am, though that was my own fault!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi. Thanks a lot for your help. I was also wondering...how often does a hospital pharmacist go around checking the wards? Do they stay in the dispensary most of the time?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Thanks a lot for your help. I was also wondering...how often does a hospital pharmacist go around checking the wards? Do they stay in the dispensary most of the time?
    Again it depends on the hospital, their staffing level, and who organises the rota.
    I've worked at a hospital where I only had two afternoon dispensary shifts a week, and the rest of the time was clinical/ward time. I also have a friend who has a shift in dispensary on most days of the week, so it can certainly vary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alright which hospitals did you do your placements at?
    Any advice whilst applying via CV's, application forms and interviews
    What experience and extra circular did you do whilst applying?

Sorry for the questions, if you dont mind me asking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.