Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I received an offer to study philosophy at Oxford Brookes this September but I decided to study either midwifery or Adult nursing and mental health nursing. For midwifery, it appears that the University requires that the applicant had studied an A level in science.

I had achieved an A in philosophy, A in psychology and C in history for AS levels but I don't have a science a level.

I am now waiting for my A2 results this August.

What's the likelihood that if I were to do midwifery, I would be accepted without a science A level?

What's the likelihood that I can change from a philosophy degree to Adult nursing and mental health nursing? Do nursing courses/midwifery tend to be full by results day?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is often counted as a science A-level, just check with the uni. Phone your uni and ask if you can switch, you may still be able to at this stage and that will be a whole lot easier than clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottehall96)
    Psychology is often counted as a science A-level, just check with the uni. Phone your uni and ask if you can switch, you may still be able to at this stage and that will be a whole lot easier than clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I called Brookes and I have been applying for volunteer work that could help for nursing but they do not have vacancies!! It is possible if someone withdrew their application for me to be shifted onto the course. They do accept psychology although I think it is an error to count it as a science but anyhow it is to my advantage this time. Are you also applying for nursing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theike)
    Thank you! I called Brookes and I have been applying for volunteer work that could help for nursing but they do not have vacancies!! It is possible if someone withdrew their application for me to be shifted onto the course. They do accept psychology although I think it is an error to count it as a science but anyhow it is to my advantage this time. Are you also applying for nursing?
    My friend was on a sport and exercise science degree last year at Brooke's, she called to change and they told her they had no spaces, she got a call 6 weeks later offering her a space on the physiotherapy course because someone withdrew their application so it is possible! I applied for children's nursing and hold a conditional offer at bucks new uni for this September so fingers crossed! I originally applied for biomedical science, declined 5 offers and went through extra as a late applicant for nursing so it is possible to do it! At this stage swapping/clearing may be your only option as extra is now closed but if you couldn't get in this year why don't you try and work as a HCA for a year and reapply for nursing for the 2015 cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My friend was on a sport and exercise science degree last year at Brooke's, she called to change and they told her they had no spaces, she got a call 6 weeks later offering her a space on the physiotherapy course because someone withdrew their application so it is possible! I applied for children's nursing and hold a conditional offer at bucks new uni for this September so fingers crossed! I originally applied for biomedical science, declined 5 offers and went through extra as a late applicant for nursing so it is possible to do it! At this stage swapping/clearing may be your only option as extra is now closed but if you couldn't get in this year why don't you try and work as a HCA for a year and reapply for nursing for the 2015 cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're making me optimistic I am keen to go University this September 2014 as I am already 19 and do not want to delay it any longer. I am really angry at myself though because I am doing much more research about universities now and courses than I did during UCAS application time. I might email Brookes and ask them to notify me if anyone withdraws but I doubt they can do that.

Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    You're making me optimistic I am keen to go University this September 2014 as I am already 19 and do not want to delay it any longer. I am really angry at myself though because I am doing much more research about universities now and courses than I did during UCAS application time. I might email Brookes and ask them to notify me if anyone withdraws but I doubt they can do that.

Thank you!!!
    That makes sense but if you couldn't do it this year it's better late than never phone Brookes because I emailed them about course changing before I declined them for biomed and they never replied so phone just to be sure! It's not worth the risk :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PS Midwifery is super competitive, don't be disheartened if you don't get in. It's possible to do an adult nursing degree and afterwards do an 18 month conversion course to become a midwife

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PS Midwifery is super competitive, don't be disheartened if you don't get in. It's possible to do an adult nursing degree and afterwards do an 18 month conversion course to become a midwife

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My ideal course would be Adult nursing and mental health nursing I will call them tomorrow. Thank you so much for the advice and hope you have a brilliant time at your university

ReputationRep:
    My ideal course would be Adult nursing and mental health nursing I will call them tomorrow. Thank you so much for the advice and hope you have a brilliant time at your university
    Ooh awesome! Good luck and let me know how it goes! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions thank you! I hope they let you swap x

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.