Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I’m planning to work in the UK for the next 1-2 years to gain some international experience and to improve my English. The problem is that I don’t know if it’s possible to apply for jobs from abroad (EU member state) without an UK address, phone number, NI number, etc. Of course if I had an offer I would move right away but I don’t want to go until I have a job there.

What do you think: do I have a chance this way? Or should I move to the UK and then look for a job? I have a masters degree in finance & accounting, 2 years experience at a Big Four and I’m (hopefully) finishing ACCA in December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lenolay)
    Hi all,

I’m planning to work in the UK for the next 1-2 years to gain some international experience and to improve my English. The problem is that I don’t know if it’s possible to apply for jobs from abroad (EU member state) without an UK address, phone number, NI number, etc. Of course if I had an offer I would move right away but I don’t want to go until I have a job there.

What do you think: do I have a chance this way? Or should I move to the UK and then look for a job? I have a masters degree in finance & accounting, 2 years experience at a Big Four and I’m (hopefully) finishing ACCA in December.
    I suggest you moving to the UK and starting to look for a job while you're there. If you stay in your country it won't be possible to go to interviews, that are very important for any type of job. Before you leave you can contact or search for information about the firms you want to work for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lenolay)
    Hi all,

I think for experienced hire roles it's going to be difficult. Most employers are going to be wary about how long it's going to take you to move to the UK once an offer is made. Interviews will also be a pain.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys, you’re probably right. I hoped that interviews could be conducted through Skype or phone but that is more risky for an employer. Maybe I have some chance for “distance application” if I apply for my own company (ie the UK member firm of the Big Four I’m currently working at). I no success, I’ll move and then look for a job.

ReputationRep:
    I am about to commence doing the same thing, but I don't want to start til February.

As a Big 4 employee in Australia, I have a reasonable amount of confidence that I could probably get a job at a Top 10 Professional Services firm in London, assuming I cannot get a secondment with my current employee for when I want.

I will also be trying to go through a recruiter (I put out a feeler, and got told to contact one him again in September), and will be applying for jobs.

I think I am most likely to have luck with:
    1. Trying to get a secondment or going into a Top 10.
    2. Recruiter.
    3. Applying for jobs.

I really rate my chance of getting a job if I try each option.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AussieAccountant)
    I am about to commence doing the same thing, but I don't want to start til February.

As a Big 4 employee in Australia, I have a reasonable amount of confidence that I could probably get a job at a Top 10 Professional Services firm in London, assuming I cannot get a secondment with my current employee for when I want.

I will also be trying to go through a recruiter (I put out a feeler, and got told to contact one him again in September), and will be applying for jobs.

I think I am most likely to have luck with:
    1. Trying to get a secondment or going into a Top 10.
    2. Recruiter.
    3. Applying for jobs.

I really rate my chance of getting a job if I try each option.
    How do secondments work to get into UK?

ReputationRep:
    Finished CA subjects.
    Find an internally posted temporary job.
    Get approval from a Partner in your cluster.
    Apply to the job. If successful, airfares/temp.accommodation/etc is paid for. I think you get one return flight as well during the secondment.
    You commit to working for 12 months back in AUS after your secondment (you have a premanent job, but, if you leave within 12 months you have to pay the transfer costs that they paid for your secondment).

In my mind, it's relatively easy to go on secondment after 3 years..... but, flexibility to location and timing is very, very useful. Personally, I'm not flexible, which is unfortunate. If I wanted to go Canary Islands, Bermuda, etc... I'm pretty sure I could do that relatively easily, but I"m setting my sights on London which is much less certain.

Anything else you want to know specifically that I haven't covered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AussieAccountant)
    Finished CA subjects.
    Find an internally posted temporary job.
    Get approval from a Partner in your cluster.
    Apply to the job. If successful, airfares/temp.accommodation/etc is paid for. I think you get one return flight as well during the secondment.
    You commit to working for 12 months back in AUS after your secondment (you have a premanent job, but, if you leave within 12 months you have to pay the transfer costs that they paid for your secondment).
    This is quite similar to my firm. (maybe we work at the same Big 4? )

Didn't you consider moving without a secondment but with the same company? In that case you don't have to wait for three years and there is no commitment or time limit. You just apply for a permanent job in London at your company, move, and stay there as long as you want. Of course the drawback is that there is no relocation support in this case.

Btw my strategy is similar to yours:
    1. transfer (no secondment) within my company
    2. recruiters
    3. direct application

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have considered a transfer - esp. since this would make it "easier" to leave Deloitte if a dream job in London did come up that I couldn't get in Australia.

But, the support is worth $10k or so, and if I moved now to a regional office in the UK, I'd get a 10% paycut.

I'd rather take the $5k-$10k relocation assistance from my employer, have it in my hot little hands.... then if I want to leave, I can just pay it back later - it's like a free loan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.