Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm sixteen and found a lump on both sides of breasts, I went to doc but... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'll try keep this short. Back in December time I found a lump on the side of my right breast it was more on my armpit, you can't see it at all but you can feel it. About a month after I found another one my left breast exactly the same place. So I went to the doc and they did loads of tests, blood test, heart rate test, physical examination and a chest x-ray. Even though they all came back good and the doc said there's really nothing to worry about these tests didn't clarify anything.

These lumps are movable, sometimes they are painful but sometimes they are not, Once a month (NOT around my period time) they get really painful and my WHOLE chest hurts. Oh and they change size, One thing I've noticed is that they are lumps but they trail off to like a line down my breast if that makes sense. Has anyone experienced this? I'm SO worried.

Of course i'll be seeing the doc soon but I wanted to know has anyone else had this prob, and what do you think it is?

ReputationRep:
    Could be swollen lymph nodes:

http://www.medicinenet.com/swollen_l...odes/page4.htm

Not sure. I'd say you did a good thing going straight to the doctor. Just keep persisting until they have an answer for you - it might be a nuisance for them, but it's what they're paid for, so don't worry about it. The NHS were thinking about implementing a penalty for doctors who miss early signs of cancer - for that to be considered, it must happen occasionally.

Don't get me wrong, it's almost certainly not if you had all those tests done - but it'd definitely be a good idea to get to the bottom of what it is, as opposed to "it's not cancer..but we don't know what it is..."

Keep the forum updated when you find out, could be useful information for others - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odkfn)
    Could be swollen lymph nodes:

http://www.medicinenet.com/swollen_l...odes/page4.htm

Not sure. I'd say you did a good thing going straight to the doctor. Just keep persisting until they have an answer for you - it might be a nuisance for them, but it's what they're paid for, so don't worry about it. The NHS were thinking about implementing a penalty for doctors who miss early signs of cancer - for that to be considered, it must happen occasionally.

Don't get me wrong, it's almost certainly not if you had all those tests done - but it'd definitely be a good idea to get to the bottom of what it is, as opposed to "it's not cancer..but we don't know what it is..."

Keep the forum updated when you find out, could be useful information for others - good luck!
    I'll just keep bugging them. I've had it since December and in that time until now I've only went to two proper appointments but I can't decide when I have an appointment as it's with the main hospital. But tanx for the advice, and I will keep this thread updated

ReputationRep:
    Moved to health :h:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tj_321)
    Hello, I'll try keep this short. Back in December time I found a lump on the side of my right breast it was more on my armpit, you can't see it at all but you can feel it. About a month after I found another one my left breast exactly the same place. So I went to the doc and they did loads of tests, blood test, heart rate test, physical examination and a chest x-ray. Even though they all came back good and the doc said there's really nothing to worry about these tests didn't clarify anything.

These lumps are movable, sometimes they are painful but sometimes they are not, Once a month (NOT around my period time) they get really painful and my WHOLE chest hurts. Oh and they change size, One thing I've noticed is that they are lumps but they trail off to like a line down my breast if that makes sense. Has anyone experienced this? I'm SO worried.

Of course i'll be seeing the doc soon but I wanted to know has anyone else had this prob, and what do you think it is?
    Generally speaking, lumps that cause pain, and change in size (particularly if it's cyclical - doesn't have to be during a period!) are simply benign breast tissue that just responds to hormonal changes in your body. Added to that, the fact that you have them on both breasts, the fact that you're only 16 and that your doctor is not concerned especially following a whole bunch of tests means that you should just be reassured that there isn't anything serious going on. By all means, if you are worried you should of course talk to your GP, but you don't need to bug them, they can help and reassure you better than anyone on here can.

As always, if things do change, worsen or you notice anything else, go see your doc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Moved to health :h:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Generally speaking, lumps that cause pain, and change in size (particularly if it's cyclical - doesn't have to be during a period!) are simply benign breast tissue that just responds to hormonal changes in your body. Added to that, the fact that you have them on both breasts, the fact that you're only 16 and that your doctor is not concerned especially following a whole bunch of tests means that you should just be reassured that there isn't anything serious going on. By all means, if you are worried you should of course talk to your GP, but you don't need to bug them, they can help and reassure you better than anyone on here can.

As always, if things do change, worsen or you notice anything else, go see your doc!
    Thanks so much for your advice and reassurance, much appreciated!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.