Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering what your thoughts are on wearing/not wearing a mortar board in an individual formal graduation photo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little pixie)
    Was wondering what your thoughts are on wearing/not wearing a mortar board in an individual formal graduation photo?
    The photographer will most likely tell you what to do, since they have a standard pose and a lot of people to get through in the time. Different universities have different traditions as well. For example, Edinburgh doesn't use mortar boards at all.

ReputationRep:
    we had the option of it for the photo - my undergrad university doesn't actually have mortar boards as part of its academic dress though, just gowns. i chose to wear it at the time because i wanted the 'classic' photo but actually kind of wish i hadn't bothered, since it wasn't relevant to/part of the day at all.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen a graduation photo without one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    The photographer will most likely tell you what to do, since they have a standard pose and a lot of people to get through in the time. Different universities have different traditions as well. For example, Edinburgh doesn't use mortar boards at all.
    I believe we would have the choice.

(Original post by jelly1000)
    I've never seen a graduation photo without one!
    Possibly they are 'stock' photos.

ReputationRep:
    I believe we would have the choice.

Possibly they are 'stock' photos.
    Is it part of the outfit you've hired? Or optional? FWIW I'm wearing one in mine and I look a complete twonkpot, and my husband and my son aren't in theirs, and they look relatively normal. Your mileage may vary, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Is it part of the outfit you've hired? Or optional?
    One is available, from the official photographers, to wear for the individual formal photo.

Though not used during the actual graduation ceremony.

I'm wearing one in mine and I look a complete twonkpot,
    That's what would concern me.

ReputationRep:
    One is available, from the official photographers, to wear for the individual formal photo.

Though not used during the actual graduation ceremony.

That's what would concern me.
    'If in doubt, leave it out' is a motto I've found very useful in life.

ReputationRep:
    'If in doubt, leave it out' is a motto I've found very useful in life.
    Yes.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ask your parents, they are the only people that are going to see/treasure/bother about the photo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Ask your parents, they are the only people that are going to see/treasure/bother about the photo!
    You are so right. The mortarboard atrocity is on my parents' bedroom wall, and my son's is on the bookcase ready to whip out and taunt him when he comes home...

ReputationRep:
    I have a mortar board on in my graduation photo and look ridiculous. Daughter doesn't and she looks gorgeous.

(caveat: this may or may not have anything to do with the mortar board…….)

Seriously - have both taken and see what looks best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    I have a mortar board on in my graduation photo and look ridiculous. Daughter doesn't and she looks gorgeous.

(caveat: this may or may not have anything to do with the mortar board…….)

Seriously - have both taken and see what looks best.
    Given the similarities between your post and mine, I suspect it says more about the nature of motherhood than the advisability of mortar board wearing....

ReputationRep:
    Given the similarities between your post and mine, I suspect it says more about the nature of motherhood than the advisability of mortar board wearing....
    True. Luckily I didn't let my mum anywhere near my graduation photos.

ReputationRep:
    The Open University does not have a mortar board as part of their official graduation outfit, but you have the option to buy one if you so desired.

I did not - and very happy with the results.

My wife on the other hand did, and she looks gorgeous. I may of course be somewhat biased !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.