Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuck on login page, can't remember password on windows 8. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I used to have both a picture password and just a normal password and I forgot the normal password but just used to login with the picture password. I was just in the settings and seem to have disabled the picture password so now I can't log in and I'm stuck on that login page.

I have already tried the windows password recovery application thing but it just comes up with 'system not found'.

Please help, I'm desperate!

ReputationRep:
    Is it linked to a Microsoft account? If so reset your password for that and then boot your PC with a web connection so it can get the new password http://www.pcworld.com/article/23586...-password.html

ReputationRep:
    Shift click restart and you can reinstall the OS. Windows 8 uses 4 or 5 hidden partitions, previous versions used 3, so Hiren et al don't work on removing it. Best bet is to take the Hard Drive out or boot it in a Linux Live CD or Hiren's XP, back up your data and reset it. Once reset, either link it to a Microsoft Account so you can reset the password, or right it down and put it somewhere safe.

ReputationRep:
    Boot the machine in safe mode with command prompt and type net user (username) password (password for locked or lost password)

the the password reset disk will only work if you created the disk before you were locked out. Otherwise when you can't remember the password, under the hints will give you the password wizard option.

i wouldn't suggest to instantly reformat or attempt to play with live Linux disks as these are intimidating and unnecessary for unexperienced users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brilld)
    Is it linked to a Microsoft account? If so reset your password for that and then boot your PC with a web connection so it can get the new password http://www.pcworld.com/article/23586...-password.html
    No, I didn't link it to a Microsoft account

(Original post by Jamie76)
    Boot the machine in safe mode with command prompt and type net user (username) password (password for locked or lost password)

the the password reset disk will only work if you created the disk before you were locked out. Otherwise when you can't remember the password, under the hints will give you the password wizard option.

i wouldn't suggest to instantly reformat or attempt to play with live Linux disks as these are intimidating and unnecessary for unexperienced users.
    I tried to do the net user thing before I made the initial post but when I clicked on command prompt it just needed my password again?

Yes, I will definitely be using a password reset disk next time!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9510)
    Shift click restart and you can reinstall the OS. Windows 8 uses 4 or 5 hidden partitions, previous versions used 3, so Hiren et al don't work on removing it. Best bet is to take the Hard Drive out or boot it in a Linux Live CD or Hiren's XP, back up your data and reset it. Once reset, either link it to a Microsoft Account so you can reset the password, or right it down and put it somewhere safe.
    Oh gosh this sounds complicated but thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melody19)
    Oh gosh this sounds complicated but thank you.
    If you burn Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 onto a disk, use a program such as ImgBurn if you don't already have one (make sure you click customer install and untick all the adware **** it tries to bring), then all you need to do is go into the BIOS, press the ESC button normally during boot or F2, and change it from "Netbook/Internal Hard Drive" as number one, to CD/DVD.

Press F10 to save the changes.

You'll get a screen come up that looks like DOS, just black text. Choose "Boot into Mini XP Environment" and your computer will load Windows XP.

From here, run the built in program Produkey and get any license keys you need for things like Office.

Then plug in an external Hard Drive, go to my computer, find the Hard Drive, go to Users etc and copy and paste all your data from your user account to the External Drive.

Now you've got your Office Key and all your Data safe.
    The next step will reset it to Factory Settings.

Shut the computer down, remove the CD, and press F2 and make the Internal Hard Drive boot device number 1 again.

Press F10 and save changes, and you'll go back to the Windows 8 Login Screen.

Click the screen so you get to your password bit, then hold the shift key down and press restart.

You'll get a Blue Windows Screen appear.

Click Troubleshooting.
    Then Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows (this will Factory Reset it)
    Click only the drive where Windows is installed if it asks.
    If it doesn't click "Just Remove my files" not "fully clean the drive".

Let it run, when its done you can copy your data back from your Hard Drive and reinstall Office from an iso using your Product Key, unless its 2013ed in which you can just redownload it.

I hope that helps and is a bit clearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9510)
    If you burn Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 onto a disk, use a program such as ImgBurn if you don't already have one (make sure you click customer install and untick all the adware **** it tries to bring), then all you need to do is go into the BIOS, press the ESC button normally during boot or F2, and change it from "Netbook/Internal Hard Drive" as number one, to CD/DVD.

Press F10 to save the changes.

You'll get a screen come up that looks like DOS, just black text. Choose "Boot into Mini XP Environment" and your computer will load Windows XP.

From here, run the built in program Produkey and get any license keys you need for things like Office.

Then plug in an external Hard Drive, go to my computer, find the Hard Drive, go to Users etc and copy and paste all your data from your user account to the External Drive.

Now you've got your Office Key and all your Data safe.
    The next step will reset it to Factory Settings.

Shut the computer down, remove the CD, and press F2 and make the Internal Hard Drive boot device number 1 again.

Press F10 and save changes, and you'll go back to the Windows 8 Login Screen.

Click the screen so you get to your password bit, then hold the shift key down and press restart.

You'll get a Blue Windows Screen appear.

Click Troubleshooting.
    Then Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows (this will Factory Reset it)
    Click only the drive where Windows is installed if it asks.
    If it doesn't click "Just Remove my files" not "fully clean the drive".

Let it run, when its done you can copy your data back from your Hard Drive and reinstall Office from an iso using your Product Key, unless its 2013ed in which you can just redownload it.

I hope that helps and is a bit clearer.
    Wow, thank you so much
    I currently don't have my laptop but I'll attempt this, I appreciate your help and the in depth explanation

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.