Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LLM.......does it matter? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Do you need an LLM degree following your LLB honors degree if you want to go for PHD, or can you directly go for PHD. after it as it is a 4 or 5 years degree???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hassan Qadri)
    Hello,
    Do you need an LLM degree following your LLB honors degree if you want to go for PHD, or can you directly go for PHD. after it as it is a 4 or 5 years degree???
    If you look at the entry requirements for PhD study at a number of law schools I think you'll find that while an LLM is not an essential requirement that it is desirable.

Skipping the LLM year was a route which I took myself but I needed a number of factors working in my favour to ensure a successful application. I am a "mature" mature student so I was bringing relevant experience from 2 previous careers. I spent a year between LLB and PhD study doing voluntary work in an area directly related to my PhD research, and building up contacts in that field to facilitate empirical research. I stayed at the same institution, so I was well known to faculty staff, proposed supervisors and those considering my application. I had tailored my LLB subjects directly towards the area I hoped to research at postgrad level. Finally, Research Methods and Ethics was a compulsory taught module for all PhD students at my institution. (This is the area, I think, where the absence of an LLM will be most telling.)

I think that if any of those factors had been missing that I would have had great difficulty making a successful PhD application direct from LLB. That's not to say it cannot be done but I think you need to consider what else you are bringing to the table in the absence of an LLM. I think you probably need more than a flawless undergrad transcript.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your detailed reply. I have a further questions.
    Where did you do your PHD. research, which country?
    What Law system was yours Common Law or......???
    Is this degree universally acknowledged??
    Means that it depends on your Law school and YOURSELF......but you CAN skip LLM and directly go for PHD.........

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.