The Student Room Group

Using Letters After Your Name - Cringeworthy or Acceptable?

Poll

Is it acceptable to use letters after your names in the follow situations:

Hi TSR,

I want your input on a debate I had with a friend following an email I received from someone in the HR department at work.

I'll use fake names throughout in case she just so happens to be identified, but it goes something like this...

I received an email from Britney in the HR department at my work and she signed off her email with:

'Yours Sincerely,

Britney Spears BS.c PGDip PGCert'

I found this to be awfully pretentious/cringe-worthy whilst my friend disagreed, saying 'she studied for them and earned them, so has the right to use them'.

Now, she works as an HR Assistant doing mainly administrative duties, but studied BS.c Psychology at a Uni ranked ~75th, and graduated with a 2:2. She has a Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management and a Postgraduate Certificate in Marketing.

So whilst I said it was ever so cringe-worthy, we did agree on some common ground where it's probably okay.

1) It is acceptable for medical doctors and consultants to use letters after their name.

2) It is acceptable to use letters after your name on a business card that you give to a client. Such as a Financial Advisor having 'Frank Lampard BS.c' at the bottom of it.

3) It is acceptable to use letters after your name if you are a chartered professional, such as a Building Surveyor, signing of a quote to a client with 'John Terry BS.c RICS' - (RICS being the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors).

I'm sure there are a few more situations that we would agree on, but that's just a few.

But I just think it's quite embarrassing for a HR Assistant signing off an internal email to their colleagues with 'BS.c PGDip PGCert' ???

I have a bachelors & masters degree in Law and have never, ever, used them after my name in any capacity.

Furthermore, I also have another friend who studied Psychology, lets call her Lucy, and she has actually changed her name on Facebook to 'Lucy West BS.c' I honestly think that's SO cringe-worthy. Perhaps if it was on LinkedIn, I may find it less cringe-worthy but I still think it's a bit lame.

I'll add a poll to visualise the responses, but any input would make for a good discussion! I want to know whether I'm on my own or this one, or whether others are of the same opinion?

Poll will be multiple-choice by the way!
Reply 1
Original post by Pretentious Pete
Hi TSR,

I want your input on a debate I had with a friend following an email I received from someone in the HR department at work.

I'll use fake names throughout in case she just so happens to be identified, but it goes something like this...

I received an email from Britney in the HR department at my work and she signed off her email with:

'Yours Sincerely,

Britney Spears BS.c PGDip PGCert'

I found this to be awfully pretentious/cringe-worthy whilst my friend disagreed, saying 'she studied for them and earned them, so has the right to use them'.

Now, she works as an HR Assistant doing mainly administrative duties, but studied BS.c Psychology at a Uni ranked ~75th, and graduated with a 2:2. She has a Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management and a Postgraduate Certificate in Marketing.

So whilst I said it was ever so cringe-worthy, we did agree on some common ground where it's probably okay.

1) It is acceptable for medical doctors and consultants to use letters after their name.

2) It is acceptable to use letters after your name on a business card that you give to a client. Such as a Financial Advisor having 'Frank Lampard BS.c' at the bottom of it.

3) It is acceptable to use letters after your name if you are a chartered professional, such as a Building Surveyor, signing of a quote to a client with 'John Terry BS.c RICS' - (RICS being the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors).

I'm sure there are a few more situations that we would agree on, but that's just a few.

But I just think it's quite embarrassing for a HR Assistant signing off an internal email to their colleagues with 'BS.c PGDip PGCert' ???

I have a bachelors & masters degree in Law and have never, ever, used them after my name in any capacity.

Furthermore, I also have another friend who studied Psychology, lets call her Lucy, and she has actually changed her name on Facebook to 'Lucy West BS.c' I honestly think that's SO cringe-worthy. Perhaps if it was on LinkedIn, I may find it less cringe-worthy but I still think it's a bit lame.

I'll add a poll to visualise the responses, but any input would make for a good discussion! I want to know whether I'm on my own or this one, or whether others are of the same opinion?

Poll will be multiple-choice by the way!

Option two
i think its odd :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I've not used mine yet and I'm not planning to and AFAIK no-one I know who has a degree uses theirs. I think it's acceptable in some cases like the ones you've listed above, but a bit cringey otherwise.
I have a bunch of letters that I could use, but choose not to.
In my (rather long) experience of working with professionally qualified people, the more pretentious the person the more likely they are to hit you over the head with their professional qualifications.

I sometimes feel like replying with

Kind regards
just a dad
25m backstroke certificate, year 2
Reply 5
It's cringeworthy if the circumstances are informal i.e. a Facebook profile. It just makes you look pretentious.
Reply 6
If you are a professional and writing a letter and sign your name at the bottom with the letters after your name, it doesn't look stupid. But to use it as your FB name or if people ask you your name and you include the letters while talking, that's very cringy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Poll needs an option 'none of these'.

In a nutshell ... pretentious and looks like you're trying too hard to be taken seriously.
In (formal)work related stuff I don't think it's cringeworthy or something like linkedin but in informal settings (facebook etc) i think it seems like you are trying too hard
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh god I cringe so bad at the people who use them on facebook. Still not quite as bad as the people who use 'yummy mummy' as their middle name on facebook! (but still hideously embarrassing).

To be honest, I think the only place they're really required is in a professional setting - not amongst colleagues, just to clients and potential employers etc.

Quick Reply

Latest