Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi am current studying at university about to start my third year. At college I didnt do as well as I could and only managed to get 120 UCAS points in A-Levels (I know its bad
    However I managed to be accepted at a good university and decided to turn things around and worked hard everyday. I managed to get 80% in my 2nd year and if I carry on working hard in my third year, will predict a 1st degree in Bsc Accounting.

To the point, Would it be possible for me to join one of the big 4 (Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, EY) working for them whilst preparing for the ACA qualification. Their website states you'll need minimum 280 ucas and 2.1 degree therefore has anyone managed to join with less than the minimum or have any advice.
    Also Audit and corporate finance are my strong points in accounting therefore which one do you believe is a better career opportunity and which firm is the best in offering that.

Sorry for the long post but would be greatly appreciated for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately if big 4 is your goal, you are going to have to qualify elsewhere and then move over as an experienced hire. Graduate scheme is not going to happen.

I suggest you try to secure an internship somewhere small, after graduating apply for training contracts at some smaller companies or accounting practices. once you qualify, jump ship to big (if you still want to at that point).

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure that you meet the ICAEW's entry requirements with only 120 UCAS points, I thought it was 160 (stated as at least 2 A-Levels at C grade and above). Potentially having a degree negates that these days, but worth checking with the institute.

Realistically, unless you have good extenuating circumstances, you are unlikely to find a training provider asking for less than 240 UCAS points. There may be one or two who will feel your degree negates your A-Levels but I don't know of any.

I think your best bet will be to do ACCA or CIMA in industry and then try to get into practice and convert to ICAEW as an experienced hire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AW1983)
    I'm not entirely sure that you meet the ICAEW's entry requirements with only 120 UCAS points, I thought it was 160 (stated as at least 2 A-Levels at C grade and above). Potentially having a degree negates that these days, but worth checking with the institute.

Realistically, unless you have good extenuating circumstances, you are unlikely to find a training provider asking for less than 240 UCAS points. There may be one or two who will feel your degree negates your A-Levels but I don't know of any.

I think your best bet will be to do ACCA or CIMA in industry and then try to get into practice and convert to ICAEW as an experienced hire.

Yh thanks for the advice, I'll contact ICAEW and ask them about it. If I am not eligible to join, i'll join ACCA as they dont take UCAS points into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idris987123)
    Yh thanks for the advice, I'll contact ICAEW and ask them about it. If I am not eligible to join, i'll join ACCA as they dont take UCAS points into consideration.
    Actually they do, but their requirements are lower. Two A-Levels at Grade E or equivalent plus three GCSEs A-C including Mathematics and English.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.