Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you get sacked as a student on a placement? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been considering a placement for a while and have applied to many companies - from very small start ups to large multimillion corporations.

Unfortunately, I have been rejected from most, but I stand a very good chance with another company. The role advertised matches my interests and I will need to learn a lot whilst working. When I asked them this in the first interview, they seemed ok with this.

I know I am a student, but realistically speaking there is only so much you can learn at uni.

My fear is, if I get given a task at my workplace and I can't do it - due to lack of experience, can they shout at me and fire me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

I have been considering a placement for a while and have applied to many companies - from very small start ups to large multimillion corporations.

Unfortunately, I have been rejected from most, but I stand a very good chance with another company. The role advertised matches my interests and I will need to learn a lot whilst working. When I asked them this in the first interview, they seemed ok with this.

I know I am a student, but realistically speaking there is only so much you can learn at uni.

My fear is, if I get given a task at my workplace and I can't do it - due to lack of experience, can they shout at me and fire me?
    I would feel that they wouldn't give you a task to do that you cannot physically do. That, and that you wouldn't really get fired because of it (unless it was very serious). Also, it's not like you've had a fight with a colleague, so I see no reason why they'd fire you over it.

I think that if you tell them "I can't do this because I don't know how to" then they'd give you the training/tell you how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer... yes, you can be sacked from anywhere

ReputationRep:
    I am currently at a placement and i have realised that they dont expect too much of you!

Everything you have learnt at university will be put to the test but only if you show them you are able to do it. The more you show that you are able to do things, the more responsibility you will get.

They will never shout and fire you, most of the time they love students because they can see themselves in you when they were young. They love when you ask questions so don’t be afraid to do so because it shows that you have an interest and are willing to learn new things and about the company.

You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Most companies have a 3 month probation period to show you can handle the job role

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christinaok)
    Most companies have a 3 month probation period to show you can handle the job role
    Please explain this probation period to me. My friend has one of these as well.

What is it exactly?

ReputationRep:
    You basically have 3 months that will determine if you are an asset to the company. Within those 3 months you can be let go, after those three months they can't really fire you.
    Just ask loads of questions during those 3 months and show the skills you have learnt from uni and outside uni. Try make friends with people as well to show that you are fitting into the company.

ReputationRep:
    You basically have 3 months that will determine if you are an asset to the company. Within those 3 months you can be let go, after those three months they can't really fire you.
    Just ask loads of questions during those 3 months and show the skills you have learnt from uni and outside uni. Try make friends with people as well to show that you are fitting into the company.
    What happens if they fire you in the three months?

Will you get a bad reputation or can you state it as a 3 month internship?

ReputationRep:
    Yup just state it as a 3 month internship because you leant a lot even in your first week

ReputationRep:
    Yup just state it as a 3 month internship because you leant a lot even in your first week
    Won't it ruin my reputation - in the sense that I get a bad reference

Also will they have a go at me once I get sacked?

ReputationRep:
    Also, what happens if the recruiter is a 'rough' character?

I have seen HR in the past who smile a lot and friendly, but they are not straightforward

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to state it in your CV that you worked there because you run the risk of getting asked why you left. If you make good friends with permanent staff I’m sure they wouldn’t hesitate to write you a good reference

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to state it in your CV that you worked there because you run the risk of getting asked why you left. If you make good friends with permanent staff I’m sure they wouldn’t hesitate to write you a good reference
    Also, what happens if the recruiter is a 'rough' character?

I have seen HR in the past who smile a lot and friendly, but they are not straightforward

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you act yourself, use techniques such as STAR to answer your questions and make sure you have good background knowledge of the company. Don't bounce off their energy, if they seem rough just make sure you seem confident (Some just do it to scare you) lol

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you act yourself, use techniques such as STAR to answer your questions and make sure you have good background knowledge of the company. Don't bounce off their energy, if they seem rough just make sure you seem confident (Some just do it to scare you) lol
    Thanks.

As in I meant that the HR person is a 'rough' character in general

ReputationRep:
    I am currently at a placement and i have realised that they dont expect too much of you!

Everything you have learnt at university will be put to the test but only if you show them you are able to do it. The more you show that you are able to do things, the more responsibility you will get.

They will never shout and fire you, most of the time they love students because they can see themselves in you when they were young. They love when you ask questions so don’t be afraid to do so because it shows that you have an interest and are willing to learn new things and about the company.

You'll be fine
    Thanks for the reassurance?

What tips can you offer me for my second interview? I am up against one other candidate. What sort of questions should I ask them?

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth asking the following question:
    Do you have any doubts or concerns about me or my ability to perform in this role?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.