Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

sony vaio being generally useless after system restore Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey, i have a newish sony vaio windows 8 laptop, which is generally great, but yesterday was being entirely unresponsive, blank screen, wouldnt turn on. I pressed the assist button, and it suggested i 'refresh' my laptop, assuring me i would lose no files. so i did. stupid me. it uninstalled everything including my antivirus (yeah i probably should have known but ive learnt my lesson now)
    anyway i did a system restore to restore the computer to how it was on 10/7/14. everything now looks great and is how i left it, except if i click on any files they wont open. same goes for any programs or even google chrome - ill click the logo and they act like theyre loading for a second but then nothing pops up. what should i do?? any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmergencyBagels)
    hey, i have a newish sony vaio windows 8 laptop, which is generally great, but yesterday was being entirely unresponsive, blank screen, wouldnt turn on. I pressed the assist button, and it suggested i 'refresh' my laptop, assuring me i would lose no files. so i did. stupid me. it uninstalled everything including my antivirus (yeah i probably should have known but ive learnt my lesson now)
    anyway i did a system restore to restore the computer to how it was on 10/7/14. everything now looks great and is how i left it, except if i click on any files they wont open. same goes for any programs or even google chrome - ill click the logo and they act like theyre loading for a second but then nothing pops up. what should i do?? any advice?

If you copy them off onto a USB and open them on another PC do they open? Also if you haven't already try a restart

ReputationRep:
    Copy all required data/files and get a factory reset? My vaio was playing up and the branch in Leicester did a factory reset free of charge! I'd actually bought it from PC world, but the guys and girls there were so kind and could see my frustration. Too bad the store closed down recently

ReputationRep:
    It happens from time to time. But could you explain why the system restore and any software/hardware changes made to the laptop?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.