Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in learning a new language, something like Italian. I I did study French at in the first year of high school, but didn't really pay attention. Which language do you think I should learn. I like the sound of Italian ( and also their culture, food etc., but I have read that learning Spanish is more useful for employment etc/ and is a more popular language compared to the other. What language would you learn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Linguistically speaking, I'd say it doesn't make too much of a difference whether you learn either Spanish or Italian. Both are Romance languages, although Italian probably shares more lingustic patterns with the common ancestor of the Romance languages, that being Latin. Latin was highly important in the development of Western culture and if you're interested in that then learning Italian might put you on good stead in learning Latin. Spanish is generally regarded as being more desirable in the market world due to the widespread existence of Spanish as an official language in countries around the world, the reason being Spain's imperial expansion between the 16th and 19th centuries AD. But perhaps Italian would be better for certain fields, for example if you decide to go into fashion design then learning Italian would be useful the reason being Milan's status as a fashion capital.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently self-teaching italian and i love it - love the sound of the language and love the country.

Don't pick a language because you think it'll be useful - you're more likely to stick at something you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefailure)
    Linguistically speaking, I'd say it doesn't make too much of a difference whether you learn either Spanish or Italian. Both are Romance languages, although Italian probably shares more lingustic patterns with the common ancestor of the Romance languages, that being Latin. Latin was highly important in the development of Western culture and if you're interested in that then learning Italian might put you on good stead in learning Latin. Spanish is generally regarded as being more desirable in the market world due to the widespread existence of Spanish as an official language in countries around the world, the reason being Spain's imperial expansion between the 16th and 19th centuries AD. But perhaps Italian would be better for certain fields, for example if you decide to go into fashion design then learning Italian would be useful the reason being Milan's status as a fashion capital.
    Thanks for the detailed answer it helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ifyouseelaura)
    I'm currently self-teaching italian and i love it - love the sound of the language and love the country.

Don't pick a language because you think it'll be useful - you're more likely to stick at something you like.

Yep same here. I think I'll learn Italian, but It'll probably take time. How are u teaching yourself, are u using an app? Thanks for your advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.