Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to start your own business online? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I used to have my own shop in which I used to sell clothes, shoes, and bags. However, I couldn't afford the rent of the building so I had to close it down.

Anyway, I still want to continue that but without all the rent hassle. So I was thinking of starting the business online. I don't want to sell things on ebay. I want to make my own website and sell it on there. But I don't know how much a website costs. Also do I need a license to sell things on my own website? So if anyone knows can you let me know? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hope this website will help https://www.gov.uk/licence-finder.

I'm also doing an online business for a direct selling company and I don't pay anything for that (no need to pay rent and invest money on it either) and if you like I could give more detail about this business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eagle14)
    Hope this website will help https://www.gov.uk/licence-finder.

I'm also doing an online business for a direct selling company and I don't pay anything for that (no need to pay rent and invest money on it either) and if you like I could give more detail about this business.
    Thanks for the website. I'll check it out

Have you made the website yourself? And to have a website up and running on the internet. Would I need to pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of free website builders that you can use fairly easily - such as Wix and Moonfruit. There's another one but I can't think of the name right now.
    Alternately you can get it professionally made; or make your own using software or coding, and buying your own website address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Lots of free website builders that you can use fairly easily - such as Wix and Moonfruit. There's another one but I can't think of the name right now.
    Alternately you can get it professionally made; or make your own using software or coding, and buying your own website address.
    I know how to make websites but just was thinking about the cost of the website address. Like how much would I need to pay for that

ReputationRep:
    Hosting: $10
    Domain Name: $2-3 using discount codes.

that's all you need

since I assume you know how to code in HTML, CSS/PHP etc.. you'll have no problems. You'd also probably want to learn how to market online effectively too. =]

hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Hosting: $10
    Domain Name: $2-3 using discount codes.

that's all you need

since I assume you know how to code in HTML, CSS/PHP etc.. you'll have no problems. You'd also probably want to learn how to market online effectively too. =]

hope this helps.
    I know how to do the basic HTML and XHTML. But like If I want to hire someone to do the maintenance of my website like from time to time then how much would that cost roughly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie786)
    I know how to do the basic HTML and XHTML. But like If I want to hire someone to do the maintenance of my website like from time to time then how much would that cost roughly?
    Hmm if your website has just started out then you won't really need an extra person to actually maintain it.. as long as you regularly back up for site and its database you'll be fine.. Are you specifically referring to security or general improvements?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm if your website has just started out then you won't really need an extra person to actually maintain it.. as long as you regularly back up for site and its database you'll be fine.. Are you specifically referring to security or general improvements?
    Like of course I'll be busy with my studies as well so I'll need someone to keep updating the website like pictures of new stock and that.

ReputationRep:
    Like of course I'll be busy with my studies as well so I'll need someone to keep updating the website like pictures of new stock and that.
    Ahh right!! Pepople per hour or Odesk would be the cheapest way to do that imo! I haven't used them for mine yet, but it's definitely what I plan to do once I can start outsourcing.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right!! Pepople per hour or Odesk would be the cheapest way to do that imo! I haven't used them for mine yet, but it's definitely what I plan to do once I can start outsourcing.

And if I need help again. Can I quote you again? Because I had more questions but can't remember them as such

ReputationRep:

And if I need help again. Can I quote you again? Because I had more questions but can't remember them as such
    yeah sure or pm me

ReputationRep:
    yeah sure or pm me
    Okie :cute:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.