Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anyone else starting to get scared of arsenal? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    They're spending money for fun, like 35m for Sanchez and apparently they're going to buy Samuel Khedira ! As a united/Chelsea fan I am starting to think they can challenge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad effort.

ReputationRep:
    See this is the problem.

Everyone has been complaining that Chelsea and City were ruining football by just buying in ready made talent and saying what you should be doing is investing in young players and bringing young players through. But at the same time they were all laughing at Arsenal going how many years since you've won a trophy hahaha you'll never win anything with Wenger, he's too afraid to spend money.

Now I expect if Arsenal have some success they have to be put in the "ruining football by buying the title" category.

I think the jury is out on Arsenal. I still think they are a fair bit behind the big two of Chelsea and City in terms of squad depth and all round firepower. However they've been quite a way off in terms of squad strength for a few years and have been closer in touch than you might otherwise expect. They were the best team in the league over the second half of 2012/13 and first half of 2013/14, the reason they weren't in the final shake up last year is because they get smashed by the top teams all the time.

Arsenal are in a similar situation to Liverpool: they don't have the squad depth of Chelsea/City but they have a good manager and a good first XI and so given a good run of luck on the injuries front they can challenge. Arsenal in recent seasons have had bad luck with injuries which has exposed their lack of depth.

Last year you would say Liverpool were a more dangerous team than Arsenal but I think with these signings and Suarez leaving, Arsenal have moved ahead of Liverpool. Sanchez is a bit like Suarez: I don't think he's as good as Suarez but he's not that far off, so that's a danger for everyone else. If Ozil recaptures his form then they will be very dangerous with Ozil having fast runners like Sanchez and Walcott running on to his through balls. Liverpool are in the situation Spurs were last season with a big pot of cash having lost their best player, and Spurs didn't get it right so Liverpool have a big challenge here.

I think the other big consequence of Arsenal making these signings is they are making the Champions League more out of reach for the likes of Spurs and Everton. LVG has got a real challenge on his hands to get in to that top 4: City and Chelsea are out of reach this season, so any pretenders to the top 4 need to chase down one of Arsenal or Liverpool. Not easy.

ReputationRep:
    Lost you at the 'united/chelsea fan'.

Great thread though, had alot of fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkysarmy)
    Lost you at the 'united/chelsea fan'.

Great thread though, had alot of fun.
    exactly what I was thinking:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's Arsenal, doesn't matter who they buy they'll have a strong start to the season then buckle under the pressure and finish 4th.

Not scared.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They still don't have enough goals to really challenge for me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.