Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So when I get off the treadmill I've been getting painful quads, not exactly numb but they feel a bit out of my control and I feel really off balance. What can I do?

My daily gym routine is a mile on the treadmill to warm up (intervals or running and power walking), stretch, core, weights, 20 minutes on the elliptical and then stretch and go home. Sometimes I'll do a class instead of the gym. I took about 6 weeks off for revision/ exams and I've just started going back about two weeks ago. I've recently tried to up my warm up to improve cardio to two miles. But now I feel terrible when I get off the treadmill. I don't know whether I'm just pushing myself too hard or if it's something else. Is there some sort or supplement/ diet change I should make that will help, like starting to take protein? I'd rather not cut down the exercise but will if I have to.

(I'm female btw)

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your over training. If you are using your legs for exercise everyday without adequate rest and recovery your legs muscles are going to suffer. On top of that if your diet isn't good and you aren't getting enough calories essentially you are degenerating your muscles because they don't have the energy and nutrition to recover.

Are you literally training every day?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but only for cardio and a few leg presses. I definitely don't have an under eating problem. :P I trained every day at uni and was absolutely fine. I try to exercise every day but I usually end up having a day off a week due to other commitments. I guess the only difference to before if that I have a holiday job that requires standing up all day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.