Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm about to start year 12 and my chosen A levels are Biology, Chemistry, Maths Statistics and Physics. I really want to go on to study medicine and so was wondering how much work you did for your A levels, what some study tips are, what you wish you had done for your A levels, if I should do any preparation over the summer and any other bits of general advice??

Thanks you!! and if you wouldn't mind could you please tell me what grades you got

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLeyla)
    Hi I'm about to start year 12 and my chosen A levels are Biology, Chemistry, Maths Statistics and Physics. I really want to go on to study medicine and so was wondering how much work you did for your A levels, what some study tips are, what you wish you had done for your A levels, if I should do any preparation over the summer and any other bits of general advice?? Thanks you!! and if you wouldn't mind could you please tell me what grades you got
    Hi there! Good luck with Year 12, it's going to be amazing
    I just started A2 and I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths (S2) this year, while for AS I did Maths (S1), Bio, Chem, Physics, English Language.
    AS results are out in a month so not sure how it went yet but I'm hoping to do Medicine too!
    If you need any help with any of your subjects feel free to let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharvarivadeyar)
    Hi there! Good luck with Year 12, it's going to be amazing
    I just started A2 and I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths (S2) this year, while for AS I did Maths (S1), Bio, Chem, Physics, English Language.
    AS results are out in a month so not sure how it went yet but I'm hoping to do Medicine too!
    If you need any help with any of your subjects feel free to let me know!
    Thanks how did you find the science subjects at AS? Do I need to prepare myself a bit over the summer before september?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks how did you find the science subjects at AS? Do I need to prepare myself a bit over the summer before september?
    I'd say enjoy your summer but if you can go through your textbooks or just stuff online and read what interests you Maybe keep in touch with Maths a bit? But tbh you don't need to do any of that. I'd say use this time to research about stuff you'll need for your medical application! Like just go through what you'll need to do, which entrance exams for which unis and all that. Other than that take it easy! I had a 9 month gap before I started AS so I felt pretty out of touch when I began so I solved GCSE papers the first week of school. After that I was fine! This won't happen to you of course, so I don't think there's any reason to worry. If you want to do Medicine that probably means you enjoy the sciences - you'll enjoy learning lots of exciting new things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharvarivadeyar)
    I'd say enjoy your summer but if you can go through your textbooks or just stuff online and read what interests you Maybe keep in touch with Maths a bit? But tbh you don't need to do any of that. I'd say use this time to research about stuff you'll need for your medical application! Like just go through what you'll need to do, which entrance exams for which unis and all that. Other than that take it easy! I had a 9 month gap before I started AS so I felt pretty out of touch when I began so I solved GCSE papers the first week of school. After that I was fine! This won't happen to you of course, so I don't think there's any reason to worry. If you want to do Medicine that probably means you enjoy the sciences - you'll enjoy learning lots of exciting new things!
    Okay thanks, I'll make sure to do some reading then One thing I've heard a lot is that A Levels are a huge step up from GCSEs, is this really the case? Btw I hope you get the results you wanted in august!!

ReputationRep:
    I almost forgot I did A levels until I read this...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm about to start year 12 and my chosen A levels are Biology, Chemistry, Maths Statistics and Physics. I really want to go on to study medicine and so was wondering how much work you did for your A levels, what some study tips are, what you wish you had done for your A levels, if I should do any preparation over the summer and any other bits of general advice??

Thanks you!! and if you wouldn't mind could you please tell me what grades you got
    I did Scottish qualifications, but the advice would be the same. I didn't work towards school stuff at all in the summer. Don't worry about A-levels, just keep on top of the work during term time and you'll be fine, there's no need to do anything over the holidays.

What I would say is that right now is the right sort of time to start looking at building your CV. Medical schools do like to see long term commitment to volunteering and other extra cuticular activities on your personal statement!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks, I'll make sure to do some reading then One thing I've heard a lot is that A Levels are a huge step up from GCSEs, is this really the case? Btw I hope you get the results you wanted in august!!
    Hmm I'd say it shouldn't be the case if you work hard right from the beginning of term. Like the first few chapters you learn form the base f or whatever is to come so make sure you know them solid. You'll be fine, don't worry!
    Thank you so much! Fingers crossed !

ReputationRep:

For bio and chem i typed up my otes from that day every night when i came home so i had one ppt slide of each topic and printed then off so i had the cards constantly in my pocket this helped me clear my mind massively and was quite therapeutic. I also made posters as i went alog ie one poster per the lesson we had done that day and kept a book where i wrote down the main processes we had learnt that day as well as school work set by teachers. My god that sounds a lot but i did it! Work as you go along clear things up and make sure you know things off by heart as you do them in class that is my advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    For bio and chem i typed up my otes from that day every night when i came home so i had one ppt slide of each topic and printed then off so i had the cards constantly in my pocket this helped me clear my mind massively and was quite therapeutic. I also made posters as i went alog ie one poster per the lesson we had done that day and kept a book where i wrote down the main processes we had learnt that day as well as school work set by teachers. My god that sounds a lot but i did it! Work as you go along clear things up and make sure you know things off by heart as you do them in class that is my advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow that is a lot of work! Typing up my notes sounds like a really good idea thanks I hope you get/got amazing results after all that work!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Do a ****load of past papers!

ReputationRep:

No matter what, don't let the application process for medicine affect your a level performance! A-levels are of a higher priority. Avoid taking too much voluntary jobs on, I had 3 and was doing about 9 hours a week which was way too much. As long as you have the correct mindset the jump to a levels isn't that big. Everyone says chemistry is the hardest but I thought it was one of my easiest a levels to be honest. I would say biology is harder because a large amount of the spec is based on graphs and how science works stuff which I despise. Maths isn't too bad just do every past paper you can think of plus do the ones from other exam boards! Examsolutions is the best website for maths revision. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Wow that is a lot of work! Typing up my notes sounds like a really good idea thanks I hope you get/got amazing results after all that work!!
    It really didnt seem like that at the time because i had a lot of frees in yr 13! Typing them out is very therapeutic i used to do it of a night watxhing tv at the same time haha but its good to get things out your head! Oh and simplyfy all bio processes into five mark points a lot of teachers over complicate it and its really not necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    It really didnt seem like that at the time because i had a lot of frees in yr 13! Typing them out is very therapeutic i used to do it of a night watxhing tv at the same time haha but its good to get things out your head! Oh and simplyfy all bio processes into five mark points a lot of teachers over complicate it and its really not necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice! can you suggest any good revision guides or online resources for the sciences other than the CGP books?
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Do the past papers. Revise earlier than you think you need to - the more you can cover early the less stress you'll have nearer the exams! Keep your knowledge refreshed. Read around your subject a bit if you have time, it'll help link things together. Revision guides are OK but don't give enough detail really. And enjoy the summer after

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.