Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my A levels options really be that hard? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am going into year 12 next year and have chosen biology, chemistry, physics and maths(m). Personally i do enjoy the subjects but a lot of my peers keep going on about how it will be too hard which is putting me off.

However, i am hardworking and am prepared to work hard but will it really be that bad?

I have chosen them to keep many doors in the science industry open as i am not sure whether to pursue into medicine or engineering.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're prepared to give it your all it should work out, especially since you're doing 4 subjects which is the norm, but they are 4 hard subjects tbh!
    Talking from experience I've done my AS levels and it's quite a step up from GCSE. If you're happy with your choice of subjects you shouldn't care what other people think, it's your future!

ReputationRep:
    Yes they will be. You will be working your ass off and your friends will be doing easier subjects having a much easier time still pulling As unless you are naturally talented at the above. It also depends on your school, do they have good departments for those subjects? Or are the departments relatively bad?

You don't have to do all four in order to keep doors open, you apply with three A levels (predicted)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JhusJane)
    I am going into year 12 next year and have chosen biology, chemistry, physics and maths(m).
    If it's anything like the programmes my sixth-form ran (I forget the exam boards) then you're in for a hellish A2 year. A lot of courses only ask for a specific science and then one other non-specific science, so have you considered swapping out one of your choices for a humanities such as History? If nothing else then it'll display different skills whilst still being a very reputable subject.

ReputationRep:
    If they're the subjects you enjoy and you're prepared to work hard you'll be fine. Yes they are known as "hard" subjects, but there's some overlap between them which will help you. You may find you have to put more hours in than some of your friends, but you'll get more of a reward from it. I know a lot of people that did the sciences & maths and had no problem. Plus, as you said, it will leave you in a great position at the end of A2 as pretty much any science path is open to you at Uni. The only thing I would say is that it is quite narrow just doing sciences and maths. That's fine if you want that, but if you think it might get a bit monotonous you may want to choose a different kind of subject for your fourth A Level - like English, History, etc. that's more essay based to give you something a bit different.

I think any combination of 4 A Levels is manageable. It only starts to get silly when people insist on doing 5+.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, if you enjoy the subjects and make an effort to fully understand everything it shouldn't be too difficult. I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology this year and never really found it overwhelming.

ReputationRep:
    I did those exact four (just finished year 12, so I can only tell you about AS). Personally I do NOT see why people think they're so hard?? Surely, if you're doing all three sciences and maths, then those subjects are your strong points, like for me they're some of the easiest four options I could've taken, like English or History or even Geography would've been hellish for me, even business or drama would be, and those are seen as easy subjects by people.

So honestly, don't listen to those people saying how much harder you're going to have it, A levels are hard, I'm not saying your subjects are easy, but they're by no means harder than any others. If you've taken those four then I assume you like them/are good at them. I never found my AS subjects overwhelming, my main issues have been with chemistry, but that's more 'cause my school somehow hired a really bad set of chemistry teachers.

So yeah, don't worry, your subjects will be hard, but by no means impossible, or even any more difficult than anyone else's Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I say this to everyone, it's only hard if you make it hard. If you enjoy those subjects, which I hope you do, it won't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Awh thank you all very much yeah i am planning to take those four at AS level after then to A2 i will drop one of the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okkefac)
    I did those exact four (just finished year 12, so I can only tell you about AS). Personally I do NOT see why people think they're so hard?? Surely, if you're doing all three sciences and maths, then those subjects are your strong points, like for me they're some of the easiest four options I could've taken, like English or History or even Geography would've been hellish for me, even business or drama would be, and those are seen as easy subjects by people.

So honestly, don't listen to those people saying how much harder you're going to have it, A levels are hard, I'm not saying your subjects are easy, but they're by no means harder than any others. If you've taken those four then I assume you like them/are good at them. I never found my AS subjects overwhelming, my main issues have been with chemistry, but that's more 'cause my school somehow hired a really bad set of chemistry teachers.

So yeah, don't worry, your subjects will be hard, but by no means impossible, or even any more difficult than anyone else's Good luck!
    Ahhh right cool, yes personally i think that's probably the 'easiest' i can pick compared to other subjects available. Out of interest, how did you find that combination, did you regret any of them...was the workload massively overwhelming or just the same as other subject combinations? Also what were your exams like? Did you have more with that combination because i know at GCSE i took triple science and we had three more exams than those who took double???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JhusJane)
    Ahhh right cool, yes personally i think that's probably the 'easiest' i can pick compared to other subjects available. Out of interest, how did you find that combination, did you regret any of them...was the workload massively overwhelming or just the same as other subject combinations? Also what were your exams like? Did you have more with that combination because i know at GCSE i took triple science and we had three more exams than those who took double???
    I regret taking biology and chemistry, but that's mostly because I want to do maths at university, and it would have benefited me more to do further maths, and also chemistry is a weak point for me (although my school's chemistry teachers, and our exam board didn't help), as for biology though the AS wasn't that bad for me, just boring. I never found the workload overwhelming, I thought it was the same as the other subjects, I never felt like I had more to learn (sometimes it felt like I even had less to learn, but that's probably not true) so it was overwhelming as AS levels are, which is a lot of work, but you do only have four subjects so it isn't /too/ bad. As for the exams, the average exams I'd say are around 8 per student, since a lot of subjects tend to do 2 exams each, for my options I had 9 , 2 for each science and maths has three exams, and each science has a coursework section (which I hate, but you gotta live with it, I guess), so yeah it's less exams than triple science had at GCSE Although a lot of this stuff depends on what exam boards you do, but I imagine no matter what the exam board, you'll most likely have 9 exams, which isn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    People always say A levels will be really difficult, so if you expect them to be hard, they probably will be. But if you worked well in Year 11 and get good results for GCSE's you will be absolutely fine. There is no point in worrying about it. I took those 4 subjects at AS and although at first it might seem like a big jump, it isn't really that bad. 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I personally did Biology, Chemisty and Maths. As well as Further maths and Geography and in hindsight; I love those subjects and I found time running away from me as I learn something new. It's only hard if you don't enjoy the subject, but if you love the subject motivating yourself will be so easy and you will have to dedicate time to revision, but you will enjoy it. And it won't be so hard at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh thank you very much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okkefac)
    I regret taking biology and chemistry, but that's mostly because I want to do maths at university, and it would have benefited me more to do further maths, and also chemistry is a weak point for me (although my school's chemistry teachers, and our exam board didn't help), as for biology though the AS wasn't that bad for me, just boring. I never found the workload overwhelming, I thought it was the same as the other subjects, I never felt like I had more to learn (sometimes it felt like I even had less to learn, but that's probably not true) so it was overwhelming as AS levels are, which is a lot of work, but you do only have four subjects so it isn't /too/ bad. As for the exams, the average exams I'd say are around 8 per student, since a lot of subjects tend to do 2 exams each, for my options I had 9 , 2 for each science and maths has three exams, and each science has a coursework section (which I hate, but you gotta live with it, I guess), so yeah it's less exams than triple science had at GCSE Although a lot of this stuff depends on what exam boards you do, but I imagine no matter what the exam board, you'll most likely have 9 exams, which isn't too bad.
    Ahhh right thank you so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.